2014 GT mt-82-- skips 3rd gear?

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread... Newb Manual guy checking in again.

So, I've practically mastered normal day-to-day driving and can drive the car smooth. Minimal clunking and jerking, other than the normal 2pc driveshaft clunks.

I've got 1,200mi of drive time in now, and decided to do some WOT pulls for the 1st time this weekend after my first oil change.

I did a 1st gear roll with TCS off, nailing it at 3000rpm in 1st. I tried to shift to second at 6500 or so and.... locked out. It was like the shifter hit a brick wall. I pressed the clutch to the floor.

I tried it again. Same thing

I tried it a 3rd time-- finally got it. I literally had to shift slower than my grandmother to get it into 2nd.

Any thoughts? I heard somebody say that under WOT, dont worry about pressing the clutch in all the way? Does that have anything to do with it?

I just may be the first idiot on earth to miss second gear.

PNB92

Reaction score
Had the same problem when I got my mustang after driving exclusively germans my whole life. You'll get used to it. I generally just push straight up for third. don't push right at all or you'll end up in fifth. Same goes for downshifting from 5th to 4th, dont push left or you'll end up in 2nd.

I'm bumping this thread... Newb Manual guy checking in again.

So, I've practically mastered normal day-to-day driving and can drive the car smooth. Minimal clunking and jerking, other than the normal 2pc driveshaft clunks.

I've got 1,200mi of drive time in now, and decided to do some WOT pulls for the 1st time this weekend after my first oil change.

I did a 1st gear roll with TCS off, nailing it at 3000rpm in 1st. I tried to shift to second at 6500 or so and.... locked out. It was like the shifter hit a brick wall. I pressed the clutch to the floor.

I tried it again. Same thing

I tried it a 3rd time-- finally got it. I literally had to shift slower than my grandmother to get it into 2nd.

Any thoughts? I heard somebody say that under WOT, dont worry about pressing the clutch in all the way? Does that have anything to do with it?

I just may be the first idiot on earth to miss second gear.

apparently the Barton bracket fixes this. The transmission can move around a lot under very hard acceleration and cause you to miss 2nd or 3rd. new tranny fluid helps too. all upgrades that I need to apply to my own car.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
You need to push the clutch in all the way anytime you're making a shift.

this is not entirely true. You can shift without using the clutch at all. Upshifts are easier than down. As long as the engine is at the right speed for the next gear, the synchros will match up and you'll go right in.

Upshifting, no clutch- pull shifter out of gear while simultaneously giving a little gas. Let off gas. Move shifter to next gear, but don't put it in gear. Apply gentle pressure to shifter, when you feel synchros match up, push the shifter into gear. Higher gears are easier. This is not a fast method.

Downshifting is harder, as you need to rev match. It really isn't a good idea, but it can be done.

If your timing is perfect, you can shift really quickly at high rpm's with just a kick/tap of the clutch. If you don't get it right...you'll know.

Hand-filer

Reaction score
this is not entirely true. You can shift without using the clutch at all. Upshifts are easier than down. As long as the engine is at the right speed for the next gear, the synchros will match up and you'll go right in.

Upshifting, no clutch- pull shifter out of gear while simultaneously giving a little gas. Let off gas. Move shifter to next gear, but don't put it in gear. Apply gentle pressure to shifter, when you feel synchros match up, push the shifter into gear. Higher gears are easier. This is not a fast method.

Downshifting is harder, as you need to rev match. It really isn't a good idea, but it can be done.

If your timing is perfect, you can shift really quickly at high rpm's with just a kick/tap of the clutch. If you don't get it right...you'll know.

LOL, you do it your way and we'll do it the right way by using the clutch for what it was intended for.

SCreemer

Reaction score

Call me strange, but I believe every one new to manual cars should try this out a few times. It really gives you a feel for gear spacing and matching revs to vehicle speed. :thumb2:

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
6 speed cars are notorious and this one defintely doesn't like being forced. However, with a simple shifter bracket and a better shift knob (if you have the "thumb") you can make a huge difference.

I shift with 2 fingers and open palm most of the time. With just a tiny bit more focus and direction at the track, my fully loaded car goes 11s with no powershifting.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
LOL, you do it your way and we'll do it the right way by using the clutch for what it was intended for.
The right way? There once was a time when you only used the clutch to get the car into first from a dead stop, and that was before synchro-mesh transmissions. When youre clutch was made out of cork, you wanted to use it as little as possible:
Clutch1.jpg

If youre good you can drive around all day hardly ever touching the clutch.
But its okay if youre afraid of new things. :dunce:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
^holy jesus' first car repair batman!!!!

Just want to say that my 3650 sucks.. thank you.

lol.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Quite a few years back I drove a 4x4 Weapons Carrier. The engine would usually start in first or reverse gear (always on warm days), and you could drive it anywhere without using the clutch. Most times you could change gears with a swift kick at the lever. The trick was to shut the engine off at just the right time so the vehicle stopped in the perfect spot.

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
I'll throw this one out there, too. MGW Shifters are worth their money. 2-3, the spring will center it perfectly and just push forward. 1-2, just pull back and to the left... back and to the left. You should get to the point where you stomp the clutch in and right back out, and slip 1st straight into 2nd.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
Just practice. My MT-82 shifts great with Barton shifter and bracket. I leave the line and keep the gas pedal smashed to the floor until I go through the traps at the end of the quarter mile. Make sure you jab the clutch all the way to the floor quickly and lift up just as quickly on each gear change. Pull or push on the shifter as hard as you can before you jab the clutch. It will not come out of gear while you're at full throttle. As soon as you jab the clutch though, BAM you're instantly in the next gear. My next mod will be the Whiteline insert.

Last edited:

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
$.02 as follows

My experience driving a manual is limited, had an 86 GT 5M for about a year, and now my '13 GT 6M a bit over a year...I have been locked out of 4th, but never 2nd or 3rd, and its only been twice, once on my best pass on stock pirelli's which I'm sure cost me at least 2 tenths...

SD_Stang

Reaction score
I just got a 14 last month so I've had a little time on it now and the only time it doesn't like going into 3rd and chooses 5th seems to be if your in neutral and try to find 3rd quickly (only happend to me once). In general the stock shifter should be easy to shift. Agressive driving is bad with the stock shifter though I'm adding a BMR K Member and the Whiteline tranny mount hopefully that clears up any shifting issues without the need for an aftermarket shifter.

WytHorse

forum member
Reaction score
skip shift in the 11 and 12 cars was only a change from 1-2...the gate for 2 would be blocked and forced a 1-4 shift - dumbest shit I've ever seen in my life

OP - the difficulty getting into 2nd at high rpms is very common - had it on my '12 and on my '13.

no you don't HAVE to use the clutch to shift, but in this car when you do use it, get in the habit of making certain it does hit the floor and you will get much smoother shifting! Like was suggested about muscle memory for 2-3 shift, build muscle memory for the clutch. as soft/uncertain as the pedal feels, its very easy to not be fully disengaged if you aren't paying attention. I remember the days of my ranger, could go 2-3-4-5 with no clutching and it was quite easy, but this car is much more difficult to do that with...maybe bc of close gear ratios and wanting to rev it more before the next shift...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back