08 4.6 Misfires

Zoso

Reaction score
A check engine code has started to show up on a 2008 Shelby GT. The cars has Ford hot rod cams and Kook's long tube headers and cats. There is also has a tune.

Last year, the car threw a code for cylinder misfire. Finally trace to a bad plug ( ??? car only has 18k ) So, the plug solved the problem for a while - now I'm getting new misfire codes.

I plan to replace all the plugs shortly - question is why are plugs good for 100k failing at 18k.

I've been told it could be a car computer problem and the coil packs.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You cannot expect plugs to last for 100K on a modified engine. (that is never driven hard? lol)
Cams + long tubes and who tuned it?
You may not actually have a misfire, but the pcm thinks there is a misfire due to the cams. Just a guess here.

Basics first: Compression test.
Post pics of ALL the spark plugs, that may help point you in the right direction.

Aussie-Parnelli

Reaction score
Hi
I just found the cause to my misfires on my highly modified '06
I replaced the plugs and coils only for the miss to return
It ended up being the COP wire connectors
Seems to be fine now and was an easy fix

Zoso

Reaction score
I driven the car recently - no misfires - no codes - so far....

The car was tuned by Mo's Speed Shop outside Atlanta.

I hear you about the modified engine's SP's not lasting - could be a factor - pics of the old plugs is a good suggestion. The car has had the cams for a long time (years) no issue - Headers and tune are newer mods - 1 year.

I will remember that cop connection as possible issue.

One other thing someone mentioned was - that the car cpu is over-driving - sending a high voltage - to the cop's causing a misfire. $600 for a used cpu.

Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back