2012 5.0 Caught on fire last night? Wtf?

FivePointOh

forum member
Reaction score
Where in Florida? I'm near PCB. I'm no expert fire investigator, but I've worked on a ton of BDAR's, Battle Damage Assessment Reports, for Army aviation. My thoughts wouldn't mean a thing in court, but I'd love to see it and give my impressions.

I'm in the Gainesville area, PCB im guessing is somewhere around palm beach county?

Thanks for all the positive wishes guys, the fire chief came over the day before yesterday and i printed out all the logs from this thread, and also from another similar issue over at moddedmustangs forums. So far he said he he didn't think it was arson or vandalism, hes thinking it lit somewhere around the passenger side kick pannel but doesn't know the actual cause of the fire just yet. I'll keep you guys updated as i go through this.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
wouldn't a fire Marshall be doing the investigation not a chief?
Also if It was caused by a "malfunction" you'll be waiting a long time for some kind of payment, so what are you going to do about your car loan?
Also I am not sure I think your Forum talk is going to help you out.. Kind of foolish if it gets you anywhere! Good luck on your situation but I still believe your in a big world of Crap considering your ins situation, and now your burnt up car with a lean still on it.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to who your lender is on the car. Mine is financed through Chase and when i switched from state farm to Geico I got a letter saying they were adding comprehensive to my auto loan and I had 48 hours to contact them from the date of the certified letter.

Also I haven't been in the new 5.0's yet but is the SJB in the passenger kick panel still? If so I would say if the fire chief is saying there. I would look there. And I'm pretty sure you checked into this theory but none smokes in your car do they? I have seen someone throw a cigarette out the window only for it to come back in the window and go under the back of the seat. A few hours later it looked like a cheech and chong movie.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
And I'm pretty sure you checked into this theory but none smokes in your car do they? I have seen someone throw a cigarette out the window only for it to come back in the window and go under the back of the seat. A few hours later it looked like a cheech and chong movie.
I thought it had been sitting for more than a few hours....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Unsure after reading through all of it I forgot how long he said it was there. Just main points I saw was 4:15 am, 1 mi to empty, and no insurance.

Jivefive0

forum member
Reaction score
If there was anything plugged in to your cig lighter, or any electronics in your car, you're SOL. It also appears to me the fire started inside the car.

I bought this '03 Cobra shell that had an interior fire as well (not Ford's fault, owner was welding a safety loop to the floor pan).

And this was after I fixed it:

post-5-1149622697.jpg

Dang bro that car looks great now! did you end up replacing everything? did the fire mess with the integrity of the roof and whatnot?

Last edited by a moderator:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Dang bro that car looks great now! did you end up replacing everything? did the fire mess with the integrity of the roof and whatnot?

I had to replace the roof skin. The rest of the interior was completely removed, and then on the inside, the body was taken down to bare metal, then primed, painted and finally assembled. I had a body shop replace the roof skin and paint it. The rest of the work was done by me in my garage.

This is it a couple years later and twin turbo:

APRIL2009010.jpg

LasVegas007-1.jpg

sept08011.jpg

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
That is some sickening shiznit man. Sorry for your loss man. Was it raining where you're located? Could it be possible that water leaked inside your battery compartment, spark occurred when water was in contact with both terminals and cause a fire?

Hope this gets resolved.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That is some sickening shiznit man. Sorry for your loss man. Was it raining where you're located? Could it be possible that water leaked inside your battery compartment, spark occurred when water was in contact with both terminals and cause a fire?

Hope this gets resolved.

Battery compartment? You can hose down a battery with no ill effects. Definitely not the cause.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Frank...great of you to convert the YouTube videos for him....that is the type of support that he needs :thumbup:

The SMS car will be disputed by Ford, because it is not a totally stock Ford car.

It will be easily determined if the car was torched.....

I would be at the door of the CEO of Ford demanding action.

Sounds like a good idea but you could never get within a mile of that guy...

Yup,, they can detemine a lot with very little.. It amazes me when I read aviation accident reports from the NTSB.. holy crap. But no.. not lookin like arson IMO.

She still to this day is fighting with ford.

If they paid it they would likely settle out of court with legal binding conditions to HUSH.. for obvious reasons

Insurance won't pay for it because it is a manufacturing defect....

As far as a lawyer, if it is proven to be a defect, the lawyer stands to make out well on this. Especially if there ends up being a class action suit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk 2

Probably the best chance. Look what it took lexus/Toyota to issue a recall... big class action lawsuit where people got hurt. Liability is a bitch and they will do anything not to accept it as their fault. If not FORCED to issue a recall then you get a TSB (That Sucks Bitch.. your problem)

BTW... some good advice from someone on here (forgot who mentioned it).. I would watch what is said and posted. What tune??? DELETE..DELETE..DELETE. No need to hand them the tools for a defense. People talk WAY too much.

