3.15's w/28 inch rear tire?

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Well....even Mike told me to go back to the 3.15's so i did...

Though i have not been back to the track yet i have used my G-Tech and last time at the track with the G-Tech it showed 12.39 and the actual ET was 12.54... this was with the 3.73 gears-

Here are two photos of the G-Tech so i'm heading in the right direction and this car is pretty much stock with a Mike R Tune and Sunoco 93-

These times were in 80+ degree Orlando Heat...

I feel Confident i can get into the High 11's without the expense of a converter,and once ready i will get a Circle D converter and hopefully drop into the 11.70 zone or so....

Bottom line if you have 3.15's or 3.31's Keep them in my opinion-

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 6
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 5

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Good for you. Now hopefully we can put to bed that these cars need any gear to be effective as it's been proven time and time again.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Good for you. Now hopefully we can put to bed that these cars need any gear to be effective as it's been proven time and time again.

You think running low to mid 12's proves that 3.15's are the right gear? Dude, I spent my evening at our local dragstrip running a bunch of 11.7's and 11.8's with my car while you guys think and hope you might get into the 11's some day.

The "right" gearing for a Coyote automatic can vary depending on the other mods on the car. Simply stating that 3.15's are the right gear for all Coyote automatics is naïve and reckless. Plenty of quick Coyote automatics are running 3.73 and 4.10 gears. Plenty run 3.15's and 3.31's, as well. Again, depends on the supporting mods. Just check the 1/4 mile drag list here in the forums if you don't want to take my word for it. Better yet, get off the internet and get out to real racetracks and see it for yourself.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Brian, you have a converter, he doesn't. Your not comparing apples to apples now are you? You're the perfect example of more isn't always better.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 3.73's and an auto, no converter. I agree with Brian, its all about the combo of parts.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
12.2 to 11.9 in 2700 da. 90+ texas heat. Car 60 ft was 2.0 and dropped to 1.8

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I was just thinking about gearing today. Glad I didn't have to search. Right here on top. Always good to have a refresher. Otherwise we should just lock this forum down and make it a database only.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
And what are your times with the 3.73's? What gains did you have going from 3.73's from 3.15's?

Grabber Blue 5.0, just curious what your times have been at the dragstrip. Your car is much more heavily modded than mine, so you should be running low 11's @ 120+ at this point. Post up some timeslips for us, please.

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Went to the track tonight...Got 2 passes in could have done a Lot more but i was getting 1.75 of knock and it had me concerned a bit.....
1st pass off idle and ran a 1.94 60FT and [email protected] MPH, Second run i switched tunes because of the knock to a revised tune from Mike and this time i held the rev's us to 1,500 rpm's and ran a 1.90 60FT and a [email protected] MPH and again 1.75 of knock...
I was really hoping to run a 12.25 or better and the night got cool quickly but the knock held me back from running a 3rd time...i data logged both runs and will email them to Mike Monday morning so he can review them and advise me....
I am getting a fatal error when i try to upload the photos of the time slips...any idea how to get past that error?
Link to the time slips on another forum...i hope this is ok to do?
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/drag-racing/757305-3-15s-w-28-inch-rear-tire.html

Last edited:

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Grabber Blue 5.0, just curious what your times have been at the dragstrip. Your car is much more heavily modded than mine, so you should be running low 11's @ 120+ at this point. Post up some timeslips for us, please.

My best is 11.2 but I'm usually consistently in the 11.4 range. And no my car is not more modded than yours.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My best is 11.2 but I'm usually consistently in the 11.4 range. And no my car is not more modded than yours.

You have a boss intake, long tube headers, and a shitload of aftermarket suspension. My engine is 100% stock, my entire suspension is 100% stock, I'm running factory exhaust manifolds, etc. Your car breathes much better than mine and car get the power down better with the suspension mods.

I'd still love to see some timeslips from you to see which of your mods would work best on my car.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
You think running low to mid 12's proves that 3.15's are the right gear? Dude, I spent my evening at our local dragstrip running a bunch of 11.7's and 11.8's with my car while you guys think and hope you might get into the 11's some day.

The "right" gearing for a Coyote automatic can vary depending on the other mods on the car. Simply stating that 3.15's are the right gear for all Coyote automatics is naïve and reckless. Plenty of quick Coyote automatics are running 3.73 and 4.10 gears. Plenty run 3.15's and 3.31's, as well. Again, depends on the supporting mods. Just check the 1/4 mile drag list here in the forums if you don't want to take my word for it. Better yet, get off the internet and get out to real racetracks and see it for yourself.

Most of us don't care to post up our numbers. My best with 3.73 was a 11.66 @116. With 3.15 was 11.60@116. I made about 40 passes with 3.73 I literally gained nothing except for lack of traction.
In my experience the 3.73 were a waste of time. The only reason we did it was my buddy owns a shop and had some sitting there and said let's try them. We took them out and he had used 3.31s it would run 11.6s all day. We get it you like your gearing but for a majority of us that don't have stellar track prep the gears are a waste of time and money.

Stigma

forum member
Reaction score
Most of us don't care to post up our numbers. My best with 3.73 was a 11.66 @116. With 3.15 was 11.60@116. I made about 40 passes with 3.73 I literally gained nothing except for lack of traction.
In my experience the 3.73 were a waste of time. The only reason we did it was my buddy owns a shop and had some sitting there and said let's try them. We took them out and he had used 3.31s it would run 11.6s all day. We get it you like your gearing but for a majority of us that don't have stellar track prep the gears are a waste of time and money.
Pretty impressive times! Who's tune are you using? And what are your shift points? Thanks

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back