'14 GT Automatic - drag racing results from a few simple mods

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I just took a look and read it all on the Watson sure seems to be an A-OK set-up.

That might very well be the one for you.

Especially in your case wanting to keep your rear seat.

T.

How about an exo cage so I don't even have to mess with the interior? I wonder how the NHRA would react to that! Okay, maybe not.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Im in the same boat with cages as I am for trailers for street / strip cars.
If it has a cage, it better wheelie, and be at least in the 9's, same with trailered cars imo.

I know there's some "ill" handling cars that are probably in the 13's, and maybe 14's, but I'm thinking these late model cars with the right amount of power, and traction can probably make dozens of low 10 second passes, and look uneventful doing it. I guess it's the cars that shouldn't be at the track to begin with that insist on racing that ruins it for good cars.

Long story short is, I know Brian's car, and others similar to his run very good, and I cannot imagine it being considered unsafe enough to mandate a cage if he went a few tenths quicker than he's currently going now. I don't know when the 11.5 rule was set in place, but I'm betting the speed limit on the interstates was 55, and not 75, or 80 like it is currently.

I know completely stock vehicles can run quicker than 11.5 without a cage, but would you rather be next to a new ZR1 Vette, or Viper on plastic, big wheel compound factory tires, or drag radials. I'd put money that he/she would be more apt to stay in their own lane with drag radials. As a matter of fact, being next to a car like that at the drag strip, I'd appreciate it if they had a little suspension work as well to help them stay glued to the track.

Last edited:

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
My car with stock suspension still looked like I was running 14s to an external observer when running 9s :) See the video in my sig for how docile the ride was with that setup.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
My car with stock suspension still looked like I was running 14s to an external observer when running 9s :) See the video in my sig for how docile the ride was with that setup.
Exactly. These cars "for the most part" are great in terms of safety, and stability. I think a 2016 Roush-charged or whatever quick latemodel Stang needs to be treated differently than cars like my old 63.5 Galaxie if it was capable of the times that these newer cars are capable of so easily..

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Our automatic cars launch drama-free, but the manual trans S197's can get out of shape easily with the stock suspension. I'd want a cage in a manual trans car, and even the automatic cars can get out of control if tire blows or the guy in the next lane crosses over. I'm all for requiring a cage at 11.49 (It used to be 11.99 or quicker up til about 10 or 15 years ago).

I'm gonna hold off on a cage until the local tracks make it an issue for me. One more decent mod and I'll be under the cutoff. I can't decide whether to do long tube headers, CJ IM, cams, or some weight reduction (racing seats, K-member, etc.).

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you do cams, do custom. Dont buy off the shelf junk. With the added weight of the glass roof youd be good just cutting some weight.

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
The cost to benefit ratio on cams is a pretty tough sell especially knowing that you'll sub out the labor.

If you swap out a k member you really should go ahead and throw on some long tubes at the same time since it's all wide open and super easy to do.

The real answer is FI!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I wondered if it was slackness or misinterpretation. Just figured it was good after no isseus at three NHRA sanctioned tracks no less than 75 miles from one another.
Some tracks either interpret it differently on their own or have called and gotten different impressions.
I know completely stock vehicles can run quicker than 11.5 without a cage, but would you rather be next to a new ZR1 Vette, or Viper on plastic, big wheel compound factory tires, or drag radials.
Partly why the rule as it is does not make a lot of sense. It is what it is and they've had plenty of time to change it or reign things in so it is consistent everywhere. They haven't and they apparently will not.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
If you do cams, do custom. Dont buy off the shelf junk. With the added weight of the glass roof youd be good just cutting some weight.

Cutting some weight is appealing as long as it doesn't take away any functionality of the car or add any NVH. Power to weight ratio can be easily improved in such a heavy car.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
The cost to benefit ratio on cams is a pretty tough sell especially knowing that you'll sub out the labor.

If you swap out a k member you really should go ahead and throw on some long tubes at the same time since it's all wide open and super easy to do.

The real answer is FI!

