HPDE tire selection (lighter wheels thread offshoot)

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
This will likely be a long post, so sit back, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy.

Tracks in this study:Watkins Glen long course, Summit point main course.
Tires 245 40 18 Hankook ventus, 285 35 19 R888R.
Best lap WGI: 2:16 on Hankook 2:19 on R888R.
Best lap at Summit:1:26 on Hankook, 1:28 on R888R
Camber is -1.9, suspension is Roush 427R shocks and springs.
Laptimes are duplicated in several sessions at both tracks. Laps timed by TrackAddict.

To be fair, I would say 2:18 vs 2:20 at WGI, 1:27 vs 1:28 at Summit (Hankook vs R888R) removing the single best lap from the study. As this is what I "settled in" at through out the days.

Clearly you can see how much smaller the Hankooks are. I got a smoking deal on them, knew they were on the small side, but how can you pass up a deal at $85/tire? Budget does matter when it comes to doing these events. I wouldn't be in a mustang if I was independently wealthy.

As I stated before, tire COMPOUND is more important than tire SIZE. Now, the smaller DIAMETER tire offers two advantages over the larger diameter tire. Lower gearing and better braking. This was painfully evident as Porshes were killing me under braking.

So you can see why I was dissapointed with the larger tire that I went slower on.
The tire wear on the R888Rs is about 550 track miles in 3 HPDE days. (2 WGI, 1 Summit)

I'm not adding camber to fit a 305 on the car, that's what the camber clan guys do. This is NOT a race car. It is a street car, that gets to see some track time.

I should PM someone here as to how Terry will chime in and tell me about all my mistakes. As I have a pretty good idea what is coming! lmao

IMG_20200819_123608235.jpg

IMG_20200819_123649074.jpg

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Forgot to add: 13 inch 11-14 gt brakes w/dtc60 pads.

JJ427R

Reaction score
suspension is Rousch 427R shocks and springs
Drop the c in Roush. ;)
I'm surprised at that much time difference between those two tires, 3 seconds a lap at WGI is huge, great info.

I did not notice that much difference in times between my previous Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and the current Firestones I have. Actually had very similar lap times at Road America. I do however like the feel of the Firestones a bit better, and they are a little quieter on the highway.

Curious how you like that suspension? I have the same in my car obviously being a 427r and I've been very happy with it. Couple of instructors that have ridden with me at BIR were quite impressed with my car compared to other similar mustangs they have been in.

I used the Hawk DTC30 front and HP+ pads rear and they worked well in July at RA, somehow I warped a front rotor on the second day though. Do you have any brake ducting?

JJ427R

Reaction score
You also make a great point about the diameter of the tire making a difference in gearing and braking. Those larger tires also make a huge difference in how much pad and rotor you also need to accommodate the larger tires. Too much tire for your brake and your going to eat up brakes. Too much brake for the tire and you'll flat spot your tires.

In my situation I have no ducting, I'm running 20" wheels and have an automatic with no downshifting ability, so I believe I'm much harder on brakes/rotors. I melted the seals on my original 2 piston front calipers, so upgrade to larger 14" rotors and StopTech 4 piston. I still have the factory calipers and Roush slotted rotors on the rear, but have also melted and replaced those calipers 2 times a well, I need to upgrade to larger GT 500 rotors on the rear.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I am very happy with the Roush stuff. Exactly what I was hoping for, decent on the street, and works well on track.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
How much camber are you actually running?

I don't add more negative camber for my "track set", nor do I dial any out when running the "street set".

Norm
My statement was more towards fitting a wider tire needing more camber to clear fender.
There are 2 reasons I would add camber:
1 more lateral grip
OR
2 uneven tire wear.
My tire wear is perfect as it is, not killing either edge of front tires. And, I have no more adjustment left. Maxxed out the Steeda CC plates and locked it down. Set the toe and called it done.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
This will likely be a long post, so sit back, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy.

Laptimes are duplicated in several sessions at both tracks. Laps timed by TrackAddict.

To be fair, I would say 2:18 vs 2:20 at WGI, 1:27 vs 1:28 at Summit (Hankook vs R888R) removing the single best lap from the study. As this is what I "settled in" at through out the days.

Clearly you can see how much smaller the Hankooks are. I got a smoking deal on them, knew they were on the small side, but how can you pass up a deal at $85/tire? Budget does matter when it comes to doing these events. I wouldn't be in a mustang if I was independently wealthy.

As I stated before, tire COMPOUND is more important than tire SIZE. Now, the smaller DIAMETER tire offers two advantages over the larger diameter tire. Lower gearing and better braking. This was painfully evident as Porshes were killing me under braking.

