Im building a rear seat delete, pics and specs included

ModTechRacing

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good but how come you didn't go with the same type of carpet that's in the car?

pmcferron

forum member
Reaction score
i mean if you like it, thats great. but it seems to me you just took out factory seats and made a rear bench seat...:2cents:

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
yeah kinda just a bench but no one will sit on it.

so today I started working a little more on the back part. the first picture is of the FORD RACING sign and the plexiglass, right now im just making templets for everything. its would be kinda hard to explain it all out, i will just take pictures as i go.

SS100579.jpg

this is the back cut out. i think it needs a little tweeking to get it 100%, but for now the size is top: 41 5/8", bottom 44 1/2", height 21 3/8"

SS100580.jpg

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Ok made some good progress today, I mostly worked on the "ford racing" sign, the top part is already done so I placed it on some 3/4" wood to draw the edges....

SS100581.jpg

next I did some tests on a strip of plexiglass to see how the paint looks on them, one side of the plexiglass has been scuffed up with 220 grit to give it a bit of frost look. when the blue dried later that day I brought it inside and turned off the lights and used an LED flashlight behind it and it looked pretty good. when Im all done I will have LEDs all around the inter edge to light up the plexiglass, it should be pretty bright (i hope)

SS100582.jpg

templete is done and ready to cut,
SS100583.jpg

done using the plunging router....
SS100584.jpg

Now i have to route a little shelf on the inter rectangles for the plexi glass to sit on, I had to do this for a while to get the depth just right.

SS100585.jpg

once I got it right and all sanded down pretty well the plexiglass fit right in, it still has the blue coating on it right now, it is not painted yet. this will be glued in also at the end.
SS100586.jpg

threw some holes in the corners and counter sunk them for the bolts.

SS100587.jpg

last thing I did was put the first coat of spray paint on the plexiglass. im using testors model paint. after tests I find that two coats will be good to still look solid when the LEDs are not lit up but when they are lit up the light will still come through well.i will do some tests towards the end when everything is set up.

SS100588.jpg

tonight I will finish the painting up then tomorrow i think im going to set up the back part a little more. I can do much on the sign until I buy a strip of LEDs.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah Im going to make a shout out to Season 3 of Ancient Aliens for keeping me company all day, haha.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
ok today i painted the lightbox and just fitted a few things.

just painted the edges, its the only thing that will be seen but just a little will be. started with primer

SS100593.jpg

then 3 coats of black.
SS100594.jpg

I also added strong 65lb magnets for the back, these will connect to the open metal spots where the seat latches used to be.

SS100592.jpg

im going to get LEDs this week and some wiring, once i do i think i will just have to put it all together and it will be done.

Cuttinh

forum member
Reaction score
Nice airborne! Keeping in mind you have all of the dimensions, those worried about weight can use whatever material they like in place of the plywood.

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
this is really cool. ive wanted to do this except put some speakers and a sub or 2 and have it fiberglassed and painted.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
thanks guys, I ordered LEDs yesterday, hope them come in for the weekend then i should be all done maybe by sunday afternoon.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I keep reading "baby seat"...are you seriously going to strap your kid's seat to that?

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
interested to see how this turns out.

met a guy at a show that had something similar designed, but had storage spaces built in, held them closed with hood pins, and had an extra rim (like wheels) mounted in as well. Looked amazing

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
not done yet, work and the weekend was a little too busy, maybe by the end of this week.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back