2012 a6 are my 4.10's alittle too much?

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP in believing with correct tires cars (N/A) are going to be quicker with a lower gear. 4.10's WILL be going in my '14 before very long. Thanks OP for verifying g what I already knew.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP in believing with correct tires cars (N/A) are going to be quicker with a lower gear. 4.10's WILL be going in my '14 before very long. Thanks OP for verifying g what I already knew.

The original post is almost three years old. Much testing has been done since then with a different conclusion. Even the OP admitted so recently.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score

You are the thickest person I have ever met on here. Go ahead, waste your money. Then remember I tried to help you.

The original post is almost three years old. Much testing has been done since then with a different conclusion. Even the OP admitted so recently.

Don't bother. I have been talking to him via PM trying to tell him not to waste his money on gears. He keeps comparing old school set ups to the 6R80. I mean how many have been down this road? We all know what works and doesn't work, and numerically higher then 3:31 gears don't.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are the thickest person I have ever met on here. Go ahead, waste your money. Then remember I tried to help you.

Don't bother. I have been talking to him via PM trying to tell him not to waste his money on gears. He keeps comparing old school set ups to the 6R80. I mean how many have been down this road? We all know what works and doesn't work, and numerically higher then 3:31 gears don't.

Dude look at the guys time slips! It's right there. Does it annoy you I can think for myself lol. I really don't EVER recall asking for your opinion. I want to be sure I'm getting this right, since I DONT agree with you I'm "thick" lol. Very mature thinking. I also said let's agree to disagree but you're so full of yourselves you have to insist on me agreeing with you. Well I don't so get over it okay.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Dude look at the guys time slips! It's right there. Does it annoy you I can think for myself lol. I really don't EVER recall asking for your opinion. I want to be sure I'm getting this right, since I DONT agree with you I'm "thick" lol. Very mature thinking. I also said let's agree to disagree but you're so full of yourselves you have to insist on me agreeing with you. Well I don't so get over it okay.
Yes, you are thick dude. It seems like you aren't capable of taking good advise and are stuck in your ways. I mean as Grabber Blue 5.0 said, even Casper GT (the OP) has said it was a waste, read the thread start date, much has been learned since then. Instead of "assuming" your old ways of thinking works on these cars, listen to advise when you are given it. I am trying to steer you in the right direction, as in help you. You make like I am doing the opposite. It is PROVEN that 4:10's don't work on these 6R80 cars, NA or FI. In the same DA, you will not gain anything, the car will shift one more time dropping your powerband down, and it will be harder to launch. It may "feel" faster down low, but it's not. Ugh...

You have been here awhile, you should know better then to think we would give bad advise and such...

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Well if I had been posting to onebadsx that would be true. I was making my recommendation to the OP about his 4.10 gears, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. Mike tried a 28 inch tire and found the 26 inch worked better, with his setup.

The OP created this thread 2.5 years ago......

All of the 10 sec., N/A stock long block cars did it using a 28" tire.

28" tire is what you want to run on these cars period.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 gt that's auto. I'm wanting to put a built motor in it and some cams. My uncle randy has a bad ass big block nova with some 5.14 gears in it. Do you think these gears will work for my car?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 gt that's auto. I'm wanting to put a built motor in it and some cams. My uncle randy has a bad ass big block nova with some 5.14 gears in it. Do you think these gears will work for my car?

It depends on your goals. 5.13 is the steepest gear made for the 8.8 and would be completely useless in one of these cars with the factory trans.

You want to run a number at the track use a 3.31 or 3.15 with the auto.

If you want something that drives around town well a 3.73 works well.

All the above assumes you would stay N/A. Adding a power adder changes the game.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score

:goofball:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
It is PROVEN that 4:10's don't work on these 6R80 cars...

Proven? Really? It is completely wrong to say that only one ratio is "best" for every 5.0L / 6R80. Different combinations of mods will work best with different rear end gearing. While 3.31's may be the hot ticket for some combinations (big power and/or weight reduction with trap speeds over 120 mph), 4.10's or steeper may be the better choice for other combinations (lower power and/or full weight with trap speeds below 120).

Oh, and 4.10's work just fine in my 5.0L / 6R80. See signature below for details. 11.7's @ 117 mph with just a couple of very well-chosen mods. And, my '14 GT is the 6th quickest 5.0L / 6R80 on the 4V All Motor list, so my combination must be working. According to the list, my car is more than 8 tenths and 6 mph faster than your car, Five-Oh, so you are the LAST person who should be passing judgment on whether 4.10's work or not in our cars...

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Haha! You better ask your uncle what trans he has and what is the trans 1st gear ratio. I guarantee you its now where near the 4.17 1st gear ratio of the 6R80. Add the fact I have a feeling your uncle is also running a much taller tire.

Remember what to consider when picking a gear:

RPM range of the motor
MPH you will be crossing the line
Rwhp
Weight of car
1st gear trans ratio
Height of tire
Tire growth if any.

