2012 a6 are my 4.10's alittle too much?

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Proven? Really? It is completely wrong to say that only one ratio is "best" for every 5.0L / 6R80. Different combinations of mods will work best with different rear end gearing. While 3.31's may be the hot ticket for some combinations (big power and/or weight reduction with trap speeds over 120 mph), 4.10's or steeper may be the better choice for other combinations (lower power and/or full weight with trap speeds below 120).

Oh, and 4.10's work just fine in my 5.0L / 6R80. See signature below for details. 11.7's @ 117 mph with just a couple of very well-chosen mods. And, my '14 GT is the 6th quickest 5.0L / 6R80 on the 4V All Motor list, so my combination must be working. According to the list, my car is more than 8 tenths and 6 mph faster than your car, Five-Oh, so you are the LAST person who should be passing judgment on whether 4.10's work or not in our cars...

To be blunt, your car is one of if not the slowest converter/bolt on auto cars I've seen. The only reason you are semi high on that list is none of the other cars below you have converters. It is not your 410s.

Last edited:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
All joking aside on my part, how do you guys feel about 2.73 gears for a turbo'd stock engine/trans combo? With the 1.52 3rd, 2.73 gears and 28" tall radials, it should let me go 141@7000 with the converter locked.

Multiplied torque should go from 13.14/7.37/4.79 to 11.38/6.38/4.15

I should be roughly 3500 race weight and thinking of going with a 4c converter with the ability to leave on 7-9lbs.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
To be blunt, your car is one of if not the slowest converter/bolt on auto cars I've seen. The only reason you are semi high on that list is none of the other cars below you have converters. It is not your 410s.

You seem to be missing my point. FIVE-OH said that 4.10's don't work, implying that they slow down these cars. My car is NO slower for having 4.10's. I have run with 3.15's and 4.10's with all else being equal and my car went marginally quicker with 4.10's. If you don't like my results, then too bad for you.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Explain then why with all that gear and all that converter your times aren't significantly better? I'd love to hear your explanation on that.

Because I don't have the Boss mani and LT's that you have. My car breathes through stock intake/exhaust manifolds, stock airbox, stock paper filter, etc. My car only has a couple of mods, but I've chosen my mods wisely.

And, even though the 4.10's only offered a minimal improvement for me at the track, they yielded much more entertainment on the street for my daily driving. That alone was worth switching to them.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
I can't compare gear changes but I can say that I've tried both 26's and 28's with almost identical et's. My car with just the spare tire removed, full exhaust, lca's and relocation brackets, 4c, stock 3.15's, and tune has went a best of 11.73 @ 117 in +1500 da. With the 26's it would shift to 4th just before the finish and with the 28's it stays in 3rd. In my opinion from experimenting with the different tire heights and what I've read I don't see an advantage of a gear swap unless it's to 3.31's.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Because I don't have the Boss mani and LT's that you have. My car breathes through stock intake/exhaust manifolds, stock airbox, stock paper filter, etc. My car only has a couple of mods, but I've chosen my mods wisely.

And, even though the 4.10's only offered a minimal improvement for me at the track, they yielded much more entertainment on the street for my daily driving. That alone was worth switching to them.

I have tuned a car in MD running 11.33, low 1.5 60' times, with the same mods as you except his car has a 3.15.

One can get away with running a 4.10 with the stock intake and 28" tire at the top of 4th. The disadvantage with this combo is having to make an extra shift going down track and traction launching the car. The 6R80 has a 4.17 first gear which is super steep. Many people overlook this.

Said timeslip and car:

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I have tuned a car in MD running 11.33, low 1.5 60' times, with the same mods as you except his car has a 3.15.

One can get away with running a 4.10 with the stock intake and 28" tire at the top of 4th. The disadvantage with this combo is having to make an extra shift going down track and traction launching the car. The 6R80 has a 4.17 first gear which is super steep. Many people overlook this.

No disrespect intended as I appreciate your feedback, WBT. However, that car's 121 MPH trap speed tells me that it has more power than my car and/or weighs a lot less. My car traps 117 MPH, which is spot on for what I've done to my car so far. In the pic of the car you showed, I see several signs of weight reduction, especially the lighter drag wheels and skinnies up front. My car is saddled with heavy, factory 18x8's at all four corners with the factory 235/18 Pirellis up front and it's a heavy loaded up car with glass roof, navi, shaker stereo, heated/power front seats, etc. 3850 lbs with me in it.

I'm not sure why people keep saying that launching is more difficult with 4.10's (even with the 4.17 first gear). I properly heat up my tires before rolling up to stage and I dead hook every time - even at one of my local tracks that has bad track prep. Perhaps there are drivers out there who don't know how to do a proper burnout and/or are using the wrong tire?

As for that dreaded "extra" shift? That doesn't slow down a tuned/stalled 6R80 at all as the shift is lightning quick, the revs stay up well into the peak torque, and you don't let off the gas as you would in a manual car. In a manual car, that extra shift would be a very bad thing.

Last edited:

2011/5.0

Reaction score
The difference in the 117mph u run and a 119 - 120 mph cars is not hp or weight. It the 3.15-3.31 gear. I ran much less mph with the 4.10 and 3.73s. Correct on the point of the skinnys helping and your glass roof and subs hurting. I was around 3780 before i swapped in corbeaus last fall

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
The difference in the 117mph u run and a 119 - 120 mph cars is not hp or weight. It the 3.15-3.31 gear. I ran much less mph with the 4.10 and 3.73s.

