Bigger, Stronger, and a Lift!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread will be to document the rebuild of our home that was destroyed last year by fire. I will include pics and videos, and over the next 8 to 10 months you’ll be able to see it all happen as we go.

The title of this thread… Bigger, Stronger, and a Lift!.., is a spin-off from a thread I had when I was rebuilding my engine (Bigger, Stronger, Faster). The house will be about 1,000 SF bigger, will be built stronger (due to earthquake and fire codes), and I plan on having a 2-post lift in the garage!!

Although this thread is about the future, a little historical background may be useful. Most of this has been posted in other places, but I wanted to repeat it here for completeness.

======================================================

A little over a year ago, our world was turned upside down. As most of you know, we lost our house on Monday, 10/22/07 in the San Diego wildfires.

Our neighbor woke us up at about 5:15am to let us know there was a fire on the hillside behind our house. I went out to take a look, and at first was not concerned. It was raging to be sure, but the strong Santa Ana winds were blowing away from us, and I didn’t feel threatened at all. So I grabbed the video camera, and started shooting. It was hot, smoky and smelly, and my eyes were full of ash, but I kept shooting. About 15 or 20 minutes went by, and the Fire Dept told us to leave. We went about a block, and hit some traffic. After waiting there a while, we decided to double back and try to get out another direction. We drove back to our house at about 6:00am, only to discover that the situation was a more serious than I previously thought. As we left that last time, all we had with us were a few photo albums and pictures, my laptop, our cameras, and the clothes we were wearing. Donna and I each drove a vehicle, leaving one behind.

Here is the video I shot in those pre-dawn moments before we evacuated.

[sfire]b6537e6c-a140-4ad4-aac5-9b4c00182e6b[/sfire]

After about an hour stuck in local traffic (remember, about a half million people were evacuated in San Diego that day), we finally got on the highway, and went to my office. I figured we would have phones, bathrooms, internet, etc. there. At about 9:30am, our daughter called us and she was hysterical. She said a local TV station was broadcasting live from right in front of our house as it burned to the ground. My son captured it on his DVR, and we watched a recording of that a few hours later. It was bizarre to say the least. Here is the same footage we saw.

Parts 1 and 2 are the actual live footage being broadcast as the house burned. It's pretty graphic, but there are a couple humorous moments when the newscasters say dumb things. Give yourself some time to watch this... it was almost 25 minutes of live TV and they stayed on our house for most of that time (all but about 6 minutes in Part 1). Part 3 was a 5-minute summary wrap up that they did at 6:00pm later that evening. The field reporter was in the studio for this.

PART 1 (16 min)
Note from 1:53 thru 7:53 is not coverage of our house; you can FF through that part if you want.

[sfire]fa4a4425-f46c-4417-8c5b-9b3f00206a70[/sfire]

PART 2 (8 min)

[sfire]8fa9da57-2cb3-4d00-84c9-9b3f010d2ea8[/sfire]

PART 3 (5 min)

[sfire]9bf1b40b-4eb7-40d6-b548-9b3f01206e58[/sfire]

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
October 25, 2007

We ended up having to wait three days before authorities would allow us back into the neighborhood. When we arrived on 10/25/07, we found what looked like a war zone. A total of 29 houses on our street alone were gone. As it turned out, it was the hardest hit street in all of southern California.

This is what it looked like before 10/22/07…

DSC02402.JPG

And this is what we saw on Thursday, 10/25/07…

[sfire]539d6972-fed4-47c3-a7f8-9b4c001ca699[/sfire]

The Front Entrance...
DSC00471.JPG

All that is still standing...
DSC00472.JPG

Looking into the garage, then the den, then the kitchen...
DSC00473.JPG

Looking Northeast
DSC00474.JPG

View from Backyard Hill
DSC00522.JPG

View from Backyard Hill
DSC00527.JPG

View from Backyard Hill
DSC00538.JPG

Neighboring Two Houses to the South
DSC00536.JPG

Neighboring House to the North
DSC00537.JPG

My Ford Bronco... the "Pit Truck"
DSC00478.JPG

As expected, the media was all over the place. We were interviewed by several TV stations, radio, newspapers, etc. Ed (msgt46270) caught this segment that evening, showing Donna on the news.

