2006 V6 Fan Blades are loose

street.rodder

Reaction score
Noticed last evening that my fan is making a clicking noise when turning and has begun to come in contact with its shroud. I can reach the blades and they wobble when I push them back and forth. Question is, is there a way to tighten these or do I have to purchase a new fan mechanism?

Also, what's involved in getting the fan/shroud off either way I go? Thank you.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Noticed last evening that my fan is making a clicking noise when turning and has begun to come in contact with its shroud. I can reach the blades and they wobble when I push them back and forth. Question is, is there a way to tighten these or do I have to purchase a new fan mechanism?

Also, what's involved in getting the fan/shroud off either way I go? Thank you.

You need to purchase a new fan.

There will be 2 Bolts holding the Coolant Reservoir and 1 for the Power Steering Reservoir. Then there will be an electrical plug to undo. Once this is done, about a quarter of the way down each side of the fan there will be a bolt on each side to remove. With this out of the way, the assembly should come right out.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...lifts straight up once the 2 bolts are out and everything is out of the way...
Sounds like the fan motor has worn out. Easier to get a whole fan than to try to repair it.

street.rodder

Reaction score
Thanks guys, really appreciate your support and quick response!

Do you guys think I can do this without draining the radiator perhaps?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Probably won't need to drain anything. Just loosen the coolant tank bolts (two on top), disconnect the small overflow hose from the top, and you can pull the tank forward and out of the way, then pull up and out the fan (making sure the connector wire is disconnected on the passenger side of course!).

Ky S197

forum member
Reaction score
My new fan assembly arrived today from Tousley Ford it was 132.00 + 21.00 shipping. Check them out my local dealer wanted double this.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back