So you can see why I was dissapointed with the larger tire that I went slower on.
The tire wear on the R888Rs is about 550 track miles in 3 HPDE days. (2 WGI, 1 Summit)

I'm not adding camber to fit a 305 on the car, that's what the camber clan guys do. This is NOT a race car. It is a street car, that gets to see some track time.

I should PM someone here as to how Terry will chime in and tell me about all my mistakes. As I have a pretty good idea what is coming! lmao

View attachment 74136

View attachment 74137
Good stuff, Juice.
Thanks for sharing!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
My statement was more towards fitting a wider tire needing more camber to clear fender.
That's what I figured you meant, but I wasn't sure.

I read right past where you mentioned -1.9°. Sorry.

The extra inch taller is costing you about the same amount of acceleration up through that dropping back to 3.55's from 3.73's and holding tire size constant would.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The gearing variance between the two tires was painfully obvious by my shift points/gear used on track. Especially at the shorter Summit point main circuit.
With the smaller tire, I would upshift to 4th after T1 and back to 3rd entering T5. I was back to 4th at T7.(as seen in my Summit vid)
With the larger tire, I stayed in 3rd from the exit of T1 all the way to T9 and shift before the overpass. And run 4th through T10 and the front straight. Thats how much the difference is between those two tires.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

So, this is on your "2007 base (Mustang, with a) 2013 5.0 TiCVT, Magnum XL, 3.73s 393RWTQ/404RWHP", correct?

Of course I'm going to say 245mm tires are too small, but Hankook is SO much better than Toyo R888R I'm not surprised they are faster. Toyo and Nitto are JUUUUUUUUNK. Nobody serious uses these for time trial for a reason. I'd take small Hankook Ventus every time.

Your front camber is definitely lacking at only -1.9 deg. Shoot for -2.5 to -3.0 deg, even with that tiny 245mm tire.

I looked up some comparable lap times, to see where you are at. TrackAddict and any phone app timer is a bit questionable, but its what you have, so we'll trust those numbers.

Lap times:

A/Sedan is more of a race car, but they are really down on power and have some funky SCCA rules. IMSA Grand Sport is on some fairly hard tires, but you are faster than the latest Multimatic S550 there. It sounds like your car is closer to a TT3 car than anything else. The problem is that the NE Region of NASA has badly out of date lap records, but the 2:00 lap time seems a bit on the fast side - this is a fast benchmark for GRM's UTCC, held there annually. This time was set at the 2016 NASA National Championships, which were held there, and brought the fastest cars in the nation. Probably set on wider Hoosier A7s, and it would have had aero, so there isn't a great apples-to-apples comparison there.

Long story short - 2:16 isn't setting any NASA track records, but is faster than the latest GS race winner (2:16) or the fastest Mustang (2:18) there, so it isn't too shabby. Especially for 245s!

Fair point, and for HPDE, budget is always important. $85 R-compound tires are hard to ignore!

As I stated before, tire COMPOUND is more important than tire SIZE.
Well yes, I don't think anyone will argue with that. But you are comparing to one of the worst tire models on the 285, the Toyo R888R. The Toyo is so bad that in many classes that DO allow a 60TW or 100TW tire (GL Time Attack and GTA), most racers are still racing on "200TW" tires. The R888R Toyo is considerably slower than the RE-71R, Kumho ACR, or A052.

Now, the smaller DIAMETER tire offers two advantages over the larger diameter tire. Lower gearing and better braking. This was painfully evident as Porshes were killing me under braking.
Tire height is always part of the equation. As is total wheel/tire weight. Both of the wheels you are using are OEM style cast wheels, to heavy. But the 19" wheel and taller 285/35/19 tire are probably 5-8 pounds heavier than the 18" wheel and Hankook 245.

So you can see why I was dissapointed with the larger tire that I went slower on. The tire wear on the R888Rs is about 550 track miles in 3 HPDE days. (2 WGI, 1 Summit)
Again, not a surprise with as turrible as the Toyo R888R is.

Well the more tire width and grip you make, the more static camber you need to compensate for bushing deflection and added body roll. These two things go hand in hand. There is no one "magic camber setting" just like there is no one "magic tire pressure". But even with just a 245mm Hankook I suspect you'd see more even temp spread over the tread with -2.5 deg. Take some tire temps and see for yourself.

And to counter your point that this "is just a street car" you are running Hankook R-compound racer tires. With adjustable camber plates you could swap between street and track camber settings in "ones of minutes". Your shoulder wear didn't look awful but I suspect if you showed an in-corner picture of the outside front tire it would be at zero camber or worse.

B61G9537-L.jpg

This is a 2006 GT on 18x11" wheels and 315/30/18 tires. Even with -3.5 deg of static camber and MCS coilovers, loaded up in a corner on an autocross the outside front tire is "out of camber". And a radial tire likes a bit of negative camber when fully loaded, for optimum grip and wear. You don't need obscene amounts of camber to fit an 11" wide wheel, but the tires want more camber as they get wider and stickier...

