11' with 3:73's, rearend howling.

93coupe

Reaction score
i got my '11 a few weeks ago. first off, it had 13x miles when i test drove it/signed. they took it for cleaning, gasing it up, ect. i got it with 19x miles. not sure why/where/how those miles were put on..

it had a very faint howl on deceleration, i assumed new rear maybe breaking in. i have had a car with improperly installed gears before, but it was louder/later in the process when i got it. never had one with fresh gears swapped to pick up new noises.

it now has 650 miles on it, the howl is a little louder. so my question, does anyone else have this? common issue or rare? i just searched and found nothing.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
If you search for some of my threads that I started I had this same problem with my 3.73 optioned car. It ended up being the pinion bearing failure....which seemed to plague the car after 4 visits of getting it "fixed" which resulted in a trade for an auto.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just live with the whine. If you take back to the dealer for repair they are just gonna fuck your rear end up and probably make it worse. Dealers usually suck at this type of repair.

vschaos

Reaction score
Is yours a MT-82? I have read of folks complaining about the whine noise...sounding like the rear in the manuals. I test drove a MT-82 with 3.73s and it had a slight whine to it as well even being new. I went with the auto though and do not have the whine. I think it may only relate to the MT-82 vehicles, but could be wrong.

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you're not mistaking it for the transmission whine. That's a pretty widespread problem and I had it on my original transmission and the new one they put in.

Does the whine still happen if you have the clutch depressed on decel?

EDIT: I do have 3.73 rear end with a 6MT

McClane

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has had a slight whine since it had a couple hundred miles on it. I just turn on the radio and it drowns out the noise.

93coupe

Reaction score
it sounds like its from the rear..

it very well could be the transmission, it just seemed like a rear end issue though. i get a little bit of clunking if i dont have silky smooth clutch engagements in town rowing the gears. the howl is only on deceleration, i will check it in neutral.

i hear you on the dealership situation, i dont want to take it in there.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
My 3.15 gears had a good deal of whine from the factory, Had a great installer put in some 4.10s and now they are much, much quieter. (can't even hear any whine at all)

m4reapr

Reaction score
I can hear a very, very faint whistle with aggressive acceleration in 3rd, sounds like the trans.

on a side note, my 2003 GT whines fairly loudly when I let off the gas in 3rd. It is a lower tone whine than what I can barley hear in the 2011 and it comes from the rear of the car, meaning between the 2 noises in the 2 cars I can tell where they come from.

The 2003 has 154k miles on it, rear looked fine when changing gear oil and works fine, just whines when not on it.

93coupe

Reaction score
i remembered to check it again today. the noise appears to be transmission afterall. the howl stops when in neutral.

i already knew the transmissions were shit, so this concerns me 0 now. it still shifts great and feels good, except coming to a stop and sticking it into first. game on.. if it breaks it breaks.

Wish I Had a Nice Car

forum member
Reaction score
I might be reading this wrong, but they put 60 miles on it getting gas and detaling it? I wouldn't have accepted delivery, you bought a car with 13x miles....not one where who knows who was doing what to it for 60 miles...

93coupe

Reaction score
I might be reading this wrong, but they put 60 miles on it getting gas and detaling it? I wouldn't have accepted delivery, you bought a car with 13x miles....not one where who knows who was doing what to it for 60 miles...

thats correct. my suspicion was confirmed when i looked over my paperwork. the car was signed to me with 13x miles on the title, i got in the car to leave after they did detail/gas, ect. the odometer read 193 miles.

i didnt think much of it, or really pay much attention until i got home. thats where i looked at my paperwork. nothing i can do about it now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back