'14 GT Automatic - drag racing results from a few simple mods

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
You are correct that Pacific Raceways has 3 race days left, but each is a Saturday (Oct 8, 15, and 22) and I have to work every Saturday. Bremerton Raceway is running Oct 7 (Friday), so I'll be there weather permitting.

I sure hope you get to make some passes again before the season is done! Heck, I hope I get to make some more passes before the season is done as last Friday wasn't enough for me (only got 5 passes).

I will be cutting it close, still waiting on some small pieces to get here or would be ready now! Since it's a rush to make the last day I know for a fact it won't be dialed in for kill, but should still go plenty fast enough to get a stern talking to, probably still make a PR with ease.

:yaoface:

Few teaser pics from the build:
IpS6JhO.jpg

ghNdctU.jpg

GGVX9

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I will be cutting it close, still waiting on some small pieces to get here or would be ready now! Since it's a rush to make the last day I know for a fact it won't be dialed in for kill, but should still go plenty fast enough to get a stern talking to, probably still make a PR with ease.

Oh man, I just know there are some 8.90's in the works once you're up and running!

My winter plans for my GT will hopefully net me a "mild" talking to next spring. I'm looking to crack 11.49 occasionally at full weight. I've been pulling the spare/jack/seats to run 11.5's this season, but want to keep the car whole next season for every pass. I figure I only need about 20 more hp to accomplish this.

I was hoping to make some passes in my new '16 Challenger Scat Pack (392 Hemi, 8-speed auto) next season, but my wife has made it clear that it is a daily driver only and the Mustang will be the only race car in our stable. Oh well, 11 second street-legal "race car" and 12 second daily driver in my garage. Talk about first world problems, LOL.

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
Oh man, I just know there are some 8.90's in the works once you're up and running!

8s are definitely the plan, but I don't think it will get there on the first pass out the gate.

After a bit more dial-in time hopefully, but this is all last minute since the track season ends soon so the first goal is just to get down it the strip at all.

Next season I'll see what we can push it to!

Picked up another car instead of going FI? Shame on you!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Brian, am thinking of going back to the track this Friday. See you where just at a track a few days ago, was wondering what PSI do you set your rear tires for on street tires? Guessing you max out the PSI in the fronts?

Trying to run best I can as last time I did no adjustments just ran street tires at 32 PSI all the way around and got a 12.58 but also was 75 degrees that day, this Friday will mostly be for fun as temps near 90 in NJ for the last time looks like for the year.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score

My winter plans for my GT will hopefully net me a "mild" talking to next spring. I'm looking to crack 11.49 occasionally at full weight. I've been pulling the spare/jack/seats to run 11.5's this season, but want to keep the car whole next season for every pass. I figure I only need about 20 more hp to accomplish this.

I was hoping to make some passes in my new '16 Challenger Scat Pack (392 Hemi, 8-speed auto) next season, but my wife has made it clear that it is a daily driver only and the Mustang will be the only race car in our stable. Oh well, 11 second street-legal "race car" and 12 second daily driver in my garage. Talk about first world problems, LOL.

Those scat paks run and are awesome cars- my best friend went opening day 2015' a 11.98 stone stock with just a mt dr and 375 miles on the odometer the following week went 11.89, eventually got it tuned and was going 11.60's with 1.60's and 1.61 60 foots- nuts and his race weight was over 4400(he is a large mammal). Driving one is easy but there is a preflight check list to shut this and that off and put this in this mode. went 11.70's tuned and a just a 200$ toyo tire before he sold it this spring.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
8s are definitely the plan, but I don't think it will get there on the first pass out the gate.

After a bit more dial-in time hopefully, but this is all last minute since the track season ends soon so the first goal is just to get down it the strip at all.

Next season I'll see what we can push it to!

Picked up another car instead of going FI? Shame on you!

I know, I know; FI is cheaper than another car!!! However, now I can push the Mustang harder at the track without worrying about it breaking. Before buying the Challenger, the Mustang was my daily driver, so breaking it the track would mean nothing to drive to work.

And, I don't do boring daily drivers, so I went shopping for a bigger, more comfortable V8, RWD coupe. So, Challenger it is.

Plus, I've done FI before. Trying really hard to go fast NA with my current Mustang. 10.90's someday would be the ultimate goal - maybe a couple of seasons from now. Next season, 11.30's or 11.40's would be plenty.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Brian, am thinking of going back to the track this Friday. See you where just at a track a few days ago, was wondering what PSI do you set your rear tires for on street tires? Guessing you max out the PSI in the fronts?

