160,000 miles and still going... 2014 GT

Red Baron

Reaction score
Great story and well documented. My 2006 GT Premium has 168,300 miles currently. When I purchased it from a dealer in November 2013 it had 147,500 miles so I'm only averaging 4,100 miles a year.

I too have the corrosion problem under the hood but have installed a Mustang Bug Guard from AM which not only hides the corrosion but serves a useful purpose. The car looked great from 30 feet but the paint was faded and the hood had a number of scratches. The interior however was in very good condition but in need of some TLC.

After I bought the car I detailed it myself using Griot's Garage products and their 6" Orbital Polisher. After washing the car I clay barred the car to get rid of all of the embedded surface dirt, polished the paint with Machine Polish #2 and #3 and then sealed the paint with Griot's Paint Sealant all done with the Orbital Polisher. The following spring I cleaned the very dirty engine and engine bay with Griot's Engine Degreaser and protected it with Griot's Engine Dressing. I cleaned the interior with Griot's Interior Cleaner and treated the leather seats with Griot's Leather Restorer.

Mechanically the throttle body was caked with black carbon causing a horrible hesitation. We cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner and installed a new serpentine belt. The hesitation problem was immediately fixed!

Over the years I have done a lot of preventive and necessary maintenance on the car including a full tune-up with new sparks plugs, spark plug wires, 8 new MSD Coil Paks (after 2 of the originals had gone bad), new tie rods, new ceramic brakes and rotors and a BG Brake System Flush. A BG Fuel Injector treatment was done to clean up the induction system and I add a BG Fuel System Cleaner with my oil changes. At every other gas fillup I add 8oz. of Lucas Fuel Injection Cleaner which lubricates the valves and gives the engine smoother performance. I replaced the shocks and struts with heavy duty Monroe shocks and struts. Of course one of the first things I did was to replace all four of the half worn out tires with 4 new 19" Goodyear Eagle RSA all season tires. The dealer had switched the original 17" wheels for 19" wheels off of a 2010 Mustang GT. This makes the car appear much newer than a typical 2006 Mustang. I did switch out the original mufflers for a set of Bullitt Mufflers from a 2009 Mustang Bullet. It gives the car a more throaty exhaust sound!

I've had a number of BG Services done to the cooling system, automatic transmission, AC, brakes, power steering system and had a new 130 AMP Alternator installed to replace the original. A new, high output Interstate Battery was installed 2 years ago. I replaced the peeling black perforated door panels with red suede padded inserts done by an upholstery professional. It changes the whole look of the interior and makes it look amazingly upscale!

I've kept the car stock except for some engine dress up items from AM. I bought a custom fitted car cover from a friend of mine to keep the car protected, mostly in the spring when we have a lot of seed buds falling from the trees.

I've won numerous awards at a number of competitive car shows and people simply do not believe the condition of this car especially when they hear that it has more than 168,000 miles!

One funny note. In April 2014 my Mustang Club had it's monthly meeting at a restaurant not too far from the dealership that I bought the car. I stopped there earlier before our meeting and they didn't recognize the car! Their mechanic swore that I had replaced the engine as it looked brand new!DSC_9891.JPG DSC_9891.JPG DSC_9891.JPG Smart Phone Photos 196.jpg DSC_4138.JPG Carolyn's Croftgate Detail 2015 002.JPG DSC_9891.JPG DSC_9891.JPG Carolyn's Croftgate Detail 2015 002.JPG DSC_4138.JPG Smart Phone Photos 196.jpg

JJ427R

Reaction score
Very nice, does look new, do a few track days it'll change that nice look quickly.... ;)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I had my RED 2011 Fusion ( bought new in Jan 2011) over coated..and under coated. Best thing I did. Just wash, rinse, that's it, done by hand of course. The over coat is like a permanent wax. When dry, it looks pristine.. like it was just washed and waxed. It's still like that..almost 8 yrs later. Can't say that for the BLACK 2010 mustang, I bought 3rd hand in March 2011. Stays clean..for all of 3-4 days. Worse case is when it's wet from rain, then along comes some wind... and green pollen from all my pine trees..all over the stang..which of course finds it's way into the wet spots on the car... which then dry up..leaving green residue gunk every where. No room for a garage either, since I'm on a corner lot, with double wide drive way facing side street.... and not enough room to get a garage far enough from side property line.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
I got a 2008 GT. 131K, road course tracked somewhat regularly, still going strong. Only regular maintenance. Lots of upgraded parts though: tuned, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing P Springs, Bilstein HD shocks and struts, GT500 front control arms and strut mounts, BMR rear upper, lower arms, mount, moog inner/outer tie rods, pypes axelbacks, panhard bar and some other stuff. Changed water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, etc. Car is still running as strong as the day I bought her new in July of 3008. Ford builds em tough!

JJ427R

Reaction score
My 2010 Roush 427R only has 59,000 miles, so I've got a bit of catching up to do... Many of my miles are track days though, of which I have over 20 on it. And not trailered to and from track, driven there. Have also done a couple 1/4 mile nights.
The only items I had replaced under the 3/36 warranty was a front sway bar bushing that broke my first track day, and one of the hockey stick stripes on my passenger door started lifting so that was replaced. Nothing else since other than Brake Pads and tires (I'm on my 6th set I believe) :)

I've added Fluidyne Triple Flow Triple Pass Radiator and the same Heat Exchanger, B&M Racing Trans cooler. JDM Engineering 427R upgrade with 2.49 pulley and their tune, JDM Trans overflow catch can, Performance Automatic Tran Pan and dipstick, Roush CAI, StopTech 4 Pistons up front and Frozen Rotors Cryo Slotted Rotors. My suspension is the Roush Sport and nothing there replaced other then the bad bushing.

Only problem I have is the 5r55 automatic cannot handle the track days, I've done pretty much all the cooling mods I can and it still overheats and goes into limp mode (shifts itself into overdrive even though turned off). I'm very surprised it has lasted as long as it has with what I've put at it.....

Trevorusn

Reaction score
My 2014 GT has a wee over 40k miles and, well, the driver's seat is a bit wrinkled on the lower cushion, the black plastic housing behind the interior door release shakes loose somewhat often, and I have the corrosion issue inside my trunk lid. Not to mention my passenger headlamp is a bit foggy. Fit and finish wise it hasn't held up the best, but mechanically still feels fantastic, minus the brake caliper misaligning itself. I can testify to the car's toughness though after being rear-ended in it, she's a tough broad! The actual bodyshell took the hit with only a slight dimple, and the hit was hard enough to knock the bumper cover off and most likely total the other car. Thanks to the OP for posting this thread, good to hear they hold up well for the most part once the miles pile up.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I got 242k on my 06 GT. You guys have some catching up to do. 80 mile per day commutes will do that. Everything internal and external on my motor is still GTG. But I have a thing for breaking clutches and transmissions. Every car I've ever owned. You could give me a Miata with an Allison transmission out of a CAT dump truck and I'll find a way to break it. No rust on the outside and the paint has help up well. Interior is another story but normal for 242k miles. Stopped by a dealer the other day for a part and sat in a brand new Bullet and it was nice. Now my extremely worn out drivers seat makes me want to drive it of a cliff.

Also I've replaced or upgraded damn near everything suspension related, some stuff 2 or 3 times. I'm hard on that stuff too.

Edit - I forgot I had to fix the leaky o-ring on the heater coolant tube in the engine valley a couple times. The last time was enough for me. I sectioned the coolant tube and replaced with heater hose and worm clamps. Problem solved FOREVER. Also had a leaky water pump oring repair just once around 200k. And a leaky rear main seal twice. Other than that normal leaky stuff my 3 valve is GTG, even the stock Cam phasers. I probably just jinxed myself on that one.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back