don_w

Reaction score
October 28, 2007

On Sunday, 10/28/07, we had a “clean up day”. A bunch of our family, friends, and volunteers from a church were there with us. We basically were sifting through the rubble to see if there was anything worth saving. Here are more pics Ed and I took that day:

The Bronco
DSC01228.jpg

The house, the lot
DSC01229.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

Volunteers from a church came to help
DSC01233.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

Me, Donna and Ed
DSC01237.jpg

One of the Volunteers with Donna & me
DSC01238.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

My Weld XP Drag Wheels and Tires.

DSC00506.JPG

DSC00507.JPG

DSC00565.JPG

Check this one out... my Craftsman tool box kept standing even after going through a hellacious fire and then having a stucco wall fall on it.

DSC00512.JPG

DSC00518.JPG

Of course, the screwdrivers have seen better days...

DSC00671.JPG

You guys should recognize some of the parts in the next two pics:

DSC00632.JPG

DSC00633.JPG

A couple compressors and other stuff. The large compressor on the right I bought just a couple weeks before the fire.

DSC00639.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
October 28, 2007 (con't)

More carnage...

DSC00650.JPG

These are my track wheels again...

DSC00653.JPG

A few drill bits from one of my toolboxes (I had 7 of them total).

DSC00657.JPG

Some pliers, cutters, etc.

DSC00672.JPG

My son found a fiberglass-handled hammer...

DSC00693.JPG

The other hammer handles just vaporized.
DSC00700.JPG

This "was" Donna's KitchenAid mixer... nothing but an aluminum puddle now.

DSC00681.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
November 15-17, 2007

A few weeks later on 11/15/07, the demolition and debris removal started. I watched the demo crew load the remains of our home into a dump truck to be hauled away.

DSC01222.JPG

DSC01224.JPG

DSC01241.JPG

DSC01270.JPG

The slab/foundation were gone within a few days... this sequence of photos shows the change.

October 25, 2007

DSC00527_2007-10-25.JPG

November 15, 2007

DSC01270_2007-11-15.JPG

November 16, 2007

DSC01311_2007-11-16.JPG

November 17, 2007

DSC01380_2007-11-17.JPG

The only piece of the structure we saved was a small slab of concrete that had our family’s handprints on it from back in 1995 when we had some work done in the backyard. We intend to incorporate this slab into the new landscaping somewhere, and add our grandkids as well.

DSC01253.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
November 4, 2008

The bulk of next year was spent fighting with the insurance company and weeding through government agencies, and trying to figure out where we were going to be financially.

But while this was going on, we were attempting to identify a builder to replace our house. Eventually, we decided on Stonefield Development, and then worked with their architects to come up with a semi-custom design that met our wishes and desires, yet still conformed to budget and lot size limitations. Except for some minor details involving a few windows, and other miscellaneous stuff, here is what the basic design looks like.

First_Floor.jpg

Second_Floor.jpg

Front_Elevation.jpg

Rear_Elevation.jpg

Left_Elevation.jpg

Right_Elevation.jpg

We are currently in the permitting phase right now, and they expect to break ground on the foundation sometime in the next couple weeks (depending on the speed of the City permit process).

While that is going on, the lot has been dug up, compacted and graded.

P1060410.jpg

And some excavation work has begun for the new retaining walls. Since the house is going to be much bigger, we decided to push the walls back a little further to open up a little more room in the back and side yards. I took these pics a couple days ago, on 11/4/08.

P1060608.jpg

P1060611.jpg

P1060614.jpg

P1060626.jpg

P1060629.jpg

Well, that is where we are now. I will keep adding to this thread as new developments happen.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We are currently in the permitting phase right now, and they expect to break ground on the foundation sometime in the next couple weeks (depending on the speed of the City permit process).

