Achilles Tires on Brembo Wheels.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I just installed Brembo Brakes on a 2014 Base Mustang GT so right now I am using 20mm spacers in the front for clearance with the base wheels. In the mean time, I picked up some used Brembