wrapped my 401A dash panels with CF vinyl

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
The most challenging thing on the 05-09 dash will be the gauge bezel.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
The most challenging thing on the 05-09 dash will be the gauge bezel.

Really? I was planning to break off a couple of those melted tabs that hold the chrome rims to the part that's being wrapped to really get underneath it. Seems like the only way to get that OEM finish to me. Not sure I'd want to take a razor to it and try to make it look like a clean cut.

Gerardo

cruisin

Reaction score
It will require removal to wrap the vinyl around the edges.

It would probably be better to swap out for a non IUP rather than taking the IUP apart or just purchase the non IUP parts because they aren't nearly as expensive. With the quality of work Im seeing, you could make some money offering this as a service with a core charge. After you did it a few times you'd have enough to buy a core set and with a core you would have a much broader market because a lot of people use their cars as daily drivers and wouldn't be able to have their dahs apart for very long.

IHVOCD

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good! But theres 3 different types! The kind you have, 3M Di-Noc and 3M Scotchprint 1080. Which one did you get?
Thanks Ryan

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good! But theres 3 different types! The kind you have, 3M Di-Noc and 3M Scotchprint 1080. Which one did you get?
Thanks Ryan

The link he posted on page 2 reads "3D Carbon". The 3M stuff is twice the price.

Gerardo

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
Well I started wrapping today and I'm at a roadblock. Wrapped the airbag easy but the rest of the pieces are very difficult to get right because of the protruding vent. I'm just not good enough with vinyl at this point so I'll have to come up with something different.

Anyone who has done an 05-09 - any suggestions?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
It would probably be better to swap out for a non IUP rather than taking the IUP apart or just purchase the non IUP parts because they aren't nearly as expensive.

Getting the airbag portion for any trim (IUP, black, etc...) without the airbag is next to impossible. I don't want a $20 mod to turn into a $150 mod.

Gerardo

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Well I started wrapping today and I'm at a roadblock. Wrapped the airbag easy but the rest of the pieces are very difficult to get right because of the protruding vent. I'm just not good enough with vinyl at this point so I'll have to come up with something different.

Anyone who has done an 05-09 - any suggestions?

get a heat gun. im gonna be using the 3m di-noc and heat works great on it

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
get a heat gun. im gonna be using the 3m di-noc and heat works great on it

Been using a heat gun. It just that the weave distorts when you stretch.

Anywho, I found another method that I think is going to work out.

Teaser:

img_0482.jpg

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Gettin' slightly off topic but I think it belongs here...

Has anyone tried this on a hood. I'm thinking of drapping a 3'x5' piece over my hood and seeing what's what. I ordered the 24"x60" piece, threw it over the hood and it looks great. I'm thinking of a Steeda type look but in CF vinyl.

Gerardo

Something like this...
8193380142_large.jpg

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Gettin' slightly off topic but I think it belongs here...

Has anyone tried this on a hood. I'm thinking of drapping a 3'x5' piece over my hood and seeing what's what. I ordered the 24"x60" piece, threw it over the hood and it looks great. I'm thinking of a Steeda type look but in CF vinyl.

Gerardo

Something like this...
8193380142_large.jpg

make sure you use heat on the edges, it helps hold it down
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61872

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back