cam phaser question

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
These plates have all the lines needed to feed the lifters galleys, caps, etc. on the head. I am using them, dysan is using them, 05stroker is using similars he made himself.

No problem with the PCM with a simple tune correction.

No oil pressure issues.

They were cheap and they already come with the gaskets.

So no CELs?
What's the best way to seal the valve covers?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
How did you seal the cover?
Did you RTV the freeze plug?
Does it have a nice press fit?
Does it require any modification of the valve cover?
Any longer term issues?

I used JB Weld to seal the freeze plugs I put in mine.

Just a little sanding to get the freeze plug to fit.

No long term issues I am aware of or have seen.

Here is a picture of one I did for Paul (againstallodds1). I powdercoated them after I installed the freeze plugs and I also removed the PCV valve from the driver's side valve cover. That takes some work to do.

IMG_1652.jpg

And here is one of my sets of valve covers I did with the freeze plugs upside down (harder to install that way so I prefer putting them in with the cup down).

2011-05-24-22-04-21-133.jpg

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
There have been members of this forum who have had the metal tensioners lock open or fully extended. This has resulted in broken chain guides. That's the whole reason Ford went to the plastic tensioner, because the metal ones were locking open and breaking things.

+1

I've just had the same thing happen to me and ended up with a broken right side chain guide using the iron tensioner. Needless to say, I'm using the plastic tensioner when I reassemble.

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
If you shut your VCT off in the tune and leave the solenoids in after locking out the phasers, will you have any restrictions in oiling or is it a must to use the block off plates if shutting off the vct to get good oiling?

Last edited:

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
If you shut your VCT off in the tune and leave the solenoids in after locking out the phasers, will you have any restrictions in oiling or is it a must to use the block off plates if shutting off the vct to get good oiling?

good question

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Locking the phasers is the same as a commanded zero. I still have the solenoids in mine, they are locked out and turned off in the tune. I'm not having any issues.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone have two of the valve cover VCT seal off freeze plugs they're willing to send to me? The manufacturer listed in the previous posts only sells them in packs of 12, and not singles anymore.

From Summit, "On your order for SLP-381-3075, the manufacture is no longer doing these as singles. They are only doing these in quantities of twelve"

Already picked up the V10 block off plates for $57 on the pair.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Locking the phasers is the same as a commanded zero. I still have the solenoids in mine, they are locked out and turned off in the tune. I'm not having any issues.

Ok thanks, that's how I have it right now with the phasers shut off and the solenoids in. I think I'll do the same as some of the others with the block off plates, just for the cosmetic look and the benefit of removing the valve covers without that pesky solenoid.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back