Brakes or shocks/struts

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
That's because you haven't gone fla_tout. :D
Almost as close as I can, though. Something like 315-ish HP at the crank is letting me get right at redline in 4th down the main straights at either of the courses at NJMP (my home track), this being about 125 mph, with virtually nothing left. Acceleration is basically flat-lined (at barely +0.1g immediately before hitting the brakes). :shrug:

Actually, I don't think that NJMP is all that tough on brakes, but I did manage to crack all 8 of the XP8 pads (heat-checked the front rotors), and all four of the front XP10's after that. Right on the edge of overdriving them and I took the hints.

In the words of Carroll Smith, "...sliding caliper, which I consider to be a crime against nature."
Don't know when that was written or where pad technology stood at the time, but since I'm not getting fade or appreciable unequal or taper wear I really can't complain even though the fronts are only 2-piston sliders.

Norm

Last edited:

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
..I'm not getting fade or appreciable unequal or taper wear I really can't complain even though the fronts are only 2-piston sliders.
I experienced uneven wear (likely due to caliper spread), crumbling pistons, and cracked rotors on my '07. All of the above issues were realized WITH 3" cooling ducts on the car and 2011+ Mustang GT rotors. I'm swapping to '07-'12 GT500 rotors, Wilwoods, and custom brackets for my '14, and trying to increase spindle-end cooling effectiveness.

One of the main tracks I run (CMP) is very brake intensive, but VIR is far less so.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Just throwing another option out there for you, OP...for your $1500, if you shop around on the forums, you should be able to get a decent set of aftermarket dampers, springs, and even some GT500 take off 4 pot Brembos. That would handle your modest track day/autoX demands. And lets face it, the Brembos look much nicer peeking through your wheel spokes than the stock calipers. :thumb:

I got my gently used Tokico d-Specs, H&R Supersport Springs, GT500 strut mounts (bought those new), and take off GT500 Brembos for right around your $1500 target. It may not be the sexiest combo out there, but it rides good, handles 100X better than stock, and it works for me. Plus I didn't have to drop major coin on new parts.

Last edited:

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Just throwing another option out there for you, OP...for your $1500, if you shop around on the forums, you should be able to get a decent set of aftermarket dampers, springs, and even some GT500 take off 4 pot Brembos. That would handle your modest track day/autoX demands.
This idea seems like a winner.*

*As long as the dampers are Bilsteins. :)

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
This idea seems like a winner.*

*As long as the dampers are Bilsteins. :)

Well said Andy. I was able to pick up my Bilstein's for much less than people seem to think they cost. And not worn out used junk either.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back