Looking for Autocross Tire Advice

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Had my second event this past weekend and am really loving this sport. I recently picked up a set of Enkei 18x9.5 +45 wheels and am now on the search for the right tires.

These will only be used to drive to and from the autocross and of course to race on. About 150 miles round trip.

I will be running in a 200TW group.

Looks like the choices are slim and just need some advice and hear what you folks have to say.

I am pretty low currently with Sportline springs so giving up inches due to tire size may be kind of sketchy, like I will probably have to build a ramp to get out of my driveway. Good chance down the road I swap these springs out, but for now its what I got.

Here is a list I have put together from hours of searching:

Current - 285/35/19 Nitto Invo

RE71 - 275/35/18

RE11 - 275/40/18

RS4 - 275/40/18 OR 285/35/18

Rival - 275/35/18

I am leaning towards the 285/35 RS4's.

Appreciate the feedback!

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, any of those choices will work and they would work slightly better on 10" wide wheels.
Rival S's seem to perform better in higher temps where RE71's like it cooler, RS4's fall in the middle of those two.
Our cars are HEAVY, so, plan for 11" wide wheels and 305's or 315's if your searching for every last bit of available grip.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Honestly, any of those choices will work and they would work slightly better on 10" wide wheels.
Rival S's seem to perform better in higher temps where RE71's like it cooler, RS4's fall in the middle of those two.
Our cars are HEAVY, so, plan for 11" wide wheels and 305's or 315's if your searching for every last bit of available grip.

The wheels kind of fell in my lap, a friend offered his to me for a great price that I literally could not refuse. Figured they would be perfect along with some great tires to learn with during my first year.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
All of those would be good. My bridgestone's lasted for a hundred and fifty dry laps and about 6000 Street mile.

PS I had to spray the tires with water between runs, especially with 2 drivers

JJ427R

Reaction score
Has anyone on here tried the Mickey Thompson Street Comps? I see they are one of the cheaper performance tires, curious how they are?

travelers

Reaction score
Has anyone on here tried the Mickey Thompson Street Comps? I see they are one of the cheaper performance tires, curious how they are?

I have the 255 19s up front and 285/305 19s on the back and they work good in both wet and dry. Rear traction is good if I'm not into the boost. My car is also lowered and has the relocation brackets with the LCAs in the middle hole. I hope this helps.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I have the 255 19s up front and 285/305 19s on the back and they work good in both wet and dry. Rear traction is good if I'm not into the boost. My car is also lowered and has the relocation brackets with the LCAs in the middle hole. I hope this helps.
Have you run them on the track, how are they in heavy cornering?

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Michelin Pilot Super Sports... The TW is what you are asking for and you can daily drive them and AutoX competitively... The sport cup 2 might be another option.. I think the TW is 200 on those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Michelin Pilot Super Sports... The TW is what you are asking for and you can daily drive them and AutoX competitively... The sport cup 2 might be another option.. I think the TW is 200 on those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There's "competitively" and then there's competitively.
To top the leader board, you either run the rivals 1.5 or the re71r.

Interesting point on the difference between tires. On the new spec SSSSC class that requires the falken 615k tires, it is over a second slower on a 60 sec course vs the re71r. That is a huge difference. Both 200tw tires

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back