2015 Mustang?

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
"The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall."

I can't imagine a mustang looking like an aston martin....I don't care for the Evos concept car, and personally, I would be thrilled to own any mustang from 05-13. Muscle cars are interesting because they are virtually timeless, they appeal to all generations.

I'm a younger guy, but I would love to own a 70's era muscle car without a doubt. In fact, one of the things I like about the current mustangs are that they have the aggressive looks and strong power, but also have very good handling and nice interiors. I think it would be a shame for them to stray too far from the retro styling.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I am extremely happy i got a 2011 GT. I really think Ford is going to miss the mark on this.

But, i think sales will be good just because "its the next big thing".

They keep referencing the Fusion, which isn't a bad looking car, but it's not something i think one would want to base a mustang on.

I keep having visions of a bigger Hyundai genesis coupe with a running pony on it in my head. This disturbs me.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WTF does MSN know about automobiles? Every website, magazine, or two-bit blog has some "artist rendering" of what they thing the next Pony Car will look like. They all look like shit, and none of them is probably even close.

AF09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with you Sky. IMO, I do not think Ford should completly do away with the currenty styling of the Mustang. The S197 body style is what drew me to Mustangs, even more so now with the 2013 body.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
I hate how they pin every bad automotive styling trend on the Gen Y market. I am 26 and the only people I see driving Scion XBs, Nissan Cubes, Kia Soul, and every other "youth" car are old people. The S197 is such a great departure from other cars because it pulls off the retro look much better than other "retro cars" with the possible exception of the Challenger. The S197 does the retro look without being too obnoxious either, unlike the BMW Mini.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate how they pin every bad automotive styling trend on the Gen Y market. I am 26 and the only people I see driving Scion XBs, Nissan Cubes, Kia Soul, and every other "youth" car are old people. The S197 is such a great departure from other cars because it pulls off the retro look much better than other "retro cars" with the possible exception of the Challenger. The S197 does the retro look without being too obnoxious either, unlike the BMW Mini.

This is true. I'm 28 and wouldn't be caught dead in an xB, Cube, or Soul.

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
I've always loved Aston Martins. I have no problem with them going in that direction as long as it retains some toughness like a Mustang.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
im sure its going to go to more of the "kinetic" design, but I doubt anyone has a clue what it will look like till spy photos show up

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this for the longest time, until I saw several fox 6's for sale online... but he is correct. Were they 3.4's or 2.8's...??

There was a 2.8 and a 3.8 V6 option. My mother had a 1985 3.8 V6 hatchback with the C5 auto trans. The 3.8 V6 at the time was CFI and it was the first year you could get a V8 with fuel injection if you got the auto trans model.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
yes they did.. both inline and V6 depending on year.

Nor was a Mustang ever front wheel drive. That comment was in reference when Ford basically announced the next gen Mustang would be the Probe back in 1993.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
For 2015 here are the things I'd want to see in the Mustang:

• 5.0 V8 model with 425+ Horsepower and TR-6060 transmission(without that funky remote linkage) that weighs 3350 lbs or less.
  • Keep the 3.7 V6 and do a slight power bump to 335 HP and/or offer a turbo 4 cylinder model with 275+ HP(just like the Ford Explorer America). Also have the Turbo4/V6 cars weigh 3350 lbs or less.
  • If a turbo 4 EcoBoost model is available have two different power(boost) settings based on the octane of gasoline you are using. Of course have it detect the octane automatically. Its good marketing if the economy version of the Mustang can run regular unleaded.
  • Front mount intercooler from the factory on a turbo 4 EcoBoost model.
  • Factory Brembo brake option and Recaro seat option on both the Turbo4/V6 and 5.0 V8 models.
  • Performance package option that includes adjustable Tokiko or Koni shocks form the factory. The '84 SVO had adjsutable Konis, why can't modern Mustangs have them too?
  • The ability to have at least three different traction control and stability control settings including one of them being totally off.
  • Several different ring&pinion ratios available from the factory on all models.
  • Upgrade the rear brakes to something more than a small single piston setup.
  • 18x10 or 19x10" wide wheels on all 4 corners with 275 or 285 width tires as a factory option.
  • Close to 50/50 weight balance.
  • Kelyess start and driver's power seat memory tied into the key fob as a luxury option.
  • Bluetooth phone integration standard from the factory. Also the ability to play MP3's over Bluetooth would be nice.
  • USB stereo input for MP3 files standard from the factory.
  • Have the stereo high enough up in the dash that the factory optional NAV can be used without taking your eyes off the road for a long time.
  • HUD displaying GPS/NAV info, vehicle speed, and RPM if the factory NAV screen can't be placed high up in the dash. Also if the HUD displays RPM, have the RPM display turn red at redline before the rev limiter.
  • Automatic climate control as a factory option.

