08 GT just replaced all rotors and brakes and now this....

xXViSXx

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks in advance to all who lend advice, so I just replaced all my rotors to drilled and slotted with carbon ceramic brake pads all purchased from American muscle, now everything went in fine, cleaned rotors before installation even replaced my rear calipers as one did not want to turn in all the way to compress, well after I got everything installed and bled all the way around I took it for a short forward and reverse just to make sure everything feels alright and pedal didnt slowly keep depressing or anything like that, so I took it around the block a couple times and did traditional quick stops not slamming brack to see how it feels and still so far okay, so I head back home and as I was slowly coming to a stop I heard what I would call shudder but I know it's not the right word but it sounds like a loud humming kinda like old drum noise and it sounds like it's coming from the front, any ideas?

Thanks
John

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
First, when replacing pads or rotors or both you should bed the brakes. Do a search for the process. The noise could be one of the pad slider clips or something else that didn't get put back just right and shifted once you did a little exercising of the brakes. Pull the wheel off, rotate the rotor and see if you can hear or see anything.

xXViSXx

Reaction score
First, when replacing pads or rotors or both you should bed the brakes. Do a search for the process. The noise could be one of the pad slider clips or something else that didn't get put back just right and shifted once you did a little exercising of the brakes. Pull the wheel off, rotate the rotor and see if you can hear or see anything.

Ty I have looked at bedding procedures and will give it a go tomorrow but will pull the wheel and inspect to make sure all slider clips are in place thanks.

xeninworx

Reaction score
I’ve never had slotted and drilled rotors but wouldn’t that cause the humming?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I’ve never had slotted and drilled rotors but wouldn’t that cause the humming?
Some slotted, drilled, dimpled rotors can cause noise as the air gets trapped and released but I don't think that's what he is describing. That noise is more like a quick buzzing and I can sometimes hear it if I'm right next to a wall or something. Almost like a faint bee buzz

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is too basic, but did you pump the brakes 10 times or so before test driving? I wouldn't move a car without the pumping.
The next thing I would do is raise the front end and rotate the wheels by hand to see if the problem is both wheels or only one. Once you have it narrowed down, see if the noise is at any particular area on the rotor.
I've had a hardware clip drag on a rotor, and it did make noise. Fix was pretty easy.

46addict

Reaction score
Some ceramic pads are more prone to making noise than OE replacement pads. If there is no vibration while braking or a spongy pedal, it's nothing to worry about.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Possible front wheel bearing?
Does the sound change if.you turn or weave side-to-side?

Bderrick

Reaction score
I have one of the front pad springs break and that lead to a weird groan/shutter noise when braking.

xXViSXx

Reaction score
Thank you all for your helpful input and have gone through each recommendation and looks like all is good now, Seems as bedding was the solution as I have checked everything from all clips to brake calipers and all checked out properly, thanks again I do appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back