Your cooling mods and results?

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
WATER WETTER IS SOAP !!!! AGAIN,,,WATER WETTER IS SOAP !!! You want the real deal for dropping coolant temps without putting this junk in your system, go with Pro-Blend's -40 below. I ran that shit in my air to water intercooler and had dish suds within seconds of the pump turning on. After talking with a cup car engineer, he explained the difference and why nhra, nascar,f1 , etc, all use problends stuff so I went that way and runs slightly cooler without the suds.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
WATER WETTER IS SOAP !!!! AGAIN,,,WATER WETTER IS SOAP !!! You want the real deal for dropping coolant temps without putting this junk in your system, go with Pro-Blend's -40 below. I ran that shit in my air to water intercooler and had dish suds within seconds of the pump turning on. After talking with a cup car engineer, he explained the difference and why nhra, nascar,f1 , etc, all use problends stuff so I went that way and runs slightly cooler without the suds.

Yep.

Basically all any of those adders do is reduce the surface adherence of water.

For instance, if you put water in a graduated cylinder, you'll notice that it's higher around the edge of the cylinder than in the middle. This shows how water does a better job of sticking to other things than itself.

Add a little water wetter or something like that, and the water stops bonding to other objects so well, meaning it flows better.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

If you got suds, you used way too much. I use a 1/2 a container of redline water wetter in the IC-HE loop. But I use a full container of it in the eng rad. Any of this stuff will work better if used with higher concentrations of distilled water and less glycol.

Pro-Blends site looks very interesting..esp their eng oil additives, ATF additives etc. Their claims are pretty wild. I see on our local go-kart tracks, they banned the use of their goop used on tires....used to decrease lap times.

http://pro-blend.com/collections/all

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Water Wetter and 40 Below are both Surfactants. They reduce the surface tension of water, meaning that if the water does manage to boil, the bubbles are much smaller, reducing the possibility of air getting trapped in the system.

I've never had a problem using Water Wetter (though I've not used it in my Mustang). Guess what? 40 Below is the SAME FREAKING THING.

MadBee93

Reaction score
To add another data point to this discussion. I took my car (2006 GT) bone stock engine with a 93 oct. tune to the track (85F temp that day), and it would overheat after about 8 laps. The OEM temp gauge on the dash would climb into the red (230-240?). If I turned the heat on I could get a few more laps, but it will still overheat before the end of a long session. The 93 oct. tune might of been part of the problem, I should of done a session on a lower octane tune to test. Taking a single lap slowly would bring the temp right back down, but I want to fix the problem because slowing down is no fun. :)

The other guys having overheating problems with OEM engines are also using non OEM tunes?

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Guess what? 40 Below is the SAME FREAKING THING.

pardon me for not taking this portion of your opinion seriously but i'll believe an engineer and my personal experience between WW and -40 below over your "unsubstantiated hypothesis" ! i used 1/2 bottle of watter wetter mixed with 3.2 gallons of distilled leblue water in my intercooler and had suds brewing immediately. when drained and refilled with the distilled water, i had suds from remnants in the intercooler and the 40 below actually reacted to the suds and killed them almost immediately. both items may serve the same purpose but they are not the same thing. there is a reason all these sanctioned racing organizations go with this specific brand in all their additives and not just 40 below. I know for fact that joe gibbs oil uses the same zinc blends in their oils when they have them processed that problend sells. Use WW if you want. Thats your choice, but don't mislead people by speaking out your ass about something you haven't researched fully

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
there is a reason all these sanctioned racing organizations go with this specific brand in all their additives and not just 40 below.

NASA CCR 2014 said:
15.18 Engine Coolant
Glycol-based antifreeze and other additives that may cause a slippery condition if spilled on track are prohibited. Other water additives such as Redline Water Wetter may be used.

... but don't mislead people by speaking out your ass about something you haven't researched fully
Oops.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gee, I thought pro race teams only used 40 Below and that Water Wetter was just soap. Isn't soap supposed to be slippery? :roflmao:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
What the fuck happened on this page? :rofl:

Anyways I run straight distilled water + TWO BOTTLES of Water Wetter.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
. I see on our local go-kart tracks, they banned the use of their goop used on tires....used to decrease lap times.
we just treated a stock set of 18" tires on gt500 rims and placed on Dallas' car at 750 rwhp and I was blown away that at that power level with those little ass tires on the street, he could hook the car stabbing the throttle in 2nd gear. never tried in 1st because we all know that is useless with a six speed magnum but that tire treatment is the shit. I never would've believed it had I not went for the ride along.
sorry to hijack your thread, what was the topic again ?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
blah blah blah... on the street, he could hook the car stabbing the throttle in 2nd gear. blah blah blah

Oh, boy, here we go again... Somebody else want to take point on this before Barbaro comes in and gets all righteous on my ass again? :roflmao:

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
please by all means, put your own work in. I mean unless you need a babysitter. I dunno what I'm getting blasted for so fire away. I like to earn it honestly

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
plainly stated, WW is soap, 40 below isn't, take it or leave it. thats a fact. so road course guys run it, cup cars run problend, nhra runs both, big deal. like I said earlier, it's a matter of what each individual wants. Besides, we all know that road course racing is where all the big $$$ is :roflmao:

I give, I can't compete with the world renowned almighty road racer extra-ordinaire sound guy. I will humbly bow out and let the know-it-all steer everyone in the only direction he sees fit because the rest are dumb sheep. unsubbing' as there is no conversation here with smart ass'.

Last edited:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
This is the corner carvers section we like data more than "I saw" "I felt" "I read" and "I heard" That may make us nerds and no fun at partys but bullshit doesn't get very far here. (search barbaro, torque arm, saw Jesus)

So unless you got back to back 60 ft times with the magic snake oil on the tires and are willing to impart the information the cup engineer gave you regarding cooling system additives no one here will believe much of what you say. It's not that we think you're a bad guy, just your posts aren't bringing any tech.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, ok then. Forgot I was in tech section for a moment. My apologies.

for the tech : just a FYI, you can't mix 40 below with other additives. you will see cooler temps than with WW My I/C temps monday in 92 degree ambient showed 103-105 average cruising around town with my whipple at 16 lbs which last year at 10.5 lbs around 90-95 degrees my iat's read a constant 111-118 in the same conditions with distilled water and WW. just my experience with it. don't spill it on your painted surface either if you like your paint job

Last edited:

2013kAB

forum member
Reaction score
great caesar's ghost!

this was another concern of mine from this crappy weekend cut-short shit-bag i-learn-the-hard-way-and-pay-for-it track day.

up the hill and down the front strait at road america i noticed my oil temp e-gauge was in the yellow almost red and stayed there until i backed off after turn five for the rest of the lap. then it retreated only into the green slightly.

so is a better radiator going to help with that or not?

so something like this will NOT help either.
M-6642-MB_03.jpg

2013kAB

forum member
Reaction score
What temperature is yellow almost red?

im searching to try and figure that out. there might be some way i can get that temp by using computer tech connected to my cars odbii port otherwise i might habe to install some type of device that will display this information while driving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

claudermilk

Reaction score
I would love to be able to find how to monitor oil temp via OBD II. I've been playing with Torque Pro and the Scantool MX reader dongle. So far I have not found a PID that gives data on oil temps.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back