sportinawoody is sportinablown motor is sportin a new build thread

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know the same day I got the title in the mail, I had the usual broken rod syndrome causing air conditioning of the block. Anyhow, I was on a stock engine at 69k with full exhaust with L/T's, comp 127300's with springs, whipple at 11 psi and 10 rib, and 62mm bbk t/b all for 30k or so. My fault really as I turned this motor 6500 when told not to from day 1 for 2 years and for the last year or so I got burnout happy just showing my ass. Build is getting closer to completion finally so here's what's going on.

04 mach1 aluminum block
3.750" stroke Kellogg crank
oliver 5.850" rods
diamond 17cc pistons
totalseal ap rings with stainless top ring
clevite bearings
all arp short main studs, head studs, side bolts, crank bolt flywheel bolts
all the machining to complement including line boring, torque plate honing and filing rings with torque plates bolted down,threading oil galleys, but just surfaced block and not zeroing the deck
gt500 pump with TSS gears
13-14 gt500 8.5 quart pan with scraper/gasket and pick up

new frpp timing set
new frpp lash adjuster and rocker set
unshrouded intake valves courtesy of my own skills
Viton valve stem seals
checked spring pressures on comp 26113 springs-all checked perfect
3 angle valve job, refaced valves and replaced some bent valves
comp limiters
keeping the 127300's as the driveability is awesome unless I find some 350's cheap

ditching the bbk 62mm in favor of hopefully finding an l&m 62mm
ID1000's injectors
sent the whipple to whipple and had blower inspected and rebuilt along with 10 rib snout which received updated parts. Currently back in route to my house :clap:
18lb lower pulley for 10 rib
jpc elbow along with 5" maf housing and tube and vmp maf meter.
think I'm going to keep the whipple elbow and just run the bigger tube and maf housing and see what happens.
also using my custom 2 3/4 gallon hidden H/E tank that mounts behind the fender and going to enlarge the hoses and fittings to the blower intercooler
also, debating 100-150 shot for the limited track days it will see.
Other small stuff is motor mounts, clutch, bulk of frpp oil filters, fluids etc..

I know some will think this is a little overkill for the little jr. 2.3 TS but my plan is to heal my raped wallet for a year, get the heads ported next winter, bigger better valves, sell the whipple and cams, go turbo and give this engine what it craves. I have an issue to deal with regarding my oliver rods with oliver and then the assembly will start as all the parts are bought and sitting on my build table. Don't ask how much $$$, I haven't tallied yet but those that have ventured this road have an excellent idea of how much $$$ and for those planning to do this, my best piece of advice,,, set a spending limit in advance and don't " wing it ". You will blow thru soooo much money soooo fast it will make your head spin and may make some wind up in divorce court LOL ! I may ad pictures later as I find time

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Without looking at the Calc, isn't the cr going to be high 8s? If you haven't already purchased those 17cc pistons you may want to reconsider. Looks like an awesome build and I know all about the raped wallet right now.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Without looking at the Calc, isn't the cr going to be high 8s? If you haven't already purchased those 17cc pistons you may want to reconsider. Looks like an awesome build and I know all about the raped wallet right now.
after cc'ing the heads and doing all the math and with the pistons down in the hole it comes out a little over 9:1. 17cc with a stock stroke would definitely put me down in the 8's but I'm leaving room for future upgrades to volume and boost and I wanted to be a little safe as the gas around here is all ethanol littered which doesn't work well with high boost and high compression and lots of timing.
also the heads were shaved to bring my cc's back down to 48/49

Last edited:

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
stroke changes everything on dish volume, the same cc for a stock stroke is totally different for a longer stroke in regards to compression. edit : I just reran the numbers for 3.75 stroke and 5.850 rods and it was 9.1:1 on diamonds calculator and just changed the stroke and rod length for stock and it came down to 8.68:1 . that was using all my other dimensions as measured, i.e, gasket hole, gasket crush, deck height, piston down, ring land depth, etc,,, their calculator is a little more in depth than the typical internet calc's so you can't use the same cc's for your app as mine

Last edited:

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I'll make this easier for you. What they are saying is, anything under stock compression is retarded. It will be more efficient with as much compression as you can safely get.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Retarded ? You obviously need to go do a little research and learn a little more about timing, vs boost vs ethanol based gas ( which I will be forced to run periodically ) and the relation to combustion and cylinder temperatures. I personally want the safety net as my future plans call for twin 60's along with a few other mods to support. I appreciate your interest but I don't need or want your ignorant comments in my build thread so please go enjoy your 6psi and have a nice day !

