2005 tach problem

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Ok this just happned! Coming back from thanksgiving the tach went to the bottom. It's pointing streight down. I pulled off and shut the car off thinking it may reset but didn't happen. Does anyone have an idea? It still is working its just pointing down? Everything else in the gauge cluster is working and I've got 500 miles to get home...

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried. I'm doin 80 down I40 to Memphis enroute to tulsa and trying to diag this while driving and checking my phn.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I found a couple arrivals about a stepper motor. Thanks I will order one now. Do you need a tach specific motor or will any of them work?

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
OK so I got home and the tach is actually working! Its just pointing down??? It doesn't seam to have full travel tho when I rev the shit out of it. I am going to order 6 stepper motors today but is their any certain ones I need?

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Just found out car is still under warenty so Im not jacking with it!! Let ford fix it!

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
The guy on the phone said if it is the stepper motor they will just replace the gauge cluster. I take it in next Monday at 0730. I will let you guys know!

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Well dropped the car off this morning and they said I should hear from them in a couple hours. We shall see!

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the dealership and the tach is bad so they are going to replace the entire cluster. Thank god for extended warranties!!

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I had something similar happen to my 2005 GT after the battery died. The tach was way off. I took the cluster out, took off the cover, and removed the tach needle and reinstalled it so that it was at zero. I put everything back together. It worked fine after that.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to do something similar but after I found out the warranty coverd it I was like screw it let them deal with it!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back