Won't shift past 5K rpm

Bustang523

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum. So I picked up a 05 mustang 4.0 auto trans with 88k miles on the clock for a good deal. but after a few months of owning I'm starting to have issues. With the drive train. I was doing an 800 mile road trip and all was fine until at one point I started to hear the timing chain. when i first heard it i was gassing it to pass someone on the interstate and half way through the pull it felt like i lost all power for a brief second and i even felt the nose of the car go down. Being me I said send it and finished the road trip just fine. One thing I did notice around that time was when I pushed the engine the engine would rev to around 5k rpm but the trans wouldn't shift. The check engine light would also flash as if it were for a misfire. It felt as if the car lost all torque and the trans didn't want to shift up a gear until I let off the gas. otherwise normal driving it was just fine i could drive it just fine other than the timing chain. I figured since both issues rose around the same time the issue was that the engine just couldn't crank high enough due to the timing chain guide breaking and thus wouldn't shift unless it reached peak power.

I pulled the engine and replaced the timing chains no problem. (this design sucks BTW) when I dropped the engine back in the car the engine ran fine. after letting the chains break in I tried to do a pull. The engine revved better and smoother with no timing chain noise. The issue now is around 5k-5.5k rpm the trans still doesn't want to shift while at wide open throttle. Occasionally the engine will throw a misfire code while doing a full pull but doesn't come back after i let off.

Here is where I'm at with my thinking. Either the engine is not making peak power for whatever reason and the car doesn't want to shift until the engine reaches peak power thus no shift at WOT. OR the trans also developed an issue at the same time and doesn't have enough fluid pressure to change gears. I'm think I might have to pull the drain plug and check the fluid level but if it is only marginally low is that enough to prevent me from shifting at full power.

Basically long story short the major question is why does my car not want to shift at it's top rpm.

Thank you for any advice in advance

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
What is the code? Thats the place to start.

Bustang523

Reaction score
What is the code? Thats the place to start.
if i remember correctly it was like P0303 I think. it was a misfire on cyl 3 but that was because it had a bad spark plug which i replaced. the last time i tried to do a pull it moved to cyl 5 but i haven't looked at the plug yet.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
When was the last time you changed / and or checked the ATF level ? If it is down, you will get shifting issues. If you change it out, use 100% synthetic.

Bustang523

Reaction score
I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge. There are known fuel pump issues with the 05 mustangs.
https://lmr.com/products/2005-Mustang-TSB-Recall

Check TSB's 06-9-9 and 09-12-12.
I'll have to check that out I didn't know they had fuel pump issues. I figure its already 15 years old and if nothing at all its preventative maintenance.

When was the last time you changed / and or checked the ATF level ? If it is down, you will get shifting issues. If you change it out, use 100% synthetic.

Thats where I'm thinking I should go I haven't touched the atf yet and to my knowledge the previous owner didn't do much to the car other than oil changes and a water pump. If the transmission can hold up for at least a year I'd probably be satisfied enough to buy a reman trans. was hoping to put a M90 supercharger on it and make it a powerful V6 but that idea is slowly going out the window.

elvis

Reaction score
I changed out my fuel pump @ 125K (before it went out...i changed the filters about 3 times by then....) 2005 car, never had any problems like that . 164k now. I had the ATF changed out @ 80K miles. if you keeping car I would get the fluid changed . Ya know every 15 years if it needs it or not, ha.

Bustang523

Reaction score
incase anyone was curious i just fixed the issue. so this issue started probably 2 months ago and i couldn't figure it out. i started to think it was getting starved of fuel so i ordered a new fuel pump. at the same time 2 weeks ago i got an engine light for the charging system so i ordered a new alternator because the battery is only about 8 months old. just threw in the alternator but not the fuel pump yet and shockingly all my shifting issues went away. feeling the old alternator it was pretty bad because it spun poorly and i could hear something that sounded like a flake of rust spinning in there. still plan on throwing the fuel pump and filter in there since i already ordered it and the old one is already 15 years old. Thanks rock auto.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back