09 Reversing hood scoop

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by FrankieD, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM.

1. FrankieD

FrankieD Member

I was wondering if any one has reversed their hood scoop and cut a hole in the hood for heat extraction. I don't have a hood scoop and was thinking getting one and doing this, at least this way the scoop would be functional. I don't like the Idea of cutting the hood braces and putting the long heat defuser in. I only drive when it is nice and it sleep's in the winter. Just an idea I was thinking about.

2. Forty61

Forty61 forum member

You mean so it looks kinda like the old scoop on the Trans Ams? Interesting idea.. what about a regular cowl hood?

3. Laga

Laga Member

There’s no guarantee that a reversed hood scoop would extract heat There is an area of high pressure at the base of the windshield. This is cowl induction works. You might be better off with it pointing forwards. This way, at speed, the air would be blowing down on the top of the motor and out the bottom.

FrankieD and JimC like this.
  4. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

better to add GT500 style extractors IMO

crjackson2134, Aerofinz and Pentalab like this.
  5. Racer47

Racer47 Doesn't have much to say S197 Team Member

hood.jpg

Aerofinz and Pentalab like this.
  6. FrankieD

FrankieD Member

Yes Exactly

7. FrankieD

FrankieD Member

Looks Nice but I am to cheap to spend that kind of money

8. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

Some folks here on S197 have already tried that, thinking they would scoop in air....to cool the top of their PD blower. What actually happens, is the opposite, air comes OUT the (forward facing) scoop. Between the upper and lower front grilles, there is a ton of air going into the eng bay. With the bottom cover on, that only leaves a narrow space, on each side of the block, for air to go down below the eng. The resulting high pressure in the eng bay has to go somewhere. The tiger racing hood, GT-500 hood vents, Roush style vents all work to extract air. The forward facing scoop is an inefficient way to extract air. What you are proposing is a wasted effort.

Midlife Crises likes this.
  9. Laga

Laga Member

The OP did not ask what the most efficient style of vent was. He was asking about a reversed hood scoop. No doubt the hoods specifically designed for heat extraction work best.

10. Rugermack

Rugermack Junior Member

Any hole in a hood will either let air in or out. A reversed scoop would work like a vent with a cover. Of course heat extractor hood would work better.

11. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

I never saw a trans am with a functional rvs hood scoop. I saw dozens of em, and the back end was always blocked off.

12. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Actually the 70-72 trans am they were functional. Mid 70's 455HO models had a solenoid to open the scoop. 3rd gen had functional vents.

13. Rugermack

Rugermack Junior Member

I wasn't talking trans am

14. AboStangster

AboStangster Junior Member

Hi FrankieD,

I have a functional hood scoop for cool air intake as well as piped side scoops for hot air dissipation. This setup works very well for keeping my baby cooler.

20210916_114513.jpg

20210916_114427.jpg

20210417_210237.jpg

FrankieD likes this.
  15. crjackson2134

crjackson2134 Member

I replaced my hood with a GT500 hood with functional heat-extractor. It’s way better at removing heat than the stock GT hood I had, that also had functional heat extractors.

If you are just going to modify your hood anyway, I would pattern it after the GT500 hood, and place it similarly too. It needs to be in a low pressure area to be fully effective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.