DIY: Black out Chrome Emblems

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
You need to cut with a sharp exacto knife before you remove tape. Either that or when you pull the tape. Keep it low and pull away from painted surface. Not straight up as it will pull the paint up and off the object.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Be very careful using a knife. It will slice through your clear and your paint instantly.

I decided to buy a new Faux emblem, and paint it while it is off of the car.

Keep in mind, a slight tear will ruin the finish on the emblem, and it will need to be repainted. So far, after wiping with a microfiber, using invisible glass and detail spray, it has held up.

OP - You are awesome man. Thank you for this thread. My car looks a whole hell of a lot better now.

Did have one question. How the hell do you tape off the center "GT" Emblem. You guys must be very patient, lol.

Do any of you drive through winter? Any experience with this stuff holding up to winter/salt/snow, etc?

Thanks!

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I took my GT emblems off and used some double sided to remount them. I'm probably gonna buy another gas lid myself. Unless I get the black out that deletes it...

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
OP - You are awesome man. Thank you for this thread. My car looks a whole hell of a lot better now.

Did have one question. How the hell do you tape off the center "GT" Emblem. You guys must be very patient, lol.

Thanks!

:thumb2:

I just taped off the center emblem and with a sharp knife cut around circle.

Super Six One

Banned
Reaction score
Be very careful using a knife. It will slice through your clear and your paint instantly.

I decided to buy a new Faux emblem, and paint it while it is off of the car.

Keep in mind, a slight tear will ruin the finish on the emblem, and it will need to be repainted. So far, after wiping with a microfiber, using invisible glass and detail spray, it has held up.

Do any of you drive through winter? Any experience with this stuff holding up to winter/salt/snow, etc?

Thanks!
It takes forever, but you have to rip off small pieces of tape and mask the center emblem with that.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Havent tried stripes. But I am 100% confident it will come off paint completely. I sprayed my hood down with it to test it lol

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
I just did this today, worked pretty damn well. Still need to go back and work on the rear medallion, but the side emblems look sick. I'm thinking about painting the black stripe on my hood with this stuff, I just don't want to have to go back and redo it every week.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely worth a shot.. The paint's shot on my hood. Worst case scenario, I'll just peel it off. This shit's amazing, guys. If you're thinking about doing this mod, just do it.

scottee

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on materials. I just sprayed my Faux gas cap & emblems yesterday. They turned out great, esp. the gas cap. It is amazing how much better it looks in flat black.

I cant comment on the durability yet (obviously), but we shall see.

Has anyone tried using the Plasti Dip primer before using this stuff? I think it would make the part useless if you decided to peel, but according to thier website the primer is supposed to be used for every application. Obviously it sticks without, but I am curious how much better it sticks with the primer.

Scott

EMT644

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing this right now but I think I may have sprayed my first full coat to heavy and I think I may have to start over. Something about spraying my paint to do the rear emblem is making me super nervous. If it turns out ok I'll post some pics.

xmalachi

forum member
Reaction score
I attempted this one today on my faux gas cap and I think I may have put it on too thick. I already took it off but I wish I would have taken a picture. I'm going to give it a go again tomorrow. Great and cheap mod! Thanks OP!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking now about plasti-dipping the chrome pony emblem on the grille. Any idea how well that would hold up to bugs and stuff?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back