Let's Build A Killer Track Car!!!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Oh ok, I wasn't certain if it was a combination of things or if it was just the efficient oil cooler.

The biggest issue I see with oil coolers is that they are just mounted in front of the rad and run. Most of the air will go around them because of path of least resistance. I'm going to "fence" the oil cooler up to the lower grill opening so the air is forced though the cooler. I've never done this on a oil cooler, but I have on water coolers and seen a 25% decease in water temps. That's a HUGE difference.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
That was my plan as well. I took some measurements of the lower grill opening and the Setrab 172 would fit very nicely due to it's slim size compared to their 6 or 9 series oil coolers. I would just have to create a mounting system and mount it something like an 1.5" away from the radiator.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
That was my plan as well. I took some measurements of the lower grill opening and the Setrab 172 would fit very nicely due to it's slim size compared to their 6 or 9 series oil coolers. I would just have to create a mounting system and mount it something like an 1.5" away from the radiator.

Why not up next to the A/C condenser (or rad). Just curious.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Tell me about it.............. I need to knock some bucks out of this build.

The Setrab I was looking at was quite a bit bigger than that (the ones on the race cars are HUGE!!!). The 82500 is 14x7.75". I just poked around on Summit and found a 14x13" (#84200ERL) for $336. About $90 more than the part number you had. But maybe worth it. From what I have gotten out of Rehagen and SVT there is no keeping them too cool. They like to shed some heat!!!

Thanks!
14x7.75 because I'm placing it in the lower Boss facia opening instead of behind the bumper, but yeah as big as you want to go.

That was my plan as well. I took some measurements of the lower grill opening and the Setrab 172 would fit very nicely due to it's slim size compared to their 6 or 9 series oil coolers.

Yup, that's what I was looking at before leaning towards an Earls. However I'm just doing a lot of HPDE on a daily driver, so I'm not going all out.
High pressure areas yield dividends vs only trying for a large size.

There's a very long Boss 302 thread on SVT about oil cooling results. And with the same traditional mounting position guys buying Setrab's 1 or 2 model bigger in rows were getting nearly the same oil temps. Everyone was peaking around the same when track ambient temps were in the 90's.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
14x7.75 because I'm placing it in the lower Boss facia opening instead of behind the bumper, but yeah as big as you want to go.
Gotcha. I wasn't factoring that.

Yup, that's what I was looking at before leaning towards an Earls. However I'm just doing a lot of HPDE on a daily driver, so I'm not going all out.
High pressure areas yield dividends vs only trying for a large size.

There's a very long Boss 302 thread on SVT about oil cooling results. And with the same traditional mounting position guys buying Setrab's 1 or 2 model bigger in rows were getting nearly the same oil temps. Everyone was peaking around the same when track ambient temps were in the 90's.

We're any of the results on bigger coolers ones that were fenced in? I'm speculating, maybe incorrectly that they weren't. Fencing the bigger coolers in will change the results significantly.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

We're any of the results on bigger coolers ones that were fenced in? I'm speculating, maybe incorrectly that they weren't. Fencing the bigger coolers in will change the results significantly.

Setrab specs a min speed the car is traveling at..when they quote those btu figures. FRPP also makes a cooler..but it doesn't have a T stat.
The setrabs are unique in that u can get them in various length to height ratio's. Plus various thickness cores. If u look carefully, u will find one that will fit, depending on location you choose. At least you won't have a huge 13/14 GT-500 HE to contend with.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Why not up next to the A/C condenser (or rad). Just curious.

I will have to poke around and see if I can find the reason. I thought it had something to do with air passing around the cooler but I am not certain about that.

Setrab specs a min speed the car is traveling at..when they quote those btu figures. FRPP also makes a cooler..but it doesn't have a T stat.
The setrabs are unique in that u can get them in various length to height ratio's. Plus various thickness cores. If u look carefully, u will find one that will fit, depending on location you choose. At least you won't have a huge 13/14 GT-500 HE to contend with.

The Ford Racing kit uses the Setrab 913 oil cooler on their kit in series with the factory oil cooler which is why it doesn't have a thermostat.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score

To my memory none of them were using fencing, which lends to me high pressure theory if you're not routing air: Adding size alone has diminishing returns when it's stuck on a radiator behind a bumper.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
To my memory none of them were using fencing, which lends to me high pressure theory if you're not routing air: Adding size alone has diminishing returns when it's stuck on a radiator behind a bumper.

I found this to be true with HE's.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

Do you remember who might have posted in the thread or maybe a keyword in there? I tried looking, but couldn't find it in the Boss section or the 11-14 GT section.

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Do you remember who might have posted in the thread or maybe a keyword in there? I tried looking, but couldn't find it in the Boss section or the 11-14 GT section.

I want to say it was SVTP, but it may have just been a thread on SVTP linking to a thread elsewhere that was 10+ pages of people listing oil temepratures with setrab coolers on their Boss 302's.

I posted in the SVTP thread, but my post history isnt going back that far to show me where.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The Ford Racing kit uses the Setrab 913 oil cooler on their kit in series with the factory oil cooler which is why it doesn't have a thermostat.

Does the ford 'oil cooler' have a T stat internal to it ?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmm. T stat. I wonder if I really need to worry about one??????

All the motorcycles and race bikes don't have them. And I've raced them/run them when it's 30deg out (yeah, racing when it's 30 SUCKS!!). I didn't have to warm them up excessively or anything.

I know hoe to do a T stat and I even know what I would use (Canton). But I don't want to buy, mount and plumb one unless I really need it.

What are your thoughts guys?

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmmm. T stat. I wonder if I really need to worry about one??????

All the motorcycles and race bikes don't have them. And I've raced them/run them when it's 30deg out (yeah, racing when it's 30 SUCKS!!). I didn't have to warm them up excessively or anything.

I know hoe to do a T stat and I even know what I would use (Canton). But I don't want to buy, mount and plumb one unless I really need it.

What are your thoughts guys?

No offense intended, but stop comparing everything to motorcycles. If you want to race motorcycles and use your experience from doing so, do so.

Use a T-stat. Mocal is US made, 180-200 degree and requires no plumbing:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/13462/Mocal_Sandwich_Plate

Requires two BSP fittings.

No sense trying to cool cold oil, especially when our engines require a certain oil temperature before VVT even starts working.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Oil coolers were all the rage over on the AC Cobra forum a few years back. Nobody was using T stats....and oil temps were getting way too low...like 160 F.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back