Shocks, struts and alignment?

SSStang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok So I just lowered my car with P springs a few weeks ago and got a wheel alignment. Then I got a great deal on a set on Koni orange 2011-2014. So I was planning on putting the rear shocks on soon and then later add the fronts.
Is that alright to run the koni rear shocks with the stock fronts?
When I get around to changing the front struts will I need another alignment?

claudermilk

Reaction score
Any time you take the front suspension apart, you should get an alignment.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok So I just lowered my car with P springs a few weeks ago and got a wheel alignment. Then I got a great deal on a set on Koni orange 2011-2014. So I was planning on putting the rear shocks on soon and then later add the fronts.
Is that alright to run the koni rear shocks with the stock fronts?
When I get around to changing the front struts will I need another alignment?

Me too!

I put the rears on then a couple weeks later did the front. No issues at all. You don't really get a feeling for how much better these are than stock until you do the front.

I wouldn't think the alignment should change much if any. Only thing that could be adjusted anyway is the toe which shouldn't change with a strut swap. Assuming you have stock strut mounts and no camber bolts.

SSStang

forum member
Reaction score
Me too!

I put the rears on then a couple weeks later did the front. No issues at all. You don't really get a feeling for how much better these are than stock until you do the front.

I wouldn't think the alignment should change much if any. Only thing that could be adjusted anyway is the toe which shouldn't change with a strut swap. Assuming you have stock strut mounts and no camber bolts.

Yes I'm using the stock mounts and no camber bolts.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Seriously?

You need to get an alignment any time you remove the front struts or mounts.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive had one alignment and I have been through a few sets of struts lol. My car was perfect with the trick!

2011/5.0

Reaction score
I used the trick. But was out did get in factory specs with no plates or camber bolts. So thats a win

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The trick is to turn the strut mount 180 degrees so that the arrow is pointing in to the engine. Factory has it pointing out. 99.9% of the time it keeps you within factory specs. No need for an alignment.

DGRacing

Reaction score
The trick is to turn the strut mount 180 degrees so that the arrow is pointing in to the engine. Factory has it pointing out. 99.9% of the time it keeps you within factory specs. No need for an alignment.

This is crazy talk. What's the big deal. When you alter suspension parts, alignments are needed. Tricks are for kids.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You might want to know what you are talking about before running your mouth. You are the type of person that would use camber bolts huh?

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest I think you are crazy with your "trick". For optimal suspension performance you need to set toe, camber and sometimes castor (not really applicable to mustangs). You can eye ball it sure but your settings won't be on or probably even close. Alignment, in my mind, is #1 for suspension performance. i would at the very least take a tape measure set toe and also set camber. An alignment at most run of the mill places are what 75 bucks? A tire is what a minimum of 200. If you are putzing around getting groceries its one thing if you want optimal corner carving abilities get the alignment

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Not to mention most places will do lifetime alignments for like $100...at the very least, just get it checked.

Last edited:

SSStang

forum member
Reaction score
Not to mention most places will do lifetime alignments for like $100...
I'll have to take advantage of this once I get back to the states!
I'm gonna just install all the shocks and struts at once and get another alignment to make sure I'm not eating up tires and to get the best performance out of what I have. It cost 55 euro (about $77) for a alignment I'll ask them about a lifetime deal or they may cut me a deal since the guy that did the alignment was grinning ear to ear when he drove it around front of the shop.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Uhh what are they going to align? our shit is almost un-adjustable.
I put my STR-T's on and never got an alignment, that was over a year ago haven't notice anything weird with the steering or abnormal tire wear.
No wobbling, tracks straight etc... I just can't wrap my head around what they would adjust besides toe.

Maybe they can adjust the toe but that is about it, the space for the top strut bolts it's like 3mm in either direction which is pretty much nothing at the tire.
I used an angle finder and both wheels were +/- 0.2 off each other after I was done, yet still can't do anything about that with the stock setup.

Last edited:

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Uhh what are they going to align? our shit is almost un-adjustable.
I put my STR-T's on and never got an alignment, that was over a year ago haven't notice anything weird with the steering or abnormal tire wear.
No wobbling, tracks straight etc... I just can't wrap my head around what they would adjust besides toe.

Maybe they can adjust the toe but that is about it, the space for the top strut bolts it's like 3mm in either direction which is pretty much nothing at the tire.
I used an angle finder and both wheels were +/- 0.2 off each other after I was done, yet still can't do anything about that with the stock setup.

Exactly what I was thinking.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Frankie thats why they should know what they are talking about. The trick is a known solution. Not everyone wants or needs to run camber plates. If you want to take a chance with camber bolts go ahead, its not my car or life. My car is in perfect alignment verified through the free alignment check at my local Firestone. There have been several people who have done this and well with a search this information could be found on this forum. But hey when you get an alignment and they recommend camber plates or bolts dont be surprised. I mean its only money.....money that could have went to other mods.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Mine was out after lowering and rotating strut mounts but keep in mind i also changed kmember and aarm to bmr tube for weight reductions

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back