2012 a6 are my 4.10's alittle too much?

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Proven? Really? It is completely wrong to say that only one ratio is "best" for every 5.0L / 6R80. Different combinations of mods will work best with different rear end gearing. While 3.31's may be the hot ticket for some combinations (big power and/or weight reduction with trap speeds over 120 mph), 4.10's or steeper may be the better choice for other combinations (lower power and/or full weight with trap speeds below 120).

Oh, and 4.10's work just fine in my 5.0L / 6R80. See signature below for details. 11.7's @ 117 mph with just a couple of very well-chosen mods. And, my '14 GT is the 6th quickest 5.0L / 6R80 on the 4V All Motor list, so my combination must be working. According to the list, my car is more than 8 tenths and 6 mph faster than your car, Five-Oh, so you are the LAST person who should be passing judgment on whether 4.10's work or not in our cars...

You gained basically nothing from your gears, Mikes's tune got you your gains. You have been called out for your choices before as you are the only one who thinks steep gears are good for these cars. Who cares if your car is quicker then mine? I just have a tune, nothing else, and a 4000 pound race weight so it better be considering all you have done to yours. Honestly, I'd be pissed if I had all your mods and ran your below average numbers...but you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
To be blunt, your car is one of if not the slowest converter/bolt on auto cars I've seen. The only reason you are semi high on that list is none of the other cars below you have converters. It is not your 410s.

Exactly. Not to mention our list is a drop in the bucket in the Coyote world...

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
You gained basically shit from your gears, Mikes's tune got you your gains. You have been called out for your choices before as you are the only one who thinks steep gears are good for these cars. Who cares if your car is quicker then mine? I just have a tune, nothing else, and a 4000 pound race weight so it better be considering all you have done to yours. To be quite honest, your car is slow, and not impressive for it's mods at all. I'd be pissed if I had all your mods and ran your numbers...but you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Wow, just wow! My car is barely modded. 100% stock engine, stock intake, stock headers, stock suspension, stock wheels, heavy car with no weight reduction, etc. 1 pc d/s didn't help at all and you all think the 4.10's offer nothing. So, that leaves just a converter, tune, drag radials, and O/R H-pipe to account for 11.7's @ 117 mph. That's a solid improvement over the 12.9's @ 109 that a stock 5.0L / 6R80 would yield.

We can all agree to disagree on gearing, so I'm done responding on the subject. You'll never change my mind, and I'll never change your mind. My only hope is that anyone coming to this thread looking for advice on gearing isn't convinced that there is just one recipe to make these cars fast and bullied into thinking that they're a moron for not listening to the collective wisdom that is s197forum.com. It's like a few of you wrote an "S197 bible" here a couple years ago and god forbid anyone should introduce new/different information to challenge anything in your precious S197 bible. Guess that makes me a heretic for not worshipping the ground upon which you walk.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, just wow! My car is barely modded. 100% stock engine, stock intake, stock headers, stock suspension, stock wheels, heavy car with no weight reduction, etc. 1 pc d/s didn't help at all and you all think the 4.10's offer nothing. So, that leaves just a converter, tune, drag radials, and O/R H-pipe to account for 11.7's @ 117 mph. That's a solid improvement over the 12.9's @ 109 that a stock 5.0L / 6R80 would yield.

Sorry, but a converter, cat deletes/off road pipe, tune, gears, driveshaft and tire is not "barely modded" in my book.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

You just contradicted yourself. How is a one piece driveshaft, which weighs about half of what the stock unit does, not considered weight reduction?

Anywho, good luck with your car.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

We can all agree to disagree on gearing, so I'm done responding on the subject. You'll never change my mind, and I'll never change your mind. My only hope is that anyone coming to this thread looking for advice on gearing isn't convinced that there is just one recipe to make these cars fast and bullied into thinking that they're a moron for not listening to the collective wisdom that is s197forum.com. It's like a few of you wrote an "S197 bible" here a couple years ago and god forbid anyone should introduce new/different information to challenge anything in your precious S197 bible. Guess that makes me a heretic for not worshipping the ground upon which you walk.

Brian there's no agree to disagree with these guys, I already tried that! You either nut swing with them or you're just a stupid @ss mofo lol.
What the gear Nazi can't understand is, I'm going to do what makes ME happy and don't give one tiny care what they think. They DONT earn my money, they don't pay my mortgage or my car note so if they don't agree with what I do I again don't give a very teeny tiny care. This is an Internet forum with a bunch of yappy mouth guys who are LEGENDS IN THEIR OWN MINDS. In the end I think you wasted a lot of time trying to get a point across to people (if you're like me ) I could care less about what they think. Like I told 5-HO, dude let go I'm going to do what I want whether it's right or wrong in their eyes. Brian if you're happy with the times you run with your setup more power to you brother!

Last edited:

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
I'll happily sell you my factory 3.15's as I'll never put them back into my car. I'll PM you my PayPal info and ship them pronto....

Gears are not something that I buy used but I appreciate the offer.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Brian there's no agree to disagree with these guys, I already tried that! You either nut swing with them or you're just a stupid @ss mofo lol.
What the gear Nazi can't understand is, I'm going to do what makes ME happy and don't give one tiny care what they think. They DONT earn my money, they don't pay my mortgage or my car note so if they don't agree with what I do I again don't give a very teeny tiny care. This is an Internet forum with a bunch of yappy mouth guys who are LEGENDS IN THEIR OWN MINDS. In the end I think you wasted a lot of time trying to get a point across to people (if you're like me ) I could care less about what they think. Like I told 5-HO, dude let go I'm going to do what I want whether it's right or wrong in their eyes. Brian if you're happy with the times you run with your setup more power to you brother!

No nut swinging going on, just folks sharing their experience.

That said, if you aren't looking to run a number at the track then something like a 3.73 or 4.10 will feel better on the street vs. a 3.15 or 3.31. Driveability is improved as it helps keep the car out of the converter as much.

At the end of the day it boils down to your goals.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
WBT is right, the autos don't like gear. I know lots of auto coyotes that had 3.31's and went to a 3.73 or 4.10 and both lost et. stay with what you have if its an auto

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Best move i did. Went to 3.55 with a 29.5" tire. Best 60 ever. Best e.t. ever. Dead hooked. Mph way up as well

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes but you dont get the same contact patch with less gear and a smaller tire. The point is its all about combos, what works in one part of the country may not work in another.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back