Discouraged 3v owner

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Ship it to my builder, reputable builder Manley/comp distributor. He got 4 3valve's builds going on right now. If your staying between 600-700. It would probably cost about 5500 all said and done.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
People bag on 3v all the time. I would still have mine if I hadn't bought the wrong power adder to start with along with a manual car when I wanted an automatic.

500-600whp shouldn't be that tough to make with a built bottom end. Good for 10s easy and any more than that you gotta cage it. Not to mention a small tire on the street at 600whp is gonna be a handful..

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
Ship it to my builder, reputable builder Manley/comp distributor. He got 4 3valve's builds going on right now. If your staying between 600-700. It would probably cost about 5500 all said and done.
Is this a short block build or long block?

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a short block build or long block?

Manley forged studded Long block, Assembled. this was my original quote before i decided to go ape shit.

CNC porting 900$. But he'll only take them to 275CFM.

If you opt to run your cast crank take subtract 500ish.

Old school dude, he's been around for decades, backs his work, impressive shop, but he's always insanely busy.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Alright somebody school me here because I thought 550rwhp isn’t unreasonable without the built block.
Brenspeed has two videos on their YouTube page of two different 3V on the dyno, with long tubes, Intake manifold and a H.O Paxton kit, one making 555, one making 547 if I remember correctly. Granted you are on borrowed time unless tuned correctly, and they keep the torque around 450rw just for that reason.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Alright somebody school me here because I thought 550rwhp shouldn’t be that hard to get, even without the built block.
Brenspeed has two videos on their YouTube page of two different 3V on the dyno, with long tubes, Intake manifold and a H.O Paxton kit, one making 555, one making 547 if I remember correctly. Granted you are on borrowed time unless tuned correctly, and they keep the torque around 450rwtq just for that reason.
I think you answered your own question. All it takes is some boost. The building of it is so the engine will live at that power level.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question. All it takes is some boost. The building of it is so the engine will live at that power level.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

^This. A good tune will let the stock RA make all kinds of power, but it's on borrowed time. There have been a few here that have pushed 500+ on the stock RA for a considerable ammount of time, but they kept there foot out of it and off the track.

OP, look into coyote boss rods when you do your build. Save you some money and well suited for your goals. The mahle pistons roush used to use would be another great budget piece if you can find a set (ebay?). They should have a set for 9.5:1, right with your goals. Also don't be afraid to ship a block to get it done right. If you were near Vegas we could have a long block in your car by the beginning of next month.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Manley forged studded Long block, Assembled. this was my original quote before i decided to go ape shit.

CNC porting 900$. But he'll only take them to 275CFM.

If you opt to run your cast crank take subtract 500ish.

Old school dude, he's been around for decades, backs his work, impressive shop, but he's always insanely busy.

If he can do a long block for 5500 bucks I’m seriously interested.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
My commitment to this car probably stops short of shipping motors and or driving to Texas or Florida to get the build done.
If I can't get it done around here, I'll probably sell it.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I don't care for the 3V motor, had one, built one and have seen too many valve train and head sealing issues. I've swapped in a Coyote and I'm very pleased. Yes, you can build a 3V to handle that kind of power and more, the problem is once you've obtained your power level, you may desire more (550hp isn't that much anymore). Get rid of the 3V, it was just a stepping stone into a more efficient 4V motor.

Last edited:

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
People bag on 3v all the time. I would still have mine if I hadn't bought the wrong power adder to start with along with a manual car when I wanted an automatic.

500-600whp shouldn't be that tough to make with a built bottom end. Good for 10s easy and any more than that you gotta cage it. Not to mention a small tire on the street at 600whp is gonna be a handful..

What kind of supporting mods here will allow a 500whp mustang to run 10s?
(Suspension, tires, DS?)

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
What kind of supporting mods here will allow a 500whp mustang to run 10s?
(Suspension, tires, DS?)

A high stall converter is the big one for an automatic besides tires of course. Some weight reduction will also go a long way. Big/little wheel setup, and some racing seats do a lot for that already.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
The ONLY industry where I get this "we don't want your money" attitude is from shops like this. Why is that? Is business that good?

The 3v is totally worth building, IMO, especially if you've bonded with that car. I miss my stock 3v a lot.

If ultimate numbers were all we cared about, we would be drooling on Tesla P100Ds.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shop in the Kansas City area that's 3v friendly?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Having done both, there's not much difference between dealing with a 4.6 3V and a 5.0 cam in block for machining. The market is shrinking rapidly for aftermarket automotive work. All of the shops around here want to do big industrial jobs!

