2009 Mustang GT keeps blowing fuse 47

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
A few months ago we had some heavy rain where I live, and I may have driven through some large puddles and kinda drenched the throttle body. Since then, I've been facing an issue with the wrench and check engine lights coming on and the throttle response is almost non existent. After a little bit of troubleshooting I noticed that fuse 47 which is one of the engine management fuses was blown, I replaced it and the car was somewhat fine until I drove for a while or tried to turn on cruise control, the fuse would blow and the lights would come on. I took the car for a drive today after installing a new fuse and it ran quite good and cruise control worked for a bit, but after that the car blew the fuse again and I replaced it two times and it just kept on blowing as soon as I accelerated. I've considered replacing the throttle body but from what I've read that fuse 47 has nothing to do with the throttle body. Has anyone faced this issue before and found a solution? Was it a bad TB or PCM?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
As you can see Fuse 47 controls alot of items. Could be any of these items. Could be wiring to them etc. First step is to pull codes. Unplug all of the items shown and make sure there is no moisture or condensation n the pigtail. Start there and let us know what you find.

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
As you can see Fuse 47 controls alot of items. Could be any of these items. Could be wiring to them etc. First step is to pull codes. Unplug all of the items shown and make sure there is no moisture or condensation n the pigtail. Start there and let us know what you find.
A while back when it first happened I unplugged the connectors for the pcm, maf, throttle, vct actuators, and cam position sensors and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner.

I also pulled the codes through my blue driver and got the following:
P0010 "A" cam position actuator bank 1
P0020 "A" cam position actuator bank 2
P0102 "A" MAF circuit low
P0446 EVAP system vent control circuit
P2008 intake manifold runner circuit open bank 1
P0645 A/C clutch relay control circuit

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Possibility here. Are your drains under hood clogged? Pull the passenger side lower plastic kick panel and inspect the secondary fuse panel for water intrusion.

DieHarder

Reaction score
A while back when it first happened I unplugged the connectors for the pcm, maf, throttle, vct actuators, and cam position sensors and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner.

I also pulled the codes through my blue driver and got the following:

I believe you've found the likely source of your problems. At least it's usually my experience most problems are self imposed. Clear the codes then start by removing one connector at a time; thoroughly blow them out w/compressed air; check the pins; connect back up and retest. Hopefully, that clears a few codes then you can concentrate on any outliers but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Last edited:

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
Possibility here. Are your drains under hood clogged? Pull the passenger side lower plastic kick panel and inspect the secondary fuse panel for water intrusion.
There was a lot of water intrusion sadly but it wasnt from the drains. It was because of how high water was, but the issue started before the water level got to a point where it entered the cabin. That's why I don't think it has anything to do with the secondary fuse panel. But I'll check it just in case

As you can see, there was a lot of water in fact it there was more but I took the photos two days after it happened.

20240213_172236.jpg

20240213_180239.jpg

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
I believe you've found the likely source of your problems. At least it's usually my experience most problems are self imposed. Clear the codes then start by removing one connector at a time; thoroughly blow them out w/compressed air; check the pins; connect it back up and retest. Hopefully, that clears a few codes then you can concentrate on any outliers but it sounds like you're on the right track.
I did what you said and in fact it did decrease the number of codes, when I ran my scanner the first time right after it stopped raining I had about 28 codes, and after letting it dry and cleaning the connectors I'm left with 6 codes, which actually go away when I replace the fuse but as soon as the wrench light comes on the codes come back as well as the fuse being blown.

Screenshot_20240411_144819_Gallery.jpg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Understanding you had the water intrusion issue. If the secondary fuse panel got wet inside it would be suspect for sure. That panel would need to be replaced. They are not serviceable

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
Understanding you had the water intrusion issue. If the secondary fuse panel got wet inside it would be suspect for sure. That panel would need to be replaced. They are not serviceable
Although I don't think that the water reached the panel, I'm gonna need to check it just to be safe. I'm also gonna install another throttle body to see if it makes any difference, like I said before, it got drenched in water.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Although I don't think that the water reached the panel, I'm gonna need to check it just to be safe. I'm also gonna install another throttle body to see if it makes any difference, like I said before, it got drenched in water.
There was a lot of water intrusion sadly but it wasnt from the drains. It was because of how high water was, but the issue started before the water level got to a point where it entered the cabin. That's why I don't think it has anything to do with the secondary fuse panel. But I'll check it just in case

As you can see, there was a lot of water in fact it there was more but I took the photos two days after it happened.

View attachment 95581

View attachment 95582

Ah, Ok, that's a problem. How high did the water get? Sounds like you have water (and possibly corrosion) in the cabling/connectors causing a short. That will need to be dried out before you do any additional troubleshooting. If it were me I'd start by pulling any of the cabling in the engine bay (related to the remaining codes) that got wet and disconnect/remove each of the cables that were drenched to dry and blow them out. Pull the fuse box in the engine bay and inspect it for water/corrosion. After drying take a VOM and verify connectivity on any cables you removed from end-to-end and then look for shorts pin-to-pin before reinstalling. Then check codes again.

Are these the 6 remaining codes you're talking about? If so that cabling is in the engine bay.

See Cable Routing diagrams: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Component Location Views.pdf&p=1

If you can't pull the cabling at least disconnect/dry them best you can and put a fan in the car and engine bay to dry it out for a few days. Then put it back together and recheck codes. That should help narrow down most of the issues.

Awad Alibrahim

Reaction score
Ah, Ok, that's a problem. How high did the water get? Sounds like you have water (and possibly corrosion) in the cabling/connectors causing a short. That will need to be dried out before you do any additional troubleshooting. If it were me I'd start by pulling any of the cabling in the engine bay (related to the remaining codes) that got wet and disconnect/remove each of the cables that were drenched to dry and blow them out. Pull the fuse box in the engine bay and inspect it for water/corrosion. After drying take a VOM and verify connectivity on any cables you removed from end-to-end and then look for shorts pin-to-pin before reinstalling. Then check codes again.

Are these the 6 remaining codes you're talking about? If so that cabling is in the engine bay.

See Cable Routing diagrams: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Component Location Views.pdf&p=1

If you can't pull the cabling at least disconnect/dry them best you can and put a fan in the car and engine bay to dry it out for a few days. Then put it back together and recheck codes. That should help narrow down most of the issues.
The water level was about an inch when it first occured. I took the car to a detail shop and they removed the carpet and interior and dryed it all as well as an interior deep clean.

I removed The fuse box when I was cleaning out the connectors and it didn't seem like it had any water damage. But I cleaned it too just to be sure.

Yep these are the codes, thanks for the diagrams I appreciate it. I'm gonna go through the connectors and will likely test their connectivity one by one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back