Good luck with your permitting, Don. Unfortunately most permit counters claim they can only give you a song or a dance, not both, because of budget cuts.

don_w

Reaction score
Good luck with your permitting, Don. Unfortunately most permit counters claim they can only give you a song or a dance, not both, because of budget cuts.
The good news for us is that there is a special unit dedicated specifically to the fire victims. They only work on permits for those houses destroyed in the fire. The process seems to be working well... it's been taking about 3 to 4 weeks from what we've been hearing.

Oh... and they waive all of the permit fees for us, too! :clap:

Krahzee1

Reaction score
I went through a house fire 3.5 yrs ago, probably the worst experience of my life. Insurance companies can be horrible, I'm sure it was a little more cut and dry in your case, but my adjuster made me fight for every dime, ugh.

good to see you are getting things back together though.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Really glad to see that the rebuilding has started. I still have a hard time watching the video's & pictures and it wasn't even my house. I just feel so bad as to what happened to you and Donna. But with the new house coming and a lift (LOL) we'll have some new good times in the future. As always, if you ever need something just give me a call.

Best of Friends
Ed

:bigbeer:

don_w

Reaction score
I went through a house fire 3.5 yrs ago, probably the worst experience of my life. Insurance companies can be horrible, I'm sure it was a little more cut and dry in your case, but my adjuster made me fight for every dime, ugh.

good to see you are getting things back together though.
Sorry to hear that. And it sounds like your insurance experience was as bad as mine. We had to develop a list of every single thing we owned before they would pay out for personal property. Plus they depreciated almost everything. My list was 156 pages long, and in the end, we had over $400K on the list, but my policy limit was about $200K. And I had the same problem with the structure and exterior items (patio, fence, landscaping, etc.). The actual cost to replace all that will be between $150K and $200K more than my insurance limits. Fuggers...

Really glad to see that the rebuilding has started. I still have a hard time watching the video's & pictures and it wasn't even my house. I just feel so bad as to what happened to you and Donna. But with the new house coming and a lift (LOL) we'll have some new good times in the future. As always, if you ever need something just give me a call.

Best of Friends
Ed

:bigbeer:

I'm definitely looking forward to lots of good times at the new house... BBQs, poker games, and lift rides. hahah

Stoenr

forum member
Reaction score
Words cant even express how I feel, I'm just speechless at it all. I remember that day and the info and footage you provided. I am just glad to see it all on the other side, and things going the other way now, up, instead of down. Wish I was closer to meet one hell of a guy.

don_w

Reaction score
I am just glad to see it all on the other side, and things going the other way now, up, instead of down.
+1 to that. These next few months will be hectic at times, but they will be fun too. :thumb:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I prefer to always try to find a silver lining. I believe that things happen for a reason.

I like the house floor plan. The elevations look good to, I think its going to be a great looking house. I like the slab you saved for the new house.

And the lift, well.........

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, is that your name on the drawing?

don_w

Reaction score
Well, I prefer to always try to find a silver lining. I believe that things happen for a reason.
I agree... the good news is that we'll have a brand new house out of this.

I like the house floor plan. The elevations look good to, I think its going to be a great looking house. I like the slab you saved for the new house.
It took many, many iterations to get it where we wanted it. We had to make a lot of compromises, but I think it will be nice when it's done.

And the lift, well.........
:thumb:

Don, is that your name on the drawing?
Yep... it's no secret.

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like it gonna a nice house. I remember those stages. I am so glad it's done. Remember, make sure the electrical is done the way you want it. I made about 100 changes to my plans. Good luck, Don. And can't wait for the party.

don_w

Reaction score
+1,000,000 on the electrical. That's on my To-Do list for this weekend. I have a meeting on Monday to submit our changes.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the build Don. I remember hearing about a guy on the forums whos house burned down in the california fires but I just now made the connection. dur

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
good luck man believe me i know how much of a bitch it can be to fight insurance people ( doing it again right now ) but im glad to see stuff finally coming back together for you

ps you suck i want a lift at my house too lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back