Trying to run best I can as last time I did no adjustments just ran street tires at 32 PSI all the way around and got a 12.58 but also was 75 degrees that day, this Friday will mostly be for fun as temps near 90 in NJ for the last time looks like for the year.

I run 50 psi in the front runners to increase rollout before tripping the beams.

I run drag radials out back (23 psi works great for me most of the time). When I ran street tires many years ago, 25 psi and a long burnout (not in the waterbox!) seemed to work okay.

90 degrees will definitely slow you down from your 12.58 run, but you may actually hook easier.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Those scat paks run and are awesome cars- my best friend went opening day 2015' a 11.98 stone stock with just a mt dr and 375 miles on the odometer the following week went 11.89, eventually got it tuned and was going 11.60's with 1.60's and 1.61 60 foots- nuts and his race weight was over 4400(he is a large mammal). Driving one is easy but there is a preflight check list to shut this and that off and put this in this mode. went 11.70's tuned and a just a 200$ toyo tire before he sold it this spring.

11.60's with just a tune & tire is awesome! My research says low to mid 12's pure stock, and 11.90's with a drag radial. 3 more tenths with a tune seems logical (based on what we see with 5.0L Mustangs), but unlocking the damn PCM's in a '15+ Challenger is tricky & costly.

I have the Scat Pack "preflight" checklist down pretty well now. I have my "sport" mode already configured (and it stays put even when the car is turned off and restarted), so all I have to do is hold the stability control button for about 6-7 seconds to turn that off (just like in our Mustangs). My Scat Pack has the "super track pack" option with launch control, but it's an 8-speed auto, so launch control with a stock torque converter doesn't provide any benefit, in my opinion.

The big torque of the 6.4L Hemi coupled with narrow 245mm tires makes it tough to hook up on the street. Definitely need more tire (on the street and track). But, I've been working on powering out of corners a bit sideways the past few days for fun! This could be a great drift car!

Last edited:

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
for some reason in 2015 his was one of the quickest skats around on all the mopar forums and stuff- he had the factory lightweight wheels that you didn't see on all the skats in 15" and no sun roof. And yes the tune isn't cheap when factoring in buying another oem computer. His tuner out of NCorSC cant remember was playing hard with removing the torgue management from right to the point on the last day of our 2015 season he gernades the whole rear end- center section half shafts drive shafts exhaust valves etc- to the tune of $8500 was the estimate at the dealer- he bought some take off parts from some different places and was at around 4500 into but was without a car for 4months- this was the breaking point because he knew he would just break it again that is why he sold it.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you, I avoid the water box too last year on street tires as it gets into the tread. I will try 25 and see how it goes and will also do 50 in the front

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
for some reason in 2015 his was one of the quickest skats around on all the mopar forums and stuff- he had the factory lightweight wheels that you didn't see on all the skats in 15" and no sun roof. And yes the tune isn't cheap when factoring in buying another oem computer. His tuner out of NCorSC cant remember was playing hard with removing the torgue management from right to the point on the last day of our 2015 season he gernades the whole rear end- center section half shafts drive shafts exhaust valves etc- to the tune of $8500 was the estimate at the dealer- he bought some take off parts from some different places and was at around 4500 into but was without a car for 4months- this was the breaking point because he knew he would just break it again that is why he sold it.

I've always worried about breaking IRS stuff, hence one of many reasons I won't own a 2015+ Mustang until the factory seriously upgrades the diff & half shafts. Sounds like I'd better keep the Scat Pack as a daily driver and leave the real racing to my tried & true '14 Mustang GT with its "old fashioned" solid axle!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, I avoid the water box too last year on street tires as it gets into the tread. I will try 25 and see how it goes and will also do 50 in the front

Try to get some white smoke out of your tires during the burn out, but not too much or else the oils in the tire compound can actually slicken the tires. Just a whiff of white smoke and it's ready. Also, you need some tire speed (2nd gear burnout) to get enough heat in them, in my opinion. Hopefully, you report back with a new personal best ET!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Try to get some white smoke out of your tires during the burn out, but not too much or else the oils in the tire compound can actually slicken the tires. Just a whiff of white smoke and it's ready. Also, you need some tire speed (2nd gear burnout) to get enough heat in them, in my opinion. Hopefully, you report back with a new personal best ET!