I should PM someone here as to how Terry will chime in and tell me about all my mistakes.
Hehe, I do monitor this page so you don't have to PM anyone. Gotta counter the "tech" coming from a few HPDE champions that troll this place with bad advice. ;)

Again, I've pointed out that the R888R is a bad tire many times (a 3rd tire street tire). Your data backs this up, getting punished by 3 seconds from a 245mm Hankook (which is a 2nd tier R compound) that is 30mm narrower. Guess what? A wider Hankoon Ventus would be faster still. ;)

CIMG0732-S.jpg
CIMG0731-S.jpg

Funny story: we went to the UTCC event at Buttonwillow in 2008 with one of our first BMW E36 LS swapped cars. We ran a 275mm Hankook R-compounds on the 17x11" wheels we normally used, thinking that since Hankook sponsored the event we should run their tires. Wow, what a mistake! Our times were kind of sad (we started top 10, then began slipping) until we threw on two old 305 Hoosiers we had in the truck. Just putting these worn out Hoosiers on the rear dropped our times 3 seconds over sticker Hankook R-compounds. Regret not bringing 4 fresh Hoosiers!

i-32fmRqc-L.jpg

So of course compound matters. But... I would wager that a 315mm A7 would lop off a solid 8 seconds off the 245mm Hankook's time, possibly more. But A7 wear is much worse than Hankook, and the cost is a lot more than $85 per. ;)

i-6TmJLXk-L.jpg

Once you taste the purple crack there's NO GOIN BACK!

For HPDE, keep doing what you're doing. Add a tick of camber (again, take some tire temps using a below surface pyrometer probe) and that data will likely back up the -2.5 deg recommendation. Once you can afford wider wheels and tires you WILL drop loads of time, that's just how this all works. :)

If you care about getting by on minimal budget more than lap times, then don't change anything, and ignore everything I post.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the 2007 with the 2013 junkyard pull (ebay) coyote.

Honest answer, appreciate it.

So, additional camber would require additional hardware. Steeda "additional 1 degree camber cc plate" is maxxed out. I could add camber bolts, but I am getting decent tire wear IMO. And regularly drive the car on the street. I have -2.6 camber in my 91, and it is still ok on the street.
Funny thing about the R888Rs, as I felt like I drove pretty hard, and had fun at it. Good grip, lateral Gs maybe .05-ish less than the Hankooks peaking @1.2x. So I cant agree with them being "junk tires".
That said, I was talking with an instructor at Summit point after we got to run some laps together. I actually told him that I will likely not buy another set of R888Rs. I still think a lot of my lost laptime is from the gearing affected by larger diameter tire. Not so much the tire itself being "junk". I also wanted to have just ONE set of tires to use in wet & dry. May have to rethink that. lol

An HPDE event IMO is closer to endurance racing, where you drive the car just hard enough to make it to the end of the event. Tracktime costs the same, whether you are on track or in the garage wrenching on the car! And I can wrench at home at no extra cost.

Future mods planned: I am seriously considering long tubes. Also looking at tubular K memebers, Maximium Motorsports one.

I developed an exhaust leak the first day at the Glen. I thought I cracked a stock manifold and was ready to upgrade. Only to find I blew out the collector gasket and nothing else... Damn, almost got longtubes.....hehehe

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about your camber statement. I'm running Vorahlag special Forgestar 18x10 on all 4 corners with 295 Hankook RS4s, and I'm running only around -2.2 camber for both street and AutoX use. They fit perfect, and the stance Bros even compliment me on my fitment and "tuck," whatever the hell that means.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused about your camber statement. I'm running Vorahlag special Forgestar 18x10 on all 4 corners with 295 Hankook RS4s, and I'm running only around -2.2 camber for both street and AutoX use. They fit perfect, and the stance Bros even compliment me on my fitment and "tuck," whatever the hell that means.
I cannot add any more camber as the car sits. Either need new cc plates with more adjustment, or camber bolts.
I dont feel I need more camber, and tire wear is good.
295s I could see, but the discussion was additional camber may be needed for 305s. And that is not a valid reason to add camber IMO.
Any clearer?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What I was trying to ask was do you need more camber for 305s? If you do, you can fit 295s with the setup I have and not have to add camber.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think the optimal size vs cost and considering what wheels I have available. 275/35 18 or 275/40 17 is what I will be getting next. I have wheels for both those sizes that clear the front brakes. Unless I upgrade brakes before that time. lol And there are quite a few trackdays left in those 2 sets.

Edit: some quick interweb search 285/35 18 looks like it fits the bill.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back