cam phaser question

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
+1

I've just had the same thing happen to me and ended up with a broken right side chain guide using the iron tensioner. Needless to say, I'm using the plastic tensioner when I reassemble.

Well, I was wrong.

I figured another broken R chain guide when I pulled the valve cover and saw all the slack. Nope. Disassembled the car (DAMN I hate front mounted turbo's for the disassembly PITA...) and found that it wasn't the chain guide, it was the IRON tensioner that failed.

The ratcheting part no longer locked it and I could press it in and out with my fingers with little effort. Reassembled with plastic tensioners, as well as installing the V10 VCT deletes. (Note: the thread that's going on now with the NAPA freeze plugs to fill the holes are 2005-2006 valve covers... To big to fill my 2008's...)

Got car back together and the slapping noise is gone.

Question: Anyone else had an iron tensioner fail?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I don't have mine apart yet but.... loud as shit till warm. Once warm completely normal. Put about 100 miles on it testing the trans. My bet is the steel tensioner is malfunctioning. Ordering some Monday and going full retard while I have it apart

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Reassembled with plastic tensioners, as well as installing the V10 VCT deletes. (Note: the thread that's going on now with the NAPA freeze plugs to fill the holes are 2005-2006 valve covers... To big to fill my 2008's...)

What did you use to seal your valve cover?
Any words for those planning to do this?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have mine apart yet but.... loud as shit till warm. Once warm completely normal. Put about 100 miles on it testing the trans. My bet is the steel tensioner is malfunctioning. Ordering some Monday and going full retard while I have it apart

3lcd.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Also... michael.. did yours ever get quiet or did it totally fail? Mine will ratchet up after about 10 minutes of idle.

I am wondering if this contributed to a data log I had way back that showed variations bank to bank?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
What did you use to seal your valve cover?
Any words for those planning to do this?

Since I was in a bind on time, I reversed the NAPA caps it and used epoxy to seal them to the covers after cleaning the surfaces. It's ugly as hell with these two big bug-eyed caps on top, but it'll work for now.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Also... michael.. did yours ever get quiet or did it totally fail? Mine will ratchet up after about 10 minutes of idle.

I am wondering if this contributed to a data log I had way back that showed variations bank to bank?

Mine started out semi-quiet where you could hear something wasn't right, but as the oil warmed up, it got worse and worse. At temperature, it was loud enough to hear from 30 feet away.

Luckily, there was no damage to the timing cover.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
So 8 degrees of retard ideally?

It was 3am, that just reminded me of the meme, that is it. 8 may be a too high of a compromise. 550s work great at 6. In your case with the 450s I would do 4 degrees, your SC keeps moving air up top so it already made some nice peak in the higher rpm area as it was (zero VCT).

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered the freeze plugs, but they are too large for my FRPP valve covers.

I popped out the VCT solenoid seal and measured its diameter and it came out to:
36mm or 1.41"

Back to the drawing board. sigh

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Had same problem and I used them as caps instead of inserts.

Caps?? So you just placed them on top of the hole?
How is it being held in place?

Got pictures?

I was able to find new plugs in 36.3mm and 36.5mm.
I will see how these work. I am hoping the 36.3mm work with a slight press fit. I am planning to hopefully press it in with some RTV to have it seal perfectly.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
My engine builder actually advised against the steel tensioners. He said in his experience they're more prone to failures and can actually cause the knock sensors to ping.

Makes sense if you think about it. The hard steel will transfer a lot more force than a softer plastic.

I've always wondered why no one has come up with a manual tensioner. I had them on all three of my motorcycles and never had an issue.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Caps?? So you just placed them on top of the hole?
How is it being held in place?

Got pictures?

I was able to find new plugs in 36.3mm and 36.5mm.
I will see how these work. I am hoping the 36.3mm work with a slight press fit. I am planning to hopefully press it in with some RTV to have it seal perfectly.

I used JB Quik Weld on both mating surfaces, pressed them together, applied tape across the cap, and then turned the valve cover upside down to prevent any dripping on the inside and outside.

If you're using the regular JB weld, let them sit overnight.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back