From Koni to bilstein. I've seen the light. Thanks vorshlag!

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Well. After two sets of Koni yellows that failed on me I decided to take Terry Fair's advice and give the vorshlag plate and bilstein combo a try. Wow is all I can say. Bumps that used to make me cringe are nothing now. And the roads by my house would put a Dakar rally stage to shame in some areas. The plates make no noise and are very nice. Much better than the ground control plates I was running. Handling seems to have been improved but I'll have to wait for the racing season to start to verify that. If you're on the fence about which strut/shock to buy I'd highly recommend giving vorshlag a call.

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
I made the same swap about a year ago before I went to coils, and can confirm it was a nice change. None of the bottoming on the Bilsteins I had with the Konis.

The Bilstein snapped a strut ear due to a bad weld, however, so keep an eye on those. Koni's welds are much beefier in that area.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I made the same swap about a year ago before I went to coils, and can confirm it was a nice change. None of the bottoming on the Bilsteins I had with the Konis.

The Bilstein snapped a strut ear due to a bad weld, however, so keep an eye on those. Koni's welds are much beefier in that area.

So you went from Koni Sports to Bilstein HD and then to KW V3(twin tube)?

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I bought the StreetPro set at the end of last year. Put them on around the middle of December, and been loving it ever since. Drove like rails at the last AutoX:

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
So you went from Koni Sports to Bilstein HD and then to KW V3(twin tube)?

Yep, AST was having troubles with supply at the time and didn't want to jump to a competition level like the MCS. In terms of feel/ride quality, the V3 is similar to the Bilsteins but has slightly better damping, especially because I can adjust it. With the Bilsteins, I always had a slight rear end jiggle on P springs that felt like a tad too little rebound.

Handling wise, they are better, but not worlds better. I just wish they made a damping-adjustable Bilstein. Since I track the car, being able to adjust compression and rebound is useful (and fun!). I'm not too picky about ride height, either. But I basically went with the KW because my Bilsteins broke and I liked them better than a GC/Cortex Koni setup being as I dd the car in winter.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
That's the only time I've ever heard of a Bilstein breaking.

So AST to KW? That's a jump...

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Thought I had read somewhere that Vorshlag was working on height adjustable Bilstein's ?

They are. I won't steal too much of Terry's thunder but I believe they did some testing in the past couple of weeks.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
They have been trying to get the PSS versions for a while now.

Looks like they might be taking a different route. Go like Vorshlag's facebook page and check out the pictures of the stuff they did with Jerry's car.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
Well. After two sets of Koni yellows that failed on me I decided to take Terry Fair's advice .....

C'mon bro, give credit where credit is due I'm pretty sure I helped you out on this one LOL!

Glad you like them! Im also glad that you are posting up your experience. So many Koni followers need to know that there is another no BS option out there.

We are working on a coilover version of this setup and we have tested, and I have driven the prototype set. It allows for height adjustment and proper springs. Great street characteristics and performed extremely well on the track due to the spring rates we could go with on this damper. Like csamsh said, check out our FB page and look for some photos we posted on Jerry Cecco's Boss 302

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1. I wish the Bilsteins werent so expensive. almost the price of coilovers.
2. I need to ride in a car with them.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
We are working on a coilover version of this setup and we have tested, and I have driven the prototype set. It allows for height adjustment and proper springs. Great street characteristics and performed extremely well on the track due to the spring rates we could go with on this damper. Like csamsh said, check out our FB page and look for some photos we posted on Jerry Cecco's Boss 302
I couldn't find anything on Mustang Bilsteins (Facebook sucks for this kind of stuff), but I did find these:
10968464_10155178819185113_942829358908740755_n.jpg
Those sure are purty.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Jew, the StreetPro is worlds better than stock, to me. I'm sure the coilover setup like csamsh has is better, but overall, I'm glad I spent the money on the StreetPro kit (don't have the coin for a coilover set yet).

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive had koni yellows, koni str.t, strange adj, and lakewoods and havent been happy yet. Actually the car rides better on the str.ts with steeda ultralite springs. I dont want to spend that kind of money and not be happy.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
C'mon bro, give credit where credit is due I'm pretty sure I helped you out on this one LOL!

Glad you like them! Im also glad that you are posting up your experience. So many Koni followers need to know that there is another no BS option out there.

You helped too. But you're a Patriots fan. You've had your happiness this week ;) thanks to you too beater!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back