WOW. 4x4 Diesel trucks!!!

5.0Trunk

Reaction score
Last night I was on my way home from a friends house and I decided to go through the local cruising spot. I was driving with my windows up (20% tint) when a Dodge Diesel 4x4 crewcab was riding beside me. I didn't pay any attention to him. We both got stopped side by side at the traffic light when I heard someone in the back seat of the truck trying to get my attention. I didn't roll my window down, so I started hearing him yelling 5 point slow, and just plain talking crap. The light turned green, and I drove normal, just a nice slow cruise, but he took off and I couldn't see with the big black cloud he put out. I got a kick out of that :) . Anyway, we happened to get caught at another light, I kept hearing all the smack he was talking. At this light, there was no traffic ahead of us or anywhere around, so I was thinking, OK, just a short sprint off the line should be OK. Anyway, we took off, and it was a side by side sprint for about an 1/8 mile before I let up. Some of these diesel trucks are pretty bad A$$. One thing I noticed, when I hit 3rd gear, it felt like my car fell on its face. I tend not to watch my RMPs, so I don't know if I was hitting the rev limiter. I guess I might have to invest in a small shift light. :)

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Those Cummins motors are amazing. Too bad they usually have a crappy Dodge truck wrapped around them.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
A properly set up diesel can really lay down the torque, which is what helps them in the 1/8th. But compared to our Stangs, they fall on their face, relatively speaking, at roughly 90mph. I've had a very similar experience. No traffic at all in front of us, he and I lined up at a light. He was in a Chevy diesel. You could hear the turbo spooling up every time he gave it even a little gas. So I knew he was upgraded.

With a simple flip of a switch, those guys can have over 800+ RWTq and 650+ RWHp. This cat stayed with me up to 65 or so and then, I steadily pulled away from him. With my shifting and hookup, I probably ran a high four second 0-60. That's frikken MOVIN for a truck on 33's! His turbo hurt my ears as it spooled up before his shift. His whole bed torqued on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Was amazing to see and the cloud of blackness he left probably obscured the vision of the two cars behind us at the light.

Second time we got stopped at a light, it was all Mustang from the dig up to 100. He was likely suffering from heat soak though after the first hard run.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 275 tune in my 6.4 powerstroke and it's pretty crazy for an 8000 truck. I was fucking with a friend last night, he thinks his Hyundai Genesis is bad ass and will smoke a mustang. I asked him if he wanted to race my truck and he didn't have much to say after I told him which tune I was running.

dgann3

forum member
Reaction score
A properly set up diesel can really lay down the torque, which is what helps them in the 1/8th. But compared to our Stangs, they fall on their face, relatively speaking, at roughly 90mph.

This.

I have a pretty hot 6.0 Powerstroke and can kill any Mustang around here off the line....but the closer it gets to 90-100, the slower I get.

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running a 275 tune in my 6.4 powerstroke and it's pretty crazy for an 8000 truck. I was fucking with a friend last night, he thinks his Hyundai Genesis is bad ass and will smoke a mustang. I asked him if he wanted to race my truck and he didn't have much to say after I told him which tune I was running.

I have the same tune with DPF delete turbo back exhaust, cold air and Spartan Tuner....The truck straight up flys....Their are people running mid 11s with the same upgrades.....

Scary being in a 8000lb truck moving sideways down the road!

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
You never know about some of these diesels. Like others have said, flip a switch and they make big power. My old Dodge 1 ton 2 wheel drive dually ran 12.20's @ 111. It made 602whp @ 914ft lbs.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Diesels are 1/8 mile monsters. They makes tons of power and there damn 4x4 helps out a ton off the line. On a side note I wish I could hook up a box and make a extra 150 to 200 hp =(

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed, when I hit 3rd gear, it felt like my car fell on its face. I tend not to watch my RMPs, so I don't know if I was hitting the rev limiter. I guess I might have to invest in a small shift light. :)

Hate to say it, but you prob. hit 5th. instead. I have done this during a demonstration of the 5.0 to a passenger, felt stupid. Anyway, good luck beating a tuned diesel in a short race!

PS: you might have a shift light already..from Ford, if you have a 'premium'

Last edited:

quick3v

forum member
Reaction score
my company truck is a 2005 sierra Duratrash/allison with edge juice with attitude, 5" straight pipe, and air raid cold air. I took it to the track once and ran a 8.12 in the 1/8 which is only a half second behind my car runs but the truck trapped 82 mph where the car traps 96 mph. Still nice of my boss to give me an 8 second truck to drive. lol

5.0Trunk

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but you prob. hit 5th. instead. I have done this during a demonstration of the 5.0 to a passenger, felt stupid. Anyway, good luck beating a tuned diesel in a short race!

PS: you might have a shift light already..from Ford, if you have a 'premium'

Possibly right about the 5th gear :) . I only have a base model, so I will be looking for a small SL.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Diesels are fun when set up right. My bro in law has a pretty quick d max. To bad around here they are turning in to the new ricers and pissing everyone around them off.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Rollin coal is the only way to go. My powerstroke smokes like a locomotive when punched. They do surprise most people.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've been told of a white Chevy dually up in Anaheim making about 1000ft-lbs. I think warned would be a better term. One of the last times I took my old 98 GT to the 1/8th mile I was lined up against a Chevy 4x4. I was glad I got a good launch because we were next to each other. The main difference is I was shifting my ass off while he just punched it.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I raced a cummins a while back before the turbo and before I even had a tune; at that point he was a mid 13s truck. He put a bigger turbo on and bigger injectors and such. Shitty thing is the guy that put the injectors on messed up something and the injectors spued diesel fuel all over the motor and it finally got hot enough to burn and burnt the whole truck to the ground.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I really enjoy watching these trucks spool up at Test and Tune nights. We usually can get two or three of them and they sound pretty awesome.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back