2008 GT: Shaker500 to OEM Nav Conversion... help/details?

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did a search on this topic but could not really find a comprehensive parts list, part numbers, install notes, or the like concerning how to convert my Shaker500 equipped 2008 GT to a factory OEM Navigation head unit. The most I've come up with is that once you get a hold of the head unit itself, it needs to be sent out for reprogramming. Where and at what cost?

I've also found that the Nav antenna is placed above the factory gauge cluster in clear view of the sky. As far as everything else is concerned, I'm still in the dark. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I would assume that you send it into Ford to have it reprogrammed but than again I've read that some people don't reprogram it and it works fine.

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score
I did it. Not hard. Just need to have Ford reprogram it, it was done with it already in the car.

Thanks for the info. Are there modifications to the wiring harness or an adapter harness needed? Is it plug and play? Is there a trim ring/bezel to make the install cleaner or is it the exact same size at the stock Shaker500? Sorry for all the questions, car audio is not exactly my strong point.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
It plugged in within the stock points I believe. I can't remember everything since I did it when I got the car almost 3 years ago, but it should be pretty much plug and play, just a couple things need to be calibrated by Ford. There is no trim-bezel as it is a factory OEM size as the shaker 500/100 head unit.

I love my factory unit, but I'm currently contemplating getting a Pioneer Z140bh since I like the phone connectivity and I wish I had handsfree.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It plugged in within the stock points I believe. I can't remember everything since I did it when I got the car almost 3 years ago, but it should be pretty much plug and play, just a couple things need to be calibrated by Ford. There is no trim-bezel as it is a factory OEM size as the shaker 500/100 head unit.

I love my factory unit, but I'm currently contemplating getting a Pioneer Z140bh since I like the phone connectivity and I wish I had handsfree.

I'd recommend the Kenwood nav, I got the Pioneer in my mustang and the Kenwood in my truck and the Kenwood using the gariman GPS gives much better directions. The rest is pretty much a toss up.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Kenwood nav, I got the Pioneer in my mustang and the Kenwood in my truck and the Kenwood using the gariman GPS gives much better directions. The rest is pretty much a toss up.

Which model of both are you running? Asking, because I am getting ready to the pull the trigger on an Avic X940bt and open to other options.

08 Vapor

forum member
Reaction score

Thanks again! If you decide to pull the trigger, I may be a buyer for your old setup. Let me know...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which model of both are you running? Asking, because I am getting ready to the pull the trigger on an Avic X940bt and open to other options.

The car has the x940BT I think. I really like that it lets me connect my iphone via BT and play music and pretty much any sound coming from the phone over the stereo, in fact the only thing I dislike about it is the gps nav, and I REALLY HATE the nav they use, gives horrible directions and is just not user friendly at all. I have the Kenwood DNX 6980 in my truck. The Garmin NAV on it is awesome. It doesn't let you play music via BT that I know of, but to be honest I never really looked to see if it did as I have an Ipod that I leave in the glove compartment hooked up all the time. Talking hands free via BT on the cell is pretty sweet on both of them. If you don't care about the nav the x940BT is a good choice but honestly the only reason I went with the Pioneer is because that is what the insurance wanted to replace my stolen head unit with, it was an upgrade to the stolen Pioneer AVIC90BT I had had. I think that the Pioneer ipod interface is a bit better then the Kenwood one, but not enough to be a big difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back