Cam phaser, to lock out or limit?

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm... Were there any signs of issues with the phasers before installing the limiters?

Thanks

Well, right after the engine was built it would run horrible if I lugged the rpm's down low, like it was running on 5 cylinders. However, the phasers were not making noise. I put the lockouts in and the problem went away.

So, to answer your question, I think the phasers might have been a problem before the limiters. Would you agree?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can you please tell me the difference(s) between your limiters and the comp limiters? Is the install identical?

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Can you please tell me the difference(s) between your limiters and the comp limiters? Is the install identical?

They are very different from each other, and the install on the comps is more involved.

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well, right after the engine was built it would run horrible if I lugged the rpm's down low, like it was running on 5 cylinders. However, the phasers were not making noise. I put the lockouts in and the problem went away.

So, to answer your question, I think the phasers might have been a problem before the limiters. Would you agree?

I would agree then in that instance.

Thanks

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score

To be completely honest I have only messed with the Comp limiters once. At the time when I worked with them we were in process with coming up with something of our own. The comp piece required taking things apart a little farther than I would have preferred. Regardless of the difficulty in taking it apart it still worked just fine, it just required a little more thinking that I thought should be necassary.

With our limiters for installation you really only need to take the back cover plate off and then insert the limiter into one of the empty cavities and then put the cover back on. Thats it. No further disassembly is required. They install in the exact same manner as the lockouts do.

Again both our limiters and the comp limiters do the exact same thing. The difference being really only in installation and price.

Thanks
Mike

solaratomic

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm confused...Do the limiters stop the knocking or not? My car seems to run fine just the phaser's knocking.

mike@livernois

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, the limiters in every case that we have used them on have stopped the knocking noise.

Now if the phaser is already damaged though to some extent then it may only be a temporary fix until the damage becomes worse. Meaning the knocking may quite up but there may already be to much damage to the phaser and it will fail in another area like the cam pin area.

Thanks
Mike

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
sorry, but i've never been able to get onto the livernois site from my room since i've been in iraq. what is the price of your limiters.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, here is what Rick had sent me over. I think the graph is pretty straightforward. Here are the mods on the car.

Livernois Motorsports Stage 3 CNC Cylinder Heads
Livernois Motorsports Cam Phaser Limiters
Comp 127300 Camshafts
Kook's Longtube Headers and X-Pipe w/Cats
Corsa Axle-Back Exhaust System
C&L CAI
Tuned by Livernois Motorsports

Stock, it made 262 RWHP, after the mods, it made 370 RWHP / 340 RWTQ.

Here is the video from the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liqWdZ9qgOQ

Thanks

Hey Mike, in the video it says lockouts, so the lockouts are the ones that take out the tapping noise?
Do they need a new tune?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike - I ordered the limiters overnight delivery on your site last night...:thumb:

I have the comp limiters and they have been sitting in my garage for 3 weeks. I just haven't got around to putting them in but the install seems difficult and it appears I need to pull the timing cover and it's just not worth it. I'm sending them back and was sold on yours simply for the ease of install - good job!:beer:

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With our limiters for installation you really only need to take the back cover plate off and then insert the limiter into one of the empty cavities and then put the cover back on. Thats it. No further disassembly is required. They install in the exact same manner as the lockouts do.

Again both our limiters and the comp limiters do the exact same thing. The difference being really only in installation and price.

Thanks
Mike

What is the estimated install time? Is a tune update to optimize the limiters, or is it a must?

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it is a must because the tuner has to set the VCT at 20* Max

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct. It's just a mater of making sure no setting is set over 20º.

The only issue is there is a lot of screens. I'm not sure about the predator, but in the SCT - there are nine screens with tables in them to check to make sure nothing is over 20º.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you cannot do it from the handheld unit. you need the pro racer pack to do this yourself

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car does not sound like the one in the Livernois clip. Adam at ST says that the JE Pistons are typically a little noisey at start up for the first 2-3 minutes. That is also when the noise goes away.

Last edited:

06 Saleen wana-be

Reaction score
i have a few questions for mike or andy. I have that knocking noise also so after reading this iam looking at getting your limiters. But, other then stopping the knocking will i see any hp gains with just intake, long tubes off road pipes? And lastly, tuning. From what i read someone says you can tune for them with an sct or diablo, others say you cant. So, whats the answer?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back