2011 in shop already (rear end)

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed your broken thread with the pictures..I sure hope mine doesn't look like that. Do you know the build date on your car by chance?

My dealer is being really helpful however they are noticing I am getting a bit impatient haha

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Alright I got the car back today and everything sounds good so far after around 100 miles. As far as the problem:

They pinpointed the noise from the pinion bearing area, pulled the cover to verify that metal fragments from pinion bearings. They removed the rear end and did a complete bearing overhaul with all new components. The tech advised that they believe the last time that it was installed wrong as the bearing on the left side had a stress crack likely from being pressed on or possibly a defect from the factory. Regardless; I have all new components and should be satisfied for a while...I hope

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Alright I got the car back today and everything sounds good so far after around 100 miles. As far as the problem:

They pinpointed the noise from the pinion bearing area, pulled the cover to verify that metal fragments from pinion bearings. They removed the rear end and did a complete bearing overhaul with all new components. The tech advised that they believe the last time that it was installed wrong as the bearing on the left side had a stress crack likely from being pressed on or possibly a defect from the factory. Regardless; I have all new components and should be satisfied for a while...I hope

Great news! :beer:

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
So..I will be bringing it to the track tomorrow haha

Probably not the best way to go about it but I did buy the car to be able to race so we'll see if the problem is actually fixed.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Probably not the best way to go about it but I did buy the car to be able to race so we'll see if the problem is actually fixed.

Beat the hair off it!:beerdrink:

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score

Good luck! I think you can get some 11.6s out of it..

frank lemon

Reaction score
I just came across this thread as a new member to this forum and I wanted to share my tales of woe as well. I bought a brand new '11 GT on Jan 21, on Jan 26 with just over 350 miles, the pinion gear in the rear end broke. Car was bone stock with 3.31 gears. Ford replaced the entire rear end assembly for me as well, and I got it back this past Monday, 2/7.

I hear little clunking noises now and again, and I am worried that this is going to be a recurring problem.

edit - Good luck OP, and anyone else with problems.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I just came across this thread as a new member to this forum and I wanted to share my tales of woe as well. I bought a brand new '11 GT on Jan 21, on Jan 26 with just over 350 miles, the pinion gear in the rear end broke. Car was bone stock with 3.31 gears. Ford replaced the entire rear end assembly for me as well, and I got it back this past Monday, 2/7.

I hear little clunking noises now and again, and I am worried that this is going to be a recurring problem.

If it makes you feel any better, a pinion actually breaking is very rare. So while it did happen to you once, you should rest easy knowing that it likely won't happen again.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Good luck! I think you can get some 11.6s out of it..
I'm just hoping to get a few clean passes in. I haven't ran the car while lowered on the tire so I might not be doing so well. I know I need to get some lca brackets but I so badly want to just go out there and cut 1.6 60's again without doing them haha

Do you happen to know the assembly date on your car Frank? I really think that it was possibly that a bad batch came out. I know when this first happened that I was contacted by another member with the same problem as mine and our cars were built two days apart.

The clunking noises that you are hearing is likely the two piece driveshaft.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
What he is saying is a brand new car being in the shop for several days is a slap in the face.

The 2011 GT is only my 3rd American car out of 18 cars in the last 16 years. With my 2002 Corvette z06 bought new I had to take it back the first day and with this 2011 Mustang the same crap has started.

Edit- Also my 2007 Jeep Commander bought brand new had a water leak the first week I got it and spent 15 days in the shop while I drove a loaner PT Crusier and was paying $570 a month for the Jeep, talk about a slap in the face.

So basically I have been screwed by EVERY American car maker. Never had an issue with my imports in the first YEAR of ownership.

I'd say you were unlucky with the domestics and lucky with the imports. although it depends on make/model overall brand # of returns per vehicle sold honda/toyota are pretty close to ford and even chevy now. jeep and dodge on the other hand are a good margin lower. I've known people who have had a lot of problems with their imports(or, i guess they are american made/built so hmmm?). My brother's camry had his engine blow up on him at 120k miles. and i've known a few other people with problems with them too.. I haven't had to take my 07 GT in at all.

frank lemon

Reaction score
Do you happen to know the assembly date on your car Frank? I really think that it was possibly that a bad batch came out. I know when this first happened that I was contacted by another member with the same problem as mine and our cars were built two days apart.

The clunking noises that you are hearing is likely the two piece driveshaft.

So that clunking could be normal noise and nothing to worry about?

Build date on mine was 12/22/10.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Where does the noise seem to be coming from? I know that mine has made noise since day one.

frank lemon

Reaction score
hard to tell, definitely in the drivetrain somewhere. And I don't hear it all the time. Seems most likely to happen (or most likely to hear it anyway) if I am sort of riding/disengaging the clutch at low speed in 2nd gear. I don't have the grinding/rough shifting issue (yet?) that a lot of others have, so I hope it is just normal.

Good luck at the track tomorrow.

Back