2013 gt500 6 piston brembos

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to brake harder? WHY? Brakes JUST slow you down. :poke:

yup , from that statement I'm now sure you are not using your brakes hard enough..........;)

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'll say it... I think the 4 piston GT500 brakes are just adequate, and don't agree that the new 6 piston brakes are overkill. A mono-block, radial mount 4 piston caliper combined with a two piece rotor would really do the job. But that's big money. A 6 piston 15" setup for $1300 will do a fine job, even for the guy on a budget, and I don't think it's overkill. The brakes on the Mustang have always sucked. With the 07-12 GT500 Brembos, Ford has just started to get in the game, and the rear brakes still need work, even on the '13.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
even on the 13 ? what is difference on the rear brakes for 13 gt500 or standard ? They are still using the same caliper since 2005 yes ?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
even on the 13 ? what is difference on the rear brakes for 13 gt500 or standard ? They are still using the same caliper since 2005 yes ?
The '13 rear brakes are new, and bigger, but they're still a single piston caliper, much like the '94-12.

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
On the 13 rear brake set up I believe I read the caliper is the same but the rotor is larger in diameter. Can anyone confirm this? Also if it is bigger would it be a easy swap? Thanks?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
On the 13 rear brake set up I believe I read the caliper is the same but the rotor is larger in diameter. Can anyone confirm this? Also if it is bigger would it be a easy swap? Thanks?

Yes it's a bigger rotor. To run them, you'd also need the new calipers and possibly the mounting plate that bolts the axle housing. I show they're all new numbers and probably only work together.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I mean companies like brembo, stoptech, AP have big brake kits out that dont require brake bias or abs changes.

So this should be no different.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I mean companies like brembo, stoptech, AP have big brake kits out that dont require brake bias or abs changes.

So this should be no different.
For most people yes it will be fine. For it to work absolutely optimal, then no.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Brake pressure bias is built into the calipers by using small piston area in the rear and larger piston area in the front. The rest is left up to the ABS. I have heard from Rehagen racing that there was a special race ABS unit, different speed biasing I believe, but I have never heard of anyone actually having lock up or ABS issues with alternate brake setups have you?

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
Brake pressure bias is built into the calipers by using small piston area in the rear and larger piston area in the front. The rest is left up to the ABS. I have heard from Rehagen racing that there was a special race ABS unit, different speed biasing I believe, but I have never heard of anyone actually having lock up or ABS issues with alternate brake setups have you?

No issue here...I run the GT500 Brembo with DBA 5000 and Hawk DTC-60 front. I run the Steeda kit in the rear that uses a 13" one-piece DBA rotor with DTC-70 and stock caliper. No bias issues (probably not braking hard enough!!).

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've run Gt500 brembos, '11 GT brembos, and the FR500C race kit, all on the stock GT ABS unit and I've never experienced an issue or oddity. I feel as though I've pushed them pretty hard at Miller too.

way2qk4u2c

forum member
Reaction score
Since were talking about brembos and braking bias/stopping power

Since the brembos use a transfer tube for the fluid and have no seals between the cailper halves is it bad to separate the 2 halves of the caliper? will it diminish any braking power when re-assembled?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
I'll say it... I think the 4 piston GT500 brakes are just adequate, and don't agree that the new 6 piston brakes are overkill. A mono-block, radial mount 4 piston caliper combined with a two piece rotor would really do the job. But that's big money. A 6 piston 15" setup for $1300 will do a fine job, even for the guy on a budget, and I don't think it's overkill. The brakes on the Mustang have always sucked. With the 07-12 GT500 Brembos, Ford has just started to get in the game, and the rear brakes still need work, even on the '13.

i will have to disagree. with a 05-09 car WITHOUT a blower the 4 piston calipers are perfectly adequate. once you start tossing on extra weight is when most people are overtaxing the brembos big time. the gt500 is much heavier and with me going from that big of a car to mine is a leap.
im a n/a H/C/I car and rarely had issues with my Baer kit, let alone the Brembo calipers. i have ducting but normally do not run it unless temps are through the roof. even with the PBR sliding and 14" rotors it was fine. im probably clocking a whole lot less than most people though as my car is basically stripped.

ill get a full weight(fuel + me) sometime in the next few weeks.

oh and i do agree 100% on that ford finally stepped up to the plate....took them long enough.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
I've run Gt500 brembos, '11 GT brembos, and the FR500C race kit, all on the stock GT ABS unit and I've never experienced an issue or oddity. I feel as though I've pushed them pretty hard at Miller too.

Baer 2 piston, stockers + lines, pads and ducts, and now brembos and never had an issue on a GT ABS unit and rear brakes and i beat them around VIR and Summit Point.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I won't tell I have beat on them because I haven't yet. But so far they have worked flawlessly with no other change but what you see.

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
It is not a kit it is something I built myself. A ton of work and not economically feasible for me. Baer has something like it new to the market.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
It is not a kit it is something I built myself. A ton of work and not economically feasible for me. Baer has something like it new to the market.

Nothing custom ever is...if you were to build a kit like that for someone, how much would it cost?

Haven't seen any aftermarket kits shy of $2K

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back