2011 5.0 Fly wheel troubles.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
Well the other day, my friend and I were driving my 2011 5.0 the way it was meant to be driven. He is a formula 3 race car driver so I trust him with my car. He wanted to see how it felt with the new boss manifold. After doing some drifting and such, we got lunch. After lunch we headed back to class and when he went to shift to 4th, the car wouldn't go into gear. Wee pulled over and restarted the car and then it went into gear. The problem is that now the clutch engages all the way at the floor and makes the car shake when rolling out first gear. Other then the clutch engaging really low, the car runs fine.

I took it to Ford and they think I need a new clutch. I told them the clutch is fine and it's the flywheel bolts. They are going to tear apart the transmission today and give me a call back. I know for a fact the clutch is in perfect condition.

Has this happened to anyone else? I will keep this thread updated when I hear more about what's going on.

*Also, for those who gave the boss intake manifold, is it normal to hear a sound that sounds like my intake is sucking in an insane amount of air when I hit the throttle? It's not really a squeak but it's very noticeable. Thanks for your help.

And to make things even better, the rental they gave me is a Fiat 500 LOL. Needless to say, the Shelby was used all weekend lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Your clutch pressure plate bolts have backed out not the flywheel bolts. It will be covered under warranty. If the clutch or pressure plate has been damaged they will replace everything from the flywheel to the tranny. I've read about others hearing the hissing or sucking sound you describe with the Boss intake so it's probably normal.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EJ, yeah the Boss mani hisses. I noticed it most on the freeway. It's normal.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet, that's good to hear. I was absolutely loving it when I had the car lol. It eats up e road so quick.

Look for my professional photoshoot thread after I get the car back! I've made some big changes from the tick GT/CS look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
So i spoke to Ford today. They still have the car and are changing the clutch and bolts for free. They are still waiting for the clutch to come in. So who knows when i get it back.

Anyone else think that a new clutch is unnecessary?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
So i spoke to Ford today. They still have the car and are changing the clutch and bolts for free. They are still waiting for the clutch to come in. So who knows when i get it back.

Anyone else think that a new clutch is unnecessary?

You want the updated clutch assy. It's much better than the one that came in your car.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
How do i go about getting the updated clutch assy? Wouldn't Ford automatically give it to me, seeing as they are replacing it anyway?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
How do i go about getting the updated clutch assy? Wouldn't Ford automatically give it to me, seeing as they are replacing it anyway?

Yes, that is why you are having to wait on a clutch. They are in short supply right now and it should come from the manufacturer. You stated a couple of post ago did anyone else think a new clutch was needed that's why I said that you would want the new updated assy.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
Oh sweet. Good to hear. Good thing i have you guys lol. How long do you guys think i should break in the car for with the new set up?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Oh sweet. Good to hear. Good thing i have you guys lol. How long do you guys think i should break in the car for with the new set up?

I took it easy on mine for 500 miles before beating on it. This new clutch grabs much better than the old one did and the pedal feels a little stiffer.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
Great. Ill keep you guys updated when i get the car back. Gonna reward myself with a proper photoshoot lol.

xAeons

forum member
Reaction score
Got the car back today and Ford replaced everything under warranty but they tried to pin the problem on me. They said no bolts were loose at all and the clutch was completely burnt out from trying to "get a holeshot with the traction control still on." WTF? I have never taken this car to the track and i never launch the car from a dig. And the clutch wasnt slipping at all and the car was driving fine except for what i mentioned in my previous post.

What's going on here? Ford said the next time it happens that I have to pay for it. Is Ford just trying to cover their ass in this situation?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back