2013 mustang gt misfire codes?

Mallory Fischer

Reaction score
So i just bought my first mustang, 2013 gt. It has 110k miles on her and is bone stock except for the axle back exhaust i just put on. So when i test drove it there not a single issue. About a week into owning it, I let her rip and there was not a single issue. Did a 6 hour road trip not a sinlge issue. Then last week, in 3rd gear at about 3500rpm i got a flashing check engine light that would go away. Then it was a solid check engine light. I read the codes and it was misfire codes. Figuring its 110k miles i figured the coils and spark plugs have never been changed. So i changed out all 8 (i was mainly getting the codes for cyclinder 1, 2, 3 and 4. Occasionally 6 would be thrown in there.) Went for a test drive and same thing. 3rd gear 3500rpm, flashing engine light. It came and went about 5 times before it became a solid one. So i did some research and found that this is common and theres a TSB 13-01-11? So i guess my question is what do i do about this? How do i relearn the crank position sensor? Do i need to buy that expensive scanner? Can i rent one anywhere? Is there some other way to get rid of these codes that im missing? Absolutely in love with the car, just incredibly frustrated by all this.

Last edited:

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
If your car needs the latest PCM calibration from Ford, like the TSB suggests, then your only option is to take it to a shop, most likely a dealership, and have the computer flashed.

You can buy and rent an IDS interface that plugs into the OBD, but you wouldn't have access to the latest programming from Ford without a subscription. Real IDS tools are about $1500... Chinese knock offs are about 1/10th the price at $100 to $150.
http://www.obd16shop.com/wholesale/...AWzU2uVW5IKcBscx8YLQUD_YVHuumfIxoCkv0QAvD_BwE

Versus

https://fordvcm3ids.com/products/ford-vcm-3-hardware-dealer-kit

You should call a dealership and see if your car would qualify under the emissions warranty, which is usually longer than the powertrain warranty, because the TSB says this is covered under that. Even if you have to pay 1 hour of shop time at $125/ hour it's cheaper than buying a knock of IDS and trying to do it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brian Pater

Reaction score
4D48685B-0966-400A-A9C5-6C93242C2DD5.png Does your crank sensor have the updated o ring installed? If not do that first. If you have a tuning device like ngauge you can do it. It’s easy just follow the prompts. Go to Utube and look up crank relearn.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
My 2013 GT did that once, same thing, lots of random misfire codes. I cleared the codes with a standard OBD II reader and haven't had it happen again since. I have a Ford Performance Products Pro-Cal tune installed in mine, not sure if that makes any difference.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The only device I'm aware of that can do a crank relearn reliably without IDS is the SCT x4.
I guess the big question is why it started all of a sudden. If the crank relearn was never done when it needed to be done due to clutch work, then the issue should have shown up the first time you passed like 4000 rpms. And the Oring mentioned earlier is also important to check.
Know anyone with an X4? Are you anywhere near the PA/NJ/MD area?

Mallory Fischer

Reaction score
My 2013 GT did that once, same thing, lots of random misfire codes. I cleared the codes with a standard OBD II reader and haven't had it happen again since. I have a Ford Performance Products Pro-Cal tune installed in mine, not sure if that makes any difference.

Yeah, all i have is the OBD II reader and have been using it to clear the codes. Any time i hit 3500rpm they come right back sadly.

Mallory Fischer

Reaction score
The only device I'm aware of that can do a crank relearn reliably without IDS is the SCT x4.
I guess the big question is why it started all of a sudden. If the crank relearn was never done when it needed to be done due to clutch work, then the issue should have shown up the first time you passed like 4000 rpms. And the Oring mentioned earlier is also important to check.

Sadly im in Illinois and the only mustang owner in the friend group.

Last edited:

Mallory Fischer

Reaction score
View attachment 73162 Does your crank sensor have the updated o ring installed? If not do that first. If you have a tuning device like ngauge you can do it. It’s easy just follow the prompts. Go to Utube and look up crank relearn.

I have no clue, bought it from a dealership at the end of april. I want to assume no. I was going to just change out the crank sensor, but was scared that it wouldnt start back over because it needs the relearn and I dont have the tuner avaliable

Mallory Fischer

Reaction score
View attachment 73162 Does your crank sensor have the updated o ring installed? If not do that first. If you have a tuning device like ngauge you can do it. It’s easy just follow the prompts. Go to Utube and look up crank relearn.

Do i need the tuner to replace the oring myself or is as easy as removing the crank postion sensor, putting the new o ring on and then turning the car over?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score

I wonder if my FRPP Pro-Cal tuner can do this?

Back