DIY: Black out Chrome Emblems

Midnight11

forum member
Reaction score
it can be durable just all depends i guess. ive seen where i guy wrecked is front bumper and the dip was just fine...

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
i did my emblems yesterday and ran into a couple problems...when you tape up around the emblems, removing the tape wants to remove some of the dip stuff as well. I'm going to remove them today and paint them on a piece of newspaper or wax paper and then just reinstall.

Super Six One

Banned
Reaction score
i did my emblems yesterday and ran into a couple problems...when you tape up around the emblems, removing the tape wants to remove some of the dip stuff as well. I'm going to remove them today and paint them on a piece of newspaper or wax paper and then just reinstall.
I ran into that problem with the gas cap as well.

You just have to be ridiculously careful when you take the tape off.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I took all the emblems off today and im painting them as we speak. Wasn't that hard. Removing the old adhesive from the car was a mother F***** but other than that, just time and patience. I did break a GT emblem so I ordered a new one. STRONGLY considered putting on blacked out decepticon emblems >:)

Shane361

forum member
Reaction score
I did my friends rims on his GTO today. They look fantastic but it doesnt seem to be sticking. My rims were painted with a clear coat and his are just metal. Cleaned well so that isnt the issue. It wont last so I told him to powder coat them black cause they look great in black on his red car and red calipers.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
i don't have the guts to do my rims...just seems way too easy to rip some of this stuff off and a PITA to repaint them everytime it happens...

1SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score

I ran into that problem with the gas cap as well.

You just have to be ridiculously careful when you take the tape off.

What I ended up doing after ripping some of the plastidip stuff off everytime I went to remove the tape was I used a razor blade and ran it around the edge of the tape and emblem in that little crevice. Cleaned up the plastidip nicely and I could remove the tape without fear. My .02

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I did my friends rims on his GTO today. They look fantastic but it doesnt seem to be sticking. My rims were painted with a clear coat and his are just metal. Cleaned well so that isnt the issue. It wont last so I told him to powder coat them black cause they look great in black on his red car and red calipers.

Did you let it dry for the 4 hours it says to on the can.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I am going to do this to my GT.

Don't you need to sand the emblem down and roughen up the surface for the paint to adhere correctly?

Does this hold up well to carwash solution, spray waxes, etc? I can imagine salt will eventually fade the emblem, so that's fine.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
Another awesome part is you can't mess it up! I screwed up like 4 times, just peeled it off and tried again!

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
i agree...the stuff is great!! I sprayed it on the paint inside my decklid, let it dry for an hour and it came right off!!! I have all my emblems done and screwed em up twice. I actually found it better to take em off. Pretty simple with some fishing line and a screw driver to pull em off. Retaping them is a bitch though...had to use an exacto knife to cut the 3M tape to fit perfect. And don't get me started on all the individual strips I cut and laid on the rear gas cap lol

Super Six One

Banned
Reaction score
To anyone who has painted their rims...how well has it held up?

I wonder because I'm doing mine right now, and I've got brake dust baked onto the wheel that won't come off no matter how hard it's scrubbed.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
To anyone who has painted their rims...how well has it held up?

I wonder because I'm doing mine right now, and I've got brake dust baked onto the wheel that won't come off no matter how hard it's scrubbed.

If you have access to a directional orbiter and a light cutting pad, try that with some cleaner wax or polish and it should come off. Your rims should be cleared.

The plastidip will stick to the baked in dust anyhow.

allinon72

forum member
Reaction score
I cannot get a good straight edge with this stuff...thats the only problem I've had

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back