09 GT blown head gasket?

VistaBlue09GT

Reaction score
Alright folks not really sure what to do here I'm really only a glorified parts changer when it comes to mechanics. Been doing some work on the car here lately getting the tune dialed in had ran into a few issues along the way. During this process I've had the manifold off an when looking down into the intake on top of the valves I had what looked like oil blow by very little with a little condensation (weather here lately has been jumping from like 30 degrees to 60 degrees raining on and off) kindof freaked me out so we dried out the ports and turned the car over a few dozen times to get the valves moving to see if maybe the seals were leaking and waited a bit an nothing they stayed dry. Put everything back together bee driving it a few days an still being worried about I started searching for signs that may tell me if I had a blown gasket. So far my dipstick is clean no milky way, coolant looks clean and seems to not have dropped in the level at all. I get some smoke out of my exhaust some due to the cold weather but today being 60 degrees out only time I saw a little light white smoke come out was after hard acceleration thinking it could be blow by from oil through my PCV line to the intake manifold burning off because it goes away. Tried smelling my exhaust (no not breathing it directly) to see if it had a so called sweet smell but I cant really tell wife says it doesnt but to me it smells off. I know I'm running a little lean which is being corrected in my tune could that make it smell different? Looking for ideas of things to check or opinions. Wanting to catch the issue early if there is one at all. Thank you to all whom reply.

VistaBlue09GT

Reaction score
I mean today is a dry sunny day about 65 degrees only time I noticed a little smoke was after some hard acceleration as stated maybe blow by from the PCV line?? All the other stuff so far checks out. Just has me worried wasn't sure if there was something that could easily be done to give a definite answer to saying it is fine.

MrBottleneck

forum member
Reaction score
A pretty sure fire way to ease your worries of a blown head gasket is to have a "leakdown test" performed.

But from what your describing it doesn't sound like a blown head gasket.

Best of luck in your quest :)

VistaBlue09GT

Reaction score
I'll get it up to work on Tuesday and if we have time I'll try and see if I can get the test done. Thank you mrbottleneck an dino I'm sure it may be nothing just dont want to let it ride in the chance there is something wrong.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
How many miles do you have on the engine?
Is it N/A or did you add forced induction?
You could try running an air oil separator (catch can) on the driver's side to prevent crankcase oil vapors from reaching the intake valves and gunking up the CMCVs.

VistaBlue09GT

Reaction score
I just hit 109k a month or so ago, an a oil separator is next on my list after seeing how gunked up it was. I'm still N/A for now probably be another winter or so before I start doing more on the build. It isnt running rough an doesnt seem to be driving any differently. An so far everything I've checked has been fine, keeping an eye on my coolant an oil.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
OP, I found that my 08 Mustang shows steam from the tailpipe under more conditions than any car I have ever owned. Not sure why.

At first, I was also concerned about coolant in the combustion chamber. But, a year later, and there are no signs of it -- coolant is clean, IC coolant is clean, and neither's level has dropped.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back