As much as it sucks now and the near future, this is not the end of the world. What ever you do... STAY IN SCHOOL! You can't let this consume/ruin your life. The only way out of situations like this is to learn and be better ourselves. A buddy of mine flipped his car and his wife lost a finger. $40,000 (in 1990 $$) for medical bills etc. Took them years to pay it off.. no insurance. Think of how bad your financial situation (and future) would be if you caused an injury accident. You would pay for life.. You would NEVER OWN ANYTHING, and your wages/taxes would be garnished forever! How long to rack up a couple HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS in medical expenses not to mention restitution/damages? A 1hr medical life flight will run around what,, $50,000 - $80,000?

$27K sounds bad but it is something you CAN recover from provided you stay focused on your studies. Take this for what it is (or might be).. A very hard and shitty life lesson. We all have them.

Wish you the best man. You are going to have to make some wise choices when dealing with this situation.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
I was actually talking to one of our corporate attorneys today and this thread came up. I asked him what would it take to get a case out of this claiming a manufacturers defect. He responded with, " well first you need adequate proof that the fire was not caused by something foreign to the car...( i.e. aftermarket appliance installed or in the car) then you will need whoever does the inspection to be willing to sign a sworn testimony that nothing was out of the ordinary and that all aspects of fowl play are ruled out." Then a major amount of evidence that this is not a controlled event. And finally lots of patience. Ford produces Thousands of mustangs a year and they are not going to just roll over for one. "

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was actually talking to one of our corporate attorneys today and this thread came up. I asked him what would it take to get a case out of this claiming a manufacturers defect. He responded with, " well first you need adequate proof that the fire was not caused by something foreign to the car...( i.e. aftermarket appliance installed or in the car) then you will need whoever does the inspection to be willing to sign a sworn testimony that nothing was out of the ordinary and that all aspects of fowl play are ruled out." Then a major amount of evidence that this is not a controlled event. And finally lots of patience. Ford produces Thousands of mustangs a year and they are not going to just roll over for one. "

my 2008 F150 caught fire while I was driving it on 12/28/08.

after the investigation, my ins. co. filed a claim with Ford (the investigator signed off on the fire being started by the power steering hose leak that is well documented in mid 2000's F150's) & after numerous letters, delays, deposisions,etc, they won the case & I got my deductable back.

the moral to my post however is that it took until 4/10/12 for Ford to settle, don't look for a quick judgement to get you out of the loan.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
If you can afford a $30,000+ 5.0, you can afford insurance. If you can't afford insurance, go look at lower priced cars.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are 1 or 2 states that do not require insurance. However, I don't know of any lending institution that would let you get away with not having insurance on a liened vehicle. Maryland's MVA will hunt you down if they even suspect you have an uninsured, registered vehicle. Hell, I've had to prove twice that I had insurance on vehicles. They send out random letters requesting proof of insurance, presumably to collect on as many $30/day fines as possible. (Welfare is expensive, donchaknow.)

Even then, if your insurance is over $400 a month because of your driving record, well, you should probably be driving around in an '86 Volvo station wagon instead of a sports car. Jus' sayin'.

Last edited:

whoapony

forum member
Reaction score
I lost my old job and recently got a new one, I only had so much to pay for school, bills, and my car as im a full time med student, bottom line i just couldn't afford paying $465 every month for insurance.

Looks like he did lose his job, I'm gonna give the guy benefit of a doubt and say he was just getting back on his feet with a new one. Overall his situation sucks, best of luck.

Joser281

Reaction score
Not sure why this wasn't addressed and I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but...THAT IS NEVER THE ANSWER.

We can give you shit for poor decision making but it is what it is and there's no point beating yourself up over the past that you cannot change. There are much worse things that happen to people and they manage to make it through. I think I speak for most, if not all, of us on this forum that such a permanent solution should never be applied to such a temporary problem.

+1000

cody2639

forum member
Reaction score
Even then, if your insurance is over $400 a month because of your driving record, well, you should probably be driving around in an '86 Volvo station wagon instead of a sports car. Jus' sayin'.

^^this lol

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
As others have said something doesn't smell right about this. Whatever institution was doing the financing and holding the title, would require insurance to protect themselves. I don't know of any state that doesn't require the insurance company to notify the lien holder if insurance is cancelled.

I also have to agree with Dave this "let someone else pay for my mistakes" philosophy is what's killing this Country.

Earl

Earl,

Not every lender and insurance company is on top of it. The lender for sure does require insurance which he has. But once his insurance is cancelled due to non payment, it's up to the insurance company to notify the lender.

Not all of them do that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back