Thanks for advice! Ran rear at 25, front at 50. Went around water box. Being 80+ degrees I did 7 passes and was always 12.7-12.8 @ 110-111. I can post my slip later on to show you, I got about 1.9xx every 60 ft except 1 which was 2.013. my best was 1.956 which was my best pass of 12.724 @ 111.34. Last year and like 20 degrees cooler I had a 12.58 @ 112. I had a hard time getting the tires to smoke, my dad came with me and sat in the bleachers all night said I got them spinning but not hard enough to smoke them.

Regardless it was very fun!

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for advice! Ran rear at 25, front at 50. Went around water box. Being 80+ degrees I did 7 passes and was always 12.7-12.8 @ 110-111. I can post my slip later on to show you, I got about 1.9xx every 60 ft except 1 which was 2.013. my best was 1.956 which was my best pass of 12.724 @ 111.34. Last year and like 20 degrees cooler I had a 12.58 @ 112. I had a hard time getting the tires to smoke, my dad came with me and sat in the bleachers all night said I got them spinning but not hard enough to smoke them.

Regardless it was very fun!

Fun is the key and it sounds like you did well. Running 60' times under 2 seconds on street tires is hard to do, so you're doing well. Some drag radials and cooler air would certainly get you into the lower 12's.

I can't wait to get back to the track. October 7th is my next day to race, then it'll be time to start some mods for the off season.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Fun is the key and it sounds like you did well. Running 60' times under 2 seconds on street tires is hard to do, so you're doing well. Some drag radials and cooler air would certainly get you into the lower 12's.

I can't wait to get back to the track. October 7th is my next day to race, then it'll be time to start some mods for the off season.
What's your plans for mods??

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
What's your plans for mods??

Long tube headers, BMR k-member, and lightweight Corbeau racing seats are at the top of my list. Money is a little tighter with the Challenger Scat Pack in the mix now, but I think I can get these mods done to the Mustang before next racing season starts. Have also been toying with the idea of a Boss IM, but the local guys that have done this mod aren't seeing the gains I would have hoped for. In the long term, more aggressive camshafts might be in the cards since I already have the supporting mods (big converter and steep gears).

There was once a time (decades ago) when I longed to hit 100 mph in the 1/4 mile. I'm well past that with my '14 GT and now would like to see 100 mph in the 1/8 mile. I run 93+ every pass and go 94+ occasionally, so I have some modding to do to get there. I think 100 mph in the 1/8 mile would probably get me into the 6.90's in the process, which would be cool as I've been in the 7's for a long time with this car.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I wish we lived closer to each other so we could meet up at a track and see what's -what, hahaha! The times your car cranks out are flat out amazing, We have a 2012 C63 Benz with a 3 Liter Weisetec stage 3 blower that spit out over 630rwhp at a dyno in SLC, and it's ran a best of 7.4 at 96 in the eighth at our track, and although it's quick, it's not really set up good for drag racing with small tire only wheel wells, big brakes allowing small side-wall, super stiff suspension, and it weighs over 4K with nobody in it, but to think your car's quicker or even almost as fast "trapping" without a power adder is amazing to me.

Yes, we have no air up here, but I just don't think my car that runs 8.2-8.3 at 84mph could pick enough to hang with the times you run at your track, but I'd love to see, rather than using on-line calculators to speculate.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I wish we lived closer to each other so we could meet up at a track and see what's -what, hahaha! The times your car cranks out are flat out amazing, We have a 2012 C63 Benz with a 3 Liter Weisetec stage 3 blower that spit out over 630rwhp at a dyno in SLC, and it's ran a best of 7.4 at 96 in the eighth at our track, and although it's quick, it's not really set up good for drag racing with small tire only wheel wells, big brakes allowing small side-wall, super stiff suspension, and it weighs over 4K with nobody in it, but to think your car's quicker or even almost as fast "trapping" without a power adder is amazing to me.

Yes, we have no air up here, but I just don't think my car that runs 8.2-8.3 at 84mph could pick enough to hang with the times you run at your track, but I'd love to see, rather than using on-line calculators to speculate.

Trust me; your car is every bit as quick as mine, based on DA correction info I've estimated for your times. Our local tracks' DA varies enough that I clearly see real changes in my car's ET's and trap speeds with those DA changes. Every 1000' in DA hurts my car's 1/4 mile performance by about 1 tenth and 1 mph. If you ever vacation to the west coast, come up to the Seattle area and let's get your car & my car lined up on the same track and run side-by-side. That would be one helluva close race!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back