DIY: Black out Chrome Emblems

ford_freak

Reaction score
This stuff is great! I did my fuel door and door handles as well. So far holding up great on the paint.

bullitt4434

forum member
Reaction score
mines held up through the heat wave and crazy rain thats been going through va recently

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
1st attempt: fail. Did it outside and too much dust got in the paint. Had to wipe clean with about 2 cans of brake cleaner for 2 rims and restart...indoors. The wife is going to LOVE me :)

bullitt4434

forum member
Reaction score
haha good luck, be sure to post some pictures. what wheels is it going on?

crummyarchitect

Reaction score
Just realized I never posted pics of my emblems after the blackout. For the record, the method I used was the same as the OP, but looking back on it pulling them off would have probably been easier than all the taping off. And if anyone has had this issue, I did mine outside and some wind kicked up when I did the GT logo, and I got a little over spray down the side of my car beyond what I had covered. Really hard to see black PlastiDip on the black paint, but I could feel it. No worries though, a little Meguiar's pre-wax cleaner took it right off. I have since bought a couple extra cans anticipating doing my wheels. I have 18" polished bullitts, and not sure how well it will stick to them. I see pics of other people on here with bullitts, and just wonder if theirs were painted, anthracite, or polished. I will update post when I find out if it goes well or not.
mustangblackout001.jpg

mustangblackout004.jpg

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Just realized I never posted pics of my emblems after the blackout. For the record, the method I used was the same as the OP, but looking back on it pulling them off would have probably been easier than all the taping off. And if anyone has had this issue, I did mine outside and some wind kicked up when I did the GT logo, and I got a little over spray down the side of my car beyond what I had covered. Really hard to see black PlastiDip on the black paint, but I could feel it. No worries though, a little Meguiar's pre-wax cleaner took it right off. I have since bought a couple extra cans anticipating doing my wheels. I have 18" polished bullitts, and not sure how well it will stick to them. I see pics of other people on here with bullitts, and just wonder if theirs were painted, anthracite, or polished. I will update post when I find out if it goes well or not.

Looks very nice

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
any tips for removing this stuff? started taking it off my wheels and it took me a good hour and a half to get 1 wheel done. its not coming off in big chunks like i see in videos, its ripping off in tiny pieces.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
This is why your first coat is always very heavy. Helps make it one layer instead of sporadic like if u were to spray it on light.

Brake cleaner and a lot of rags to wipe it away works. Takes some time. Work one area at a time to avoid a big nasty mess.

SickGT

forum member
Reaction score
I will be doing the 45th anniversary badges and rear gas cap tomorrow. I only bought 1 can today... but after seeing how well the saleen rims turned out, I will be doing those as well.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the overspray from plastidip travels further than you think so you have to basically mask off the entire car if you are spraying in the slightest wind. The stuff is hard to get off paint if it sits for several days, I had to use Ultimate Compound on some of it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back