yet another Emission question 5.0

rednk

Reaction score
So i went for emission and they said "ecu is not ready"

2013 GT

Boss manifold
No Cat
Bama tuned

Can someone direct me to tuners that would pass car for emission without putting cat. back?

thnaks!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
not tech.

where do you live, do they visually inspect

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stupid comment by the station, the ECU is never not ready.... some monitors probably not ready.

when was the last time you uploaded a tune or disconnected the battery?

Do you have rear o2 sensors?

as far as a tuner, Bama should be able to sort it out, if not Lund or VMP are good choices

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
More than likely it's because the rear O2's are turned off. I had this problem but solved it by running the spark plug non-foulers with some stainless steel packing material in them so I could install the rear O2's without a CEL coming on. Been working great!

rednk

Reaction score
Stupid comment by the station, the ECU is never not ready.... some monitors probably not ready.

when was the last time you uploaded a tune or disconnected the battery?

Do you have rear o2 sensors?
as far as a tuner, Bama should be able to sort it out, if not Lund or VMP are good choices

You are correct rear o2 sensor is off
Bama s recommendation is to put back cat. and send tune

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Don't even bother with tuners. I wasted $250 and a few weeks time paying one of the best tuners....NOT my local tuner who dyno tuned the car, mind you...for an email tune that "should" have got me to pass. It didn't.

Two non-foulers on each of the rear O2's, upload your STOCK tune, and call it a day. I spent many weeks trying to figure this out before I took this same advice, and it was the only thing that worked.

rednk

Reaction score
Don't even bother with tuners. I wasted $250 and a few weeks time paying one of the best tuners....NOT my local tuner who dyno tuned the car, mind you...for an email tune that "should" have got me to pass. It didn't.

Two non-foulers on each of the rear O2's, upload your STOCK tune, and call it a day. I spent many weeks trying to figure this out before I took this same advice, and it was the only thing that worked.

See this is my concern, if i have new tuner iwant to be certain it will pass emission and not wasting money...

I will keep in mind your advice..

you running Boss intake or just catless?

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
See this is my concern, if i have new tuner iwant to be certain it will pass emission and not wasting money...

I will keep in mind your advice..

you running Boss intake or just catless?

I said I would keep that advice in mind, too...and that lead to a car parked in my garage with expired tags, weeks and weeks of frustration and less money in my pocket. The non-foulers cost like $10. You have to drill one out on each side, and that was a pain in the ass, but installation was real easy.

I have a stock intake manifold, but I don't think that'll change anything.

travelers

Reaction score
You usually have 6 some items to set. I have a Lund tune and it only has 3, I have ARHs with ORH and it passes no problem.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Mike Rousch told me some of our cars computers are more stubborn than others and can't be tuned to pass. Not worth the risk of time/money, IMHO.

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for the anti-foulers or how to make them?

This is how I did mine on my dsm. Worked in CA. I've seen other methods where they stuff some material in with it. I can't speak to it personally.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/215795-5-o2-cheater-non-fouler-how.html

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the JDM anti fouler's /O2 extenders on my rear sensor's and they made it worse, with the P0420 + P0430 codes showing up once in a while. Removed them and codes still come on.... but rarely. Plan B is to just shut off rears in tune, since we don't have emissions testing here. 2010 auto + jba LT's and catted H + m90 blower, VMP 94 tune. Next major city over from me does have emissions testing, so if the car was sold, it would be an issue.

Last edited:

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Two non-foulers with the top one drilled out(1/2") and a thin layer of steel wool in between with the rear O2s turned on is what worked for me.

rednk

Reaction score
Two non-foulers with the top one drilled out(1/2") and a thin layer of steel wool in between with the rear O2s turned on is what worked for me.

hey Man
after installing non fowler did you have different tune to pass?

also from MD

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
hey Man
after installing non fowler did you have different tune to pass?

also from MD

I flashed it back to stock but I have the stock plenum manifold. If you call Bama and have them send you a tune with the rear O2s turned on you should pass after you complete a drive cycle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back