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Retarded ? You obviously need to go do a little research and learn a little more about timing, vs boost vs ethanol based gas ( which I will be forced to run periodically ) and the relation to combustion and cylinder temperatures. I personally want the safety net as my future plans call for twin 60's along with a few other mods to support. I appreciate your interest but I don't need or want your ignorant comments in my build thread so please go enjoy your 6psi and have a nice day !

Yea your right. That is why there are literally 10 builds going on right now with all 10 being over 12# and over 10.5:1 running on 91-e85. I'm sorry it took an "ignorant" comment for you to understand that >9.8:1 is retarded even with 93 with ethanol. Maybe you should go read up on e10 vs straight 93...I will enjoy running 9# and making more power than you with a better curve. Have a nice day.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I was just making a suggestion. Kevin McD (tuner from JPC) put a 3v in his fox. He ran the stock block with twins for a while. He then build the engine(I'm assuming a pretty smart guy) and he used diamond flat tops. Although, I'm pretty sure his build consisted of e85. If you run high(er) cr, you aren't going to go any higher than about 650-700 on any type of pump no matter how littler or high your cr is. I'm just trying to help, obviously you've thought a lot about this build and it sounds like a great one.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think its a good choice for a high power/boost pump gas setup that sees street use. 9:1 compresion will be nice and safe while still easily making power. It's a boosted setup. He's not trying to eek out every last ounce of power here. Everyone has a different goal for their build.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
I think its a good choice for a high power/boost pump gas setup that sees street use. 9:1 compresion will be nice and safe while still easily making power. It's a boosted setup. He's not trying to eek out every last ounce of power here. Everyone has a different goal for their build.

Has nothing to do with eeking out power. BruceH ran 15+# on 91 with 11:1. Zero reason not to take advantage of the extra power.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I was just making a suggestion. Kevin McD (tuner from JPC) put a 3v in his fox. He ran the stock block with twins for a while. He then build the engine(I'm assuming a pretty smart guy) and he used diamond flat tops. Although, I'm pretty sure his build consisted of e85. If you run high(er) cr, you aren't going to go any higher than about 650-700 on any type of pump no matter how littler or high your cr is. I'm just trying to help, obviously you've thought a lot about this build and it sounds like a great one.
nah I appreciate the input from those who can conversate without throwing rocks like some of the assholes on this board. but after talking with the owner of l&m ( of which who built your gracious moderator stkjock's motor )and my tuner Aaron of Trudynosports , It was chosen to go with this CR for what the car will mostly see. I'm only looking at around 650 for now with the whipple on pump but there are future plans that I am preparing for also when Ive got another 5-7k to burn.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with eeking out power. BruceH ran 15+# on 91 with 11:1. Zero reason not to take advantage of the extra power.

Actually I ran 17 with a whipple on 92 but the motor had 9.4 compression.

I've also run higher boost with 11:1 on 92 but really dropped the spark advance to 15 degrees for safety.

If his plan is to run ethanol free gas then lower compression is a good idea. The 10% of ethanol in e10 does cool the combustion chamber and help prevent detonation imo. Also imo e10 is why we can run higher compression with boost. Ethanol free gas will have mbte for an oxidizer. MTBE isn't going to help with detonation.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

He also runs e85, and ran lower timing on his gas tune, making it plenty safe. What makes one guys setup applicable to everyone else?

The op is looking to make big power on pump gas and do so safely.

There are lots of reasons, higher compression is not the only way to make more power, there are pros and cons to everything, ptv clearance, cylinder temps and pressure, increased risk of detonation would be a few.

You want to get a little power back? Then run another lb of boost or a degree or two of timing. More than one way to skin a cat.

I planned to push 800rwhp on pump 93 with my setup. That plan on my build included a 9.1:1 compression motor. Something, I wouldnt try on a higher compresion build and pump gas.

Last edited:

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Who is doing the build for you?
I'm essentially doing the blueprinting/building myself as I am equipped but kevin bush is doing all the machining clemmons speed is doing the balancing and S&M performance did the heads once I unshrouded the valves. sounds like a bunch of head ache but bush and clemmons speed actually share work loads between the 2 shops.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back