My sole concern and pain in the ass factor about these engines are the heads - the tubes that seal the spark plugs. I can see these starting to leak and cause issues after you degrease the heads. Then you end up with plug wells full of oil. I believe mine were weeping already. I want to get a scrap head and see about r&r'ing these and resealing with hylomar.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Having done both, there's not much difference between dealing with a 4.6 3V and a 5.0 cam in block for machining. The market is shrinking rapidly for aftermarket automotive work. All of the shops around here want to do big industrial jobs!

I suspect it is because there are fewer and fewer people actually modifying cars. It has become too expensive, a hassle, nobody fixes anything (they R&R) or people just accept the performance the car already has. Each generation cars less about cars and more about other things. Sports, computers, you name it.

When Ford sells 310hp turbo 4 cylinder and 450hp 5.0 V8 Mustangs, most people are fine with the power.

Years ago I said to a friend performance cars are gonna get just like performance motorcycles. Real sports cars are going to get so highly tunes and come with all the power you can use and the regulations to make more power will be so restrictive it won't be worth the expense. Turbos and supercharges will be it, and mufflers. People will say they have a modified car and when you see the car it will have wheels, mufflers, maybe suspension.

The 70's and early 80's were a seismic shift away from hot rodding cars. Cars became, more or less, a way to get from here to there. The 90's and early 2000's slowed that shift, but the shift is moving again now. Baring an unexpected change in interests I predict that within 15-20 years performance cars will be rare. And probably half of them will be electric driven. Look at the interest being heaped on the electric "supercars".

As soon as the battery charging time issue is solved (not if...when) gas cars will be effectively dead.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I suspect it is because there are fewer and fewer people actually modifying cars. It has become too expensive, a hassle, nobody fixes anything (they R&R) or people just accept the performance the car already has. Each generation cars less about cars and more about other things. Sports, computers, you name it.

When Ford sells 310hp turbo 4 cylinder and 450hp 5.0 V8 Mustangs, most people are fine with the power.

Years ago I said to a friend performance cars are gonna get just like performance motorcycles. Real sports cars are going to get so highly tunes and come with all the power you can use and the regulations to make more power will be so restrictive it won't be worth the expense. Turbos and supercharges will be it, and mufflers. People will say they have a modified car and when you see the car it will have wheels, mufflers, maybe suspension.

The 70's and early 80's were a seismic shift away from hot rodding cars. Cars became, more or less, a way to get from here to there. The 90's and early 2000's slowed that shift, but the shift is moving again now. Baring an unexpected change in interests I predict that within 15-20 years performance cars will be rare. And probably half of them will be electric driven. Look at the interest being heaped on the electric "supercars".

As soon as the battery charging time issue is solved (not if...when) gas cars will be effectively dead.

I agree, to an extent. But the battery charging issue is quickly fading. Tesla is doing R&D for its cars using "fueling" stations along with its charging stations. I think it's pretty decent you can get 300+ miles out of a 45 minute charge. It's not bad in the scope of things. Now they're playing with actually creating a drainable battery cell. Effectively, how we pump gas into a gas tank, they will drain used electrolyte from the cell and replace it with freshly charged electrolyte. While the electrolyte from discharge stays at the station to be recharged. Onboard solar and magnetic bearings will one day extend the travel time as well. But I won't get into that.

It's true the aftermarket isn't as big as it used to be. A lot of that hinges on the economy. The more money the average joe has freed up, the more likely they are to burn it on frivolous activities. The tighter cost of living and wages are, the less likely they'll be to burn additional cash on making horsepower. Yes, as petrol fades, electric and other means of transportation will take reign, but I can see even the electric cars having an aftermarket. Nothing like throwing some extra capacitors in an electric car to haul nuts down the 1/4 mile destroying an old twin turbo chevelle.

Profit is a big one, of course. Just being a specialty shop puts you in a high risk category for failure. Even the people who want to play in the aftermarket realm can barely afford to do so. As a business, you have to get paid and so do your employees. The best aftermarket shops are you and your friends. Sharing tools, knowledge, and experience brings a quality to an aftermarket build that few shops can match. Not to mention the highest fee paid is in beer & food. I never spent a dime on shop labor my entire cars history of cam swaps, nitrous builds, and finally blower install. I did have a shop weld my axle tubes and rebuild my diff. The only reason was I didn't feel like doing it myself. I did swap my stock 3.55's for 4.10's myself. Working on a diff is the ultimate shit job for me, I'd rather pull a tranny. My friends have kicked around the idea of opening an aftermarket shop in Vegas, just for fun. Nothing they'd quit their real jobs to do full time, but something to make extra cash and take on jobs they want. My $0.02 to them was, the shop will rely on each individuals specialty, and without any one of them, the shop will suffer. So don't get in so deep that you can't survive when one bails, because one will bail eventually.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Try SAUM Engineering in Wichita, Crownaviation(reputable former member) used them.

Last edited:

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything except a phone # for SAUM Engineering, not even a website.
Anyone else have info on it?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back