Getting dyno tune for more boost.

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Hello,

This friday my car is going on the dyno for a tune and a smaller pulley. I am currently running a paxton 1200 SL non intercooled kit. 39lbs injectors. BAP. off road H pipe. Snow performance stage one meth injection kit with the 375ml/min nozzel.

My question is with the addition of the meth injection can I got to a smaller pulley? 3.48 or 3.33 pulley? What kind of IAT temps should raise alarms? How safe do you think this set up will be. Thank you so much for your help.

Kyle

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While you can probably get away with it, I wouldn't. The 1200 is already a small blower and not a fan of meth. Add an intercooler is my recommendation to keep it safe and reliable then drop a pulley size.

S

santi_bh88

get an intercooler yes or yes... Get an aftermarket one, they are cheap

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Water/Meth works well until it doesn't and then you loose an engine. I am not a fan of water/meth for that reason. I would add an intercooler before dropping a pulley size. If you are running a stock engine then you can only add so much power anyway. I wouldn't go over 475 rwhp with a stock engine, unless you are planing on a new engine anyway.

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. What kind of IAT are considered too high ?

gtman

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. What kind of IAT are considered too high ?

If not sure if you have an auto trans, but a few people had fitment problems when they bought the cx racing intercooler if you are already considering that route.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
For a centri or turbo 15-20 degrees above ambient imho.

I have zero experience with turbo's + centri's. What is the typ temp rise above ambient for a turbo / centri (pre-ic) ?

FRPP's whipple PD twin screw blower setup came in 3 x versions for the 05-10 cars. 400 hp, 5 psi non intercooled, and also 475 crank hp /9 psi..and also 550 hp /11 psi.....(last 2 both use an IC /HE). All 3 x versions use the same rotor pack...the 550 hp version uses a smaller pulley.

VMP installed a non intercooled version 2 years ago. Justin @ VMP noted that the damn thing got so hot without the IC / HE / pump / de-gas, that the boost actually started to increase ! Hot air expands, and in the NON IC case, it expanded so much that the boost started to increase. it all works, but... the timing just gets pulled, so you are back to square one.

Some centri's and turbo's use a IC / HE /pump setup...and some appear to use an air to air HE. How effective are the air to air types ?

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
When setup correctly the air to air centri's work great. I haven't had a datalog where the IATs are over the ambient air temp. But I have it in a location that gets plenty of air flow, and I spent the money to get a 1045 treadstone unit instead of an ebay cheapo.

The benefit of the air to water setups is that you can run an icebox and have below ambient IATs for a short period of time.

Pre-intercooler temps depend on where you are on the units compressor map and underhood temps.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back