Im building a rear seat delete, pics and specs included

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
So, I want to build a specific rear seat delete and customize it my liking, you guys will see at the end what Im finishing it with, its pretty cool. for now i just built the wood part of the bottom. and yes its 1/2 plywood, I want it pretty stong, weight is not an issue to me.

so look at the pic below to get an idea of how its starting. this pic has all the dimensions.
top.jpg

I put the small 4 pieces of wood on the back and notched them to fit in the 4 spots for the baby seats in the back. i built them 5 3/8" and the seem to have made the seat pretty level all around. note* im planning on reenforcing them a bit, they are pretty stong now but not up to my standard. pic below:

back.jpg

and you dont have to drill the hole i was just using it for reference as i was building it.

this is just it in the car, it doesnt move and feel pretty solid.

SS100571.jpg

More pics to come, i have a lot of work to do, i will post as i build so you guys can see it. it will have fabric covering it with foam and Im planning on putting a light up "ford racing" sign in the back part that lights up with the dome lights. i may get done by the weekend but im not sure. stay tuned...

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I like to see a DIY x-brace or one close to the FRPP one with the delete.

dave870

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this as i will be starting my own soon on my 2008 shelby GT convertible So keep the pics coming:helpme:.P.S LOVE the VISTA BLUE Tks dave

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
a 1/2"x4'x8' sheet of OSB (which is what that is), weighs approx. 52-53 lbs.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly he is doing a rear seat delete which is supposed to be to save weight but then said weight isnt a factor.... I agree this will be adding quite a bit of weight. The rear seat bottoms weight like 8lbs and the back tops are like 4 lbs.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Okay that was what I was thinking as well but I was wondering if you guys all knew something I didn't LOL.

I could see deleting the seat with something really sturdy if I was adding in an amp rack and subwoofers.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone is correct this is heavier then the rear seats, only by about 10lbs i would say, but im not going for weight im going for looks so it doesnt concern me much, plus I can just take the kit out when I go race.

OK, I have gotten the bottom almost done, here is the progress:

1" of foam cut a about 1/2" bigger:

SS100572.jpg

Laying the fabric out, I did 2 layers to make it a little stronger and to not see any white from the foam:

SS100573.jpg

next I started to attached the fabric, I rolled the slack a few times so the screw was going through like 6-8 layers of cloth to avoid it taring.

SS100574.jpg

almost done, it was late last night when i got to here, so I will work on it today, over all I have about 30 or more large head 1/4" screws in it now. I still need to pull a few edges tight and secure them:

SS100575.jpg

more to come today or tomorrow.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
OK bottom is done, just finished it up, i think it turned out really well. the first pic shows the bottom next is it in the car.

SS100577.jpg

SS100578.jpg

I have started on the back already but i will do the pictures in order. the back in going to take a few weeks to get done %100 but i will update as i go.

dave870

Reaction score
Iam wanting to do mine for looks also with shelby snake emborderd on back.I was wondering how you are going to mount the bottom or did i miss something.Also is it possible to bring all the way out past the bottom plastic pieces tks for any help dave

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
look at the second picture in the first post, those 5 3/8" pegs sit in the 4 spots to mount the baby seat, it holds very stable. and yes you can make it go all the way to the arm rest console if you want, all you would have to do is add 2-3" inches.

dave870

Reaction score
I see what your saying but i think i want something in the front holding them down i seen somewhere they had hood pins holding the front of the rear seat delete down. it looked pretty cool but anyway thanks for the pics and info dave

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back