Reaction score
Sneak Peak

picture.php

Norm

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
n......

Sounds much easier to just use the manufacturer's recommended widths, and play it safe. Find a company that designs a width you want for the rim width you have so you're covered.

Why do suppose this is not obvious? Amazing that people think they know better than the manufacturer. Maybe the manufacturer just doesn't want you to buy their tire.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's looking very good Norm. How are you simulating the ground force and bulge?

Matt

Also how are you controlling the shape of the bulge? I am quite certain that the makeup of the tire sidewall helps control the side wall shape of the tire. Also what about the thickness of the rubber at the sidewall tread connection area? How is that represented in your diagrams?

I like the diagrams. They help you visualize. But something doesn't look 100% accurate.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It's only supposed to give a somewhat better picture than the ones you see on the online pages that never move the sidewalls out of being vertical/parallel to each other or widen the section width as wheel width is increased.

The loaded vs unloaded page is only intended to indicate something about sidewall flexing for a given tire:wheel combination. On another page in the same workbook, comparisons between two different (unloaded) tire:wheel packages overlaid on the same chart are plotted.

I have not attempted to model any curvature up near the wheel flange or at the shoulder areas. Doesn't seem worth the trouble, or the questions that might arise should adjacent curves show a sharp discontinuity. The sidewall is already a composite of two curves, which is adequate for the intended purposes.

The loaded shape in that plot uses a specified displacement approach with the (approximate) length along the unloaded-case sidewall being essentially maintained rather than a flexibility analysis based on forces and element stiffnesses. The assumption being that the fabric-reinforced and pressurized tire is not particularly compressible within the shape of its membrane.

It's not intended to be the shape under only the static corner weight, more like 75% or so higher as you'd see going over a smallish bump, front tires under severe braking, or outside tires under a pretty good cornering load, minus the lateral deflection (I've got autocross pictures that show considerably greater vertical compression of the tire section height). [Edit]Maybe even if the inflation pressure really was 10 psi or so. I'm not all that concerned with the reason at this point.

I'm still tinkering with it a little, but in checking against some actual static situations the amounts that the max section widths bulge out beyond the face of the wheel seem to be within 1/8" or so.

Norm

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Anyone know if I'll run into issues with a 295/35/19 with a 19x10 +38 wheel on the rear?

Same 19x10 +38 wheel on the front but with a 275/35/19

Thanks!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Imagine a 2008 GT500.

Your clearance on the inside would be about the same (front and rear), but the outside of the wheel and the tire would be something like 9/16" further out on the fronts and about half an inch further out on the rears. A bit closer than I'd care to call from here without making measurements to the fenders, particularly the fronts.

Norm

Last edited:

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
The 295 weighs 5lbs more than the 275. Sounds like a lot of extra mass, but it does look bitchin!

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
i was gonna use some gt4 wheels 10 in, i dont know the offset on them but how wide can i get them i was gonna use nittos nto5rs

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I'm planning on 18x10 Forgestar f14's (Silver, NOT BLACK) with 295/35/18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's (Not too popular with the mustang crowd but awesome tires, especially for the price) on all four corners.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I've got 295 on a 10" wheel right now and it feels really well. I think it should be just fine on a 9.5" like you said.

My next set-up will be 19x9.5 sve's all around in 295/35/19s. I just hope i dont rub being dropped on sportlines.

Is your car currently on 18's? (pic in your signature). Are those 18x10's out back with 295/35/18's? What tire are you running?

flyfaster1

Reaction score
Poor fella lost control getting into it and nailed a wall and brick or concrete pillar pretty freakin hard... car didnt fair too well from his pics but glad the dude made it out alright.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back