The Mustang has to keep its current fans and also appeal to younger buyers along with the people who can't yet afford the sporty, but more expensive, European cars. Adding more technology, performance, and comfort/convenience options will appeal to a wider variety of buyers.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I dont feel you'll ever see a TR6060 in a Coyote. You'd need to gear it to 4.10+ just to maintain the same rate of acceleration.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I dont feel you'll ever see a TR6060 in a Coyote. You'd need to gear it to 4.10+ just to maintain the same rate of acceleration.

If you make the car a little smaller and weigh 3350 lbs, like I mentioned above, it will be just as fast or faster with the TR-6060 with the same ring & pinion ratio as a 2012 while getting better fuel economy.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Their rationale is flawed.

If they believe that new buyers don't like the retro looks then why are they lamenting sales of the Camaro and Challenger which are also retro in design?

As someone else pointed out people buying Mustangs today aren't just folks who grew up with the '64.5 or '65 cars. Many younger folks (with good taste) just like the design... period.

But what about new "generation y" car buyers? They should know that the same market that prefers the Japanese/Euro styling is also going to be repulsed by the Mustang name. The same crowd also tends to be repelled by American cars just as a matter of bias. I think that "selling-out" the Mustang will only anger the base following.

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
I don't see the weight down at 3350. Look at all the things you have to do to a Vette to get it to that weight. Carbon fiber this, aluminum that. Way too expensive for an entry level car.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I don't see the weight down at 3350. Look at all the things you have to do to a Vette to get it to that weight. Carbon fiber this, aluminum that. Way too expensive for an entry level car.

The 2005 GT with no options was ~3350 lbs. empty. My 2005 with a bunch of options is about 3400 lbs. with the gas tank nearly empty. The 2011 Ballooned up to 3600+ lbs. empty. If the Mustang is made to be a little smaller and designed to be light, then its possible to make a 3350 lb Mustang GT. Look at how light some of the recent AWD Subarus are. The 2011 WRX STI is under 3400 lbs. and that's with 4 doors and AWD. The V6 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is under 3390 lbs with the 19" wheels and Brembo brakes.

The Corvette Z06 Carbon is between 3175 and 3210 lbs depending on options. I wouldn't expect the Mustang to weight 3200 lbs. like the Z06 Carbon and meet modern crash test standards. However, 3350 lbs. shouldn't be an issue if the car is a little smaller.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
Their rationale is flawed.

If they believe that new buyers don't like the retro looks then why are they lamenting sales of the Camaro and Challenger which are also retro in design?

As someone else pointed out people buying Mustangs today aren't just folks who grew up with the '64.5 or '65 cars. Many younger folks (with good taste) just like the design... period.

But what about new "generation y" car buyers? They should know that the same market that prefers the Japanese/Euro styling is also going to be repulsed by the Mustang name. The same crowd also tends to be repelled by American cars just as a matter of bias. I think that "selling-out" the Mustang will only anger the base following.

Well said doc, I totally agree.(and I am a part of the "Generation Y")

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back