WTB: 05+ 5R55S Automatic, wiring, shifter, etc..

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to convert my 2006 GT 5-speed maunal to a 5-speed auto. Basically, I need the 5R55S transmission, converter, all harness wiring and linkage, the brake pedal assembly for the auto, a factory console shifter and if anyone has an aftermarket driveshaft to fit, I will take that too. I am not interested in a 4R70W, as I already have one of those. If any of you are parting out a car, let me know what you got.

Tanner

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have a stock converter, and the stock flexplate. shot me a pm with an offer. 9k miles on

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Looks like the GI Joe listing is sold........ you can try the other listing provided by Hawg but it's a few months old.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
I'm curious why if the car already has a 4R70W you want to switch to a 5R55S? If it is for the automatic shifting why not just put an automatic valvebody in the 4R and use a Bauman trans controller?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why if the car already has a 4R70W you want to switch to a 5R55S? If it is for the automatic shifting why not just put an automatic valvebody in the 4R and use a Bauman trans controller?

Lol! Well, I never said the 4R was in the car. I actually said the car was a 5-speed maunal. I have a 4R but have changed my mind about putting it in the car.

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Lol! Well, I never said the 4R was in the car. I actually said the car was a 5-speed maunal. I have a 4R but have changed my mind about putting it in the car.
Your original statment could easily be taken 2 ways, you have a factory 5-speed car that is obvious but you never actually said what was in the car. Either way if the 4R or the 3650 is in the car you need everything for the 5R to do the swap so since you mentioned the 4R it seemed to me that is what was in the car currently otherwise why not just say I'm not interested in a 4R, instead you said I already have one. That statement alone would lead most to believe that is what is in the car.

FYI we can't read your mind that is why I asked, so I'm not sure what there was to LOL about.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
I think Adam@ST is selling a fully built 5r55s, he posted it like a week ago.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your original statment could easily be taken 2 ways, you have a factory 5-speed car that is obvious but you never actually said what was in the car. Either way if the 4R or the 3650 is in the car you need everything for the 5R to do the swap so since you mentioned the 4R it seemed to me that is what was in the car currently otherwise why not just say I'm not interested in a 4R, instead you said I already have one. That statement alone would lead most to believe that is what is in the car.

FYI we can't read your mind that is why I asked, so I'm not sure what there was to LOL about.

All that is beside the point. I said I have a 4R70W because I mistakenly assumed everyone would know I probably don't want another one. Yes, if I wanted to use it I would call Baumann and get the TCS. Do you have a 5-speed auto you want to sell or trade? Is there any way you can help me with this? Thanks.

The LOL! is because everyone else was able to decipher that I wanted a 5R55S. It's all good.

Last edited:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
All that is beside the point. I said I have a 4R70W because I mistakenly assumed everyone would know I probably don't want another one. Yes, if I wanted to use it I would call Baumann and get the TCS. Do you have a 5-speed auto you want to sell or trade? Is there any way you can help me with this? Thanks.

The LOL! is because everyone else was able to decipher that I wanted a 5R55S. It's all good.
Not everyone knows about the TCS controllers thus the reason I was going to suggest it in case you weren't aware of it. I simply asked why you wanted to change, trying to assist you and save you money if that was your only reason for changing as your original post sounded to me. I'm sorry I tried to help you, I won't respond to any more of your threads. It's no wonder most shops don't want to help people online...

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think Adam@ST is selling a fully built 5r55s, he posted it like a week ago.

I saw it and I wasn't really interested in buying a built transmission that I would have to tear down for inspection anyway. I planned on building it myself and based on those plans was really looking for a stock takeout. I might buy a built one from someone local for obvious reasons but I think that I am better off building it myself. Honestly I am sure Adam is a stand-up guy but I don't know him from, well... Adam.. and trusting people to sell me something that I can't see is not one of my strong points. I would rather buy a stock tranny as what I would consider a working or servicable core and rebuild it at that particular juncture. I know my tranny build will give me good a service span. Thank you.

N

navbtcret

I have a stall converter for sale for the 5r. I also have a 5r trans but it is in Pennsylvania. I am in the middle of swapping it out for 4r70w. Pm me if you are interested, I'll let the trans go for a good price plus actual shipping.

Here is the link to the stall converter.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9064

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw it and I wasn't really interested in buying a built transmission that I would have to tear down for inspection anyway. I planned on building it myself and based on those plans was really looking for a stock takeout. I might buy a built one from someone local for obvious reasons but I think that I am better off building it myself. Honestly I am sure Adam is a stand-up guy but I don't know him from, well... Adam.. and trusting people to sell me something that I can't see is not one of my strong points. I would rather buy a stock tranny as what I would consider a working or servicable core and rebuild it at that particular juncture. I know my tranny build will give me good a service span. Thank you.

Well... uh.. good luck with that tranny build. I kinda doubt you are going to be building one in your garage floor that is going to be built to the specs and quality of that of one from Larry's (very highly regarded in building 5R55s to handle POWER) and being sold by one of the boards supporting vendors... Hell, now that I say it like that I guess I wouldn't trust them either.:wtf:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well... uh.. good luck with that tranny build. I kinda doubt you are going to be building one in your garage floor that is going to be built to the specs and quality of that of one from Larry's (very highly regarded in building 5R55s to handle POWER) and being sold by one of the boards supporting vendors... Hell, now that I say it like that I guess I wouldn't trust them either.:wtf:

First off, I know you weren't aware that my garage floor is actually a shop and second, loaded with the tools to do this type of work. I have done it before. Never on a 5R but on Performance Allissons, 48REs, 4R70Ws, 4L60E/80Es and on.. No offense, but I don't know him and I don't know you either. I even said that I am sure he is a great guy but politely explained that I was not interested. I even explained why. Now you may not like those reasons but unless you are buying the transmission for me, I don't think that will matter. Also, you needn't discredit the guy with 5 posts, as you don't know his abilities. At any rate, I must ask: Do you have a transmission you want to sell to me? Can you help me with this? If not, then I am rather confused with your role in this.

navbtcret - You have been more than helpful. I am very interested and will let you know something very soon.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would explain my roll to you, but it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to explain to you how I, as an admin to the board, would be giving the thumbs up approval about a supporting vendor on the board who is known throughout the S197 community as one of the top shops for our cars, selling a fresh built never ran transmission that was built by another close friend to the board vendor that is known throughout the entire S197 community on many boards as being one of the top places in the country on building performance 5R55 transmissions. And that you would not be running any risks of purchasing a bad product, and it would be as it is advertised, newly rebuilt.

But you have obviously traded trust for global knowledge so me telling you these things would be a waste of your precious time, as you have already pointed out.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I would explain my roll to you, but it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to explain to you how I, as an admin to the board, would be giving the thumbs up approval about a supporting vendor on the board who is known throughout the S197 community as one of the top shops for our cars, selling a fresh built never ran transmission that was built by another close friend to the board vendor that is known throughout the entire S197 community on many boards as being one of the top places in the country on building performance 5R55 transmissions.
OK... you win for "run on sentence of the week"... :roflmao:

And as an Admin for the forum, I also give a thumbs up to Hawgaman's thumbs up! :thumb:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back