wrapped my 401A dash panels with CF vinyl

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I really wanted a darker dash panel in my car with a bit less glare. The 401A dark stainless panel is nice, but its very retro looking and I wanted a bit more modern look for the car. Unfortunately all pics are with an iPhone, my dslr setup is currently missing a wide angle lens (something I keep meaning to buy/replace)

So I hopped on ebay, and bought a length of carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

cfwrap-1.jpg

I carefully removed all the dash panels (pretty straightforward, just remember to disconnect battery before disconnecting airbag on passenger side). I used this link: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499 to read the service manual on removing the panels (the cluster surround pulls out, the airbag is removed by two bolts you access from under the glovebox with it dropped, and the remaining panels are held in by 5x 7mm bolts). Once the parts were out, I made quick work of disassembling the chrome trim rings, AC vents and other parts to get to the bare panels. There's no real documentation on how to do it, but its pretty straight forward. Some smooth flat objects (I used some old butterknives) make quick work of undoing all the latches.

I tried a couple different methods of installing the vinyl, but there's two basic techniques that are musts: water + heat. Using a spray bottle, I sprayed down the part (and the vinyl) that was getting applied:

cfwrap-2.jpg

Id apply the vinyl, then using a squeegee get all the bubbles and water out, leaving a well adhered smooth surace.

Then using heat from a blowdryer, I "pulled" all the edges around to "form" the vinyl to the complex shapes (may appear to be flat panels, but you really need to wrap all around to get the OEM look and quality of finish I wanted). I'd trim the excess, and make sure that there

cfwrap-4.jpg

cfwrap-5.jpg

cfwrap-6.jpg

here is one finished piece:

cfwrap-7.jpg

some installed shots:

cfwrap-10.jpg

cfwrap-8.jpg

cfwrap-12.jpg

cfwrap-13.jpg

rick@CJPonyParts

CJ Pony Parts
Official Vendor
Reaction score
That looks great. How much time do you think you spend applying the wrap, not including installation and removal.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I spent 4.5 hours on the total project. 1 hour to remove the panels and carefully break them down. 3 hours to wrap (as I redid at least one piece as I was hunting perfection and had gotten better as I progressed) and trim, then a half hour to reinstall.

I spent a lot of time with the pieces side by side to try to get the "grain" to line up from piece to piece. its pretty damn close, and I couldn't be happier with the result, especially for a $20 investment.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That came out really clean bro and it doesn't look like cheap glossy ricer CF either.
nice!!

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
Looks good ... I would have traded you a 400A for your 401A since you were gonna wrap it ...

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
nice thing is this is 100% reversable. I might look at some other panel sets if they look "wrappable" enough and trade out my panel at some point, but for now very happy.

I was very jealous of the GT/CS panels until I saw the parts costs.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
I was very jealous of the GT/CS panels until I saw the parts costs.

I've been wanting to go from the 400A inserts to the 401A to darken up my interior.

I finally found all the peices on eBay except the passenger airbag cover which I had to buy from the dealer .... Gonna install all the parts this weekend.

MSRP for all the aluminum peices was almost $900 !!! Nuts!

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great, I've been scoping it out to do on my Subaru which has some console scratches.

SeabeeMatt

Im blown
Reaction score
Looks really good. I did the same thing to mine. Bought it off of ebay, different seller tho, and wrapped the dash. I had the silver dash and hated it. It didn't go with anything so I spent some time researching and bought a good size roll. Even wrapped the front piece where the radio and knobs are at. No pics tho

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks great man! How much material did you use?

My buddy wrapped his GT500 interior, but the heat made the pieces lift.

I don't think you'll have this issue, since it looks like you took the time to do a "proper" wrap of the dash pieces.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back