My ET & trap speed improved when I switched from 3.15's to 4.10's. Went from a best of 12.036 @ 113.13 mph to a best of 11.802 @ 114.82 (click here to review my car's progression from near stock to today's set up). As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
My ET & trap speed improved when I switched from 3.15's to 4.10's. Went from a best of 12.036 @ 113.13 mph to a best of 11.802 @ 114.82 (click here to review my car's progression from near stock to today's set up). As always, YMMV.
You also changed tuners and in your words that's where the improvement came from. Your words, no one else's. Honestly though no one believes a word you say anymore as you have lost all credibility here.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
You also changed tuners and in your words that's where the improvement came from. Your words, no one else's. Honestly though no one believes a word you say anymore as you have lost all credibility here.

Car went equally fast with Mike's tune and the BAMA tune. Mike's tune offers much better drivabilty, though. Read the post I referenced, @$$ #@+. I could care less if you believe anything I say. I don't believe much of what you say either.

It's as if you've made it your life's mission to make sure that nobody ever puts 4.10's in their 5.0L / 6R80. I've provided real data from real time slips on my car to help other people draw their own conclusions. You have no data to support your argument, just hearsay and repeating what others have told you.

I've done mods in prior cars that didn't work out well, and am not afraid to admit when something didn't work and switch back to what did work. Things like the Steeda CAI in my '11 GT that did nothing and the 1-pc d/s in my '14 GT that netted me basically nothing at the track. In this case, however, the 4.10's work to my liking in my '14 GT, so the 4.10's are staying in my car because I like them much better than the 3.15's. I don't need your blessing to keep the 4.10's or to recommend them to others.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Both et's with or without converter?

Both with the Circle-D converter. Only change was the gears. I tried the old BAMA tune that I had with the 3.15's (changed solely for the 4.10's) and I tried Mike Rousch's tune (written for my 4.10's). I can say confidently that MY car went quicker and faster with the 4.10's.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Both with the Circle-D converter. Only change was the gears. I tried the old BAMA tune that I had with the 3.15's (changed solely for the 4.10's) and I tried Mike Rousch's tune (written for my 4.10's). I can say confidently that MY car went quicker and faster with the 4.10's.

Either you are running at Bandimere, have the heaviest S197 5.0 Mustang on the planet or your combination is horribly wrong. I will never recommend a 4.10 or 4.30 to anyone looking to run a number at the track for the reasons I mentioned previously. Yes the extra shift on an auto does make a difference going down track regardless of your personal beliefs.

If you are happy with your times that is fine. Personally I would be highly disappointed if my car ran the time's your car does with the mods it has. My car went 11.88@119 with nothing more than a tune, tires/wheels and passenger seat out.

BTW - I like Mike and have spoken with him on the phone. He does write some very respectable tunes.

Do you have a pic of your car on the scale displaying the raceweight?

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score

I know there are many variables but to only run 12.03 with your mods and a converter and then drop .25 with a gear swap doesn't add up compared to my car. Mine with stock converter and gears went 12.05 and dropped to a 11.73 with a 4c. If you like and prefer the gears you have then that's all that matters. Did you ever run the car with the mods on the stock converter and gears?

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score

Ask mike roush what gear he recommends. I have and it is stock 3.15 or 3.31. He even told me when he tuned my car it may not run as good a number because of my 3.55. I wish I would have kept the stock 3.15 in it.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Mike Rousch has already told Brian the 4.10's are hurting him. But I guess Brian knows more than the guy that actually tunes his car that has done back to back testing with 3.15's and 4.10's.

Also I'll remind everyone that Brian thought the best gear for his previous car (MT82) that 4.56's were the perfect gear. Simply laughable.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Ask mike roush what gear he recommends. I have and it is stock 3.15 or 3.31. He even told me when he tuned my car it may not run as good a number because of my 3.55. I wish I would have kept the stock 3.15 in it.

I'll happily sell you my factory 3.15's as I'll never put them back into my car. I'll PM you my PayPal info and ship them pronto....

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Mike Rousch has already told Brian the 4.10's are hurting him. But I guess Brian knows more than the guy that actually tunes his car that has done back to back testing with 3.15's and 4.10's.

Also I'll remind everyone that Brian thought the best gear for his previous car (MT82) that 4.56's were the perfect gear. Simply laughable.

You are correct that Mike Rousch advised me against the 4.10's. However, the joke's on you because my particular car/combo went a bit faster with the 4.10's. Not every car responds exactly the same depending on the supporting mods, but you can't seem to understand that. Too bad for you.

As for the 4.56's in my '11 GT MT82, that has nothing to do with the current 6R80 conversation, but I'll address it briefly here. I won't suggest 4.56's to anyone for the MT82, but they did help my '11 launch consistently. That improved launch (vs the factory 3.73's) was offset by the extra shift into 5th gear in the 1/4 mile, so I had no overall gain in the 1/4 mile. Same can be said of the Steeda CAI I put in that '11 GT. Absolutely no gain at the track, yet thousands of people buy those and swear they improve performance. Or, how about the GT500 mufflers that I installed on my '11 & '14 just for the better sound. I know they don't add any power, but are still a popular mod for thousands of people who believe their cars are faster just because they sound faster.

Thanks to everyone that offered constructive feedback and insights. The 4.10's with my 6R80 actually improved my 1/4 mile ET & trap speed, so I'm sticking with them.

Back