Just an example of how different things can be, I run 4.11s with a 29.5 tall tire, but with only a 1.80 first gear. Look up what that ratio is in your 6R80 lol. With high horsepower cars, a lot of times a more conservative total ratio will help the car get off the line and get a quicker ET.

Take a Comp Eliminator and now its A LOT of gear, huge tires, and spinning the motor to the moon. Just keep all of this in mind. This is controversial because there really isn't one answer unless the power/rpm/weight/tire height/converter (if auto) is the same.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Proven? Really? It is completely wrong to say that only one ratio is "best" for every 5.0L / 6R80. Different combinations of mods will work best with different rear end gearing. While 3.31's may be the hot ticket for some combinations (big power and/or weight reduction with trap speeds over 120 mph), 4.10's or steeper may be the better choice for other combinations (lower power and/or full weight with trap speeds below 120).

Oh, and 4.10's work just fine in my 5.0L / 6R80. See signature below for details. 11.7's @ 117 mph with just a couple of very well-chosen mods. And, my '14 GT is the 6th quickest 5.0L / 6R80 on the 4V All Motor list, so my combination must be working. According to the list, my car is more than 8 tenths and 6 mph faster than your car, Five-Oh, so you are the LAST person who should be passing judgment on whether 4.10's work or not in our cars...

You quote this list as the end all be all of 5.0s. I have never submitted my times but ran a best of 11.60@118 with the same mods except 3.31. I gained nothing nada zip with 3.73s. There are quite a few of us that aren't on this list running these numbers or faster. All the 3.73 did was make traction at the track more difficult.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Haha! You better ask your uncle what trans he has and what is the trans 1st gear ratio. I guarantee you its now where near the 4.17 1st gear ratio of the 6R80. Add the fact I have a feeling your uncle is also running a much taller tire.

Remember what to consider when picking a gear:

RPM range of the motor
MPH you will be crossing the line
Rwhp
Weight of car
1st gear trans ratio
Height of tire
Tire growth if any.

Just an example of how different things can be, I run 4.11s with a 29.5 tall tire, but with only a 1.80 first gear. Look up what that ratio is in your 6R80 lol. With high horsepower cars, a lot of times a more conservative total ratio will help the car get off the line and get a quicker ET.

Take a Comp Eliminator and now its A LOT of gear, huge tires, and spinning the motor to the moon. Just keep all of this in mind. This is controversial because there really isn't one answer unless the power/rpm/weight/tire height/converter (if auto) is the same.

I was having a little fun with it, I don't even have an uncle randy. Lol

I'm going the other way with gearing in hopes to keep in in third through the traps and make 1st a little more useful.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
You quote this list as the end all be all of 5.0s. I have never submitted my times but ran a best of 11.60@118 with the same mods except 3.31. I gained nothing nada zip with 3.73s. There are quite a few of us that aren't on this list running these numbers or faster. All the 3.73 did was make traction at the track more difficult.

I dead hook with 4.10's at both of our local tracks, despite one of those tracks being very badly prepped. I've experimented a LOT with tire pressures and launch techniques to get those launches to be super consistently in the 1.6's to the 60'.

I, too, know plenty of locals who have 5.0L / 6R80's who are NOT on our 1/4 mile list here. Based on their experiences, I can safely say that 4.10's work well. Many of the 11 second 5.0L / 6R80's have 4.10's while many of the slower ones use much less gear. Of course there are exceptions in both directions, but the vast majority of our local 5.0L / 6R80's that are NA and below 12.0 in the 1/4 have 4.10's.

Again, as others have said, you have to look at the complete build and combo of a particular car to decide which gear will work best. A blanket statement that just one ratio is the holy grail is just plain wrong.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I dead hook with 4.10's at both of our local tracks, despite one of those tracks being very badly prepped. I've experimented a LOT with tire pressures and launch techniques to get those launches to be super consistently in the 1.6's to the 60'.

I, too, know plenty of locals who have 5.0L / 6R80's who are NOT on our 1/4 mile list here. Based on their experiences, I can safely say that 4.10's work well. Many of the 11 second 5.0L / 6R80's have 4.10's while many of the slower ones use much less gear. Of course there are exceptions in both directions, but the vast majority of our local 5.0L / 6R80's that are NA and below 12.0 in the 1/4 have 4.10's.

You do realize no one believes a word of the about statement correct? All these guys running 4.10's work well?:handjob:

If it smells like B.S. then more often than not it is.

Explain then why with all that gear and all that converter your times aren't significantly better? I'd love to hear your explanation on that.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Im running a 4c converter im sure if i went 5c or 4e i would run quicker than my slow 11.3s with my 3.31 gears My car hooks better now than when i ran 4.10s or 3.73s. And yes i did alot of tire psi and launch testing at cf raceway and the low first gear just over powered the track with a modest stall and 3.73 or 4.10. Im also running stock intake manifold No boss for me

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back