Cams and the labor to install are expensive. I get a break on shop rates since I work at a Ford dealership, but it's still gonna be nearly half the money that it would cost to go with a blower.

I would absolutely do a K member and long tubes at the same time as there is some shared labor expense that can be saved by doing them together. I am probably going to do these after this racing season.

FI is intoxicating. I've gone that route a couple of times in the past. I really liked the Vortech V2 setup on my '07 GT and my '14 GT is already modded perfectly to go with another centrifugal blower. It's just a lot of money to get past my wife. And, there is something satisfying about lifting my hood in the pits at the track and having people see a stock engine and airbox on a car this quick.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I'll be racing at Bremerton Raceway tomorrow (test 'n' tune). Gates open at 3pm, racing starts at 4pm. Anyone here going? And yes, I'll be taking my Mustang - not my Challenger. A few of us are taking our Mustangs tomorrow.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Not the best day of racing. Many more racers than normal for a Friday test 'n' tune, so I only got in 5 passes. Track prep wasn't so great. Opened up with a traction limited 12.07 @ 119.68 spinning all the way through 1st & 2nd gears. That trap speed did pique some interest and one fellow Mustang owner came over to ask which supercharger I had! Second run started with tirespin through 1st gear and an 11.82 pass.

Went back to the pits, aired down my drag radials a bit to compensate for the weather and lack of track prep. Came out of the waterbox feeling better with the burnout, and went 11.61 on my third pass. Then went 11.58 and 11.62 to finish the day. No personal bests, but the weather put the DA in the 750-1000' range so I wasn't really expecting any PB's anyway. I had a good time, none-the-less.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello Brian,

As long as you enjoy what your doing IMHO that's what really counts buddy.

The times look okay to me above.
icon14.gif

Terry

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Hello Brian,

As long as you enjoy what your doing IMHO that's what really counts buddy.

The times look okay to me above.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. The guy that thought I had a supercharger was a little surprised to see a factory stock engine & airbox!

We have one more race day (weather permitting) in 3 weeks. Hoping that cool fall weather nets me an 11.4XX so I can end the season with a personal best.

I absolutely enjoy racing no matter the ET's. My son-in-law was frustrated with his '08 Bullitt (high 14's / low 15's on street tires spinning like mad). A friend came out with his modded '14 Brembo GT and was upset with mid 12's every pass (Boss IM, FR TB & CAI, 3.73 gears, UCA & LCA with relo brackets, drag radials, off-road X-pipe, tune, etc.). I kept reminding them to have fun and not get caught up in personal bests.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. The guy that thought I had a supercharger was a little surprised to see a factory stock engine & airbox!

We have one more race day (weather permitting) in 3 weeks. Hoping that cool fall weather nets me an 11.4XX so I can end the season with a personal best.

I absolutely enjoy racing no matter the ET's. My son-in-law was frustrated with his '08 Bullitt (high 14's / low 15's on street tires spinning like mad). A friend came out with his modded '14 Brembo GT and was upset with mid 12's every pass (Boss IM, FR TB & CAI, 3.73 gears, UCA & LCA with relo brackets, drag radials, off-road X-pipe, tune, etc.). I kept reminding them to have fun and not get caught up in personal bests.

That is the times most people run with the 08/09 Bullitt Mustangs with Stock tires etc.

They are not some all fired wild Machines on the Drag-Strip.

IMHO, they run good, but not what most of us think of, Fast.

Your GT Mustang runs really Strong Brian ...........

And your right once guys get all hung up on ET's the Fun factor soon goes away and Frustration takes over.

This is the key,just have fun!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Amen !!!

T.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I see 3 days left in Oct for Pacific...
Still hoping to make one of them!

You are correct that Pacific Raceways has 3 race days left, but each is a Saturday (Oct 8, 15, and 22) and I have to work every Saturday. Bremerton Raceway is running Oct 7 (Friday), so I'll be there weather permitting.

I sure hope you get to make some passes again before the season is done! Heck, I hope I get to make some more passes before the season is done as last Friday wasn't enough for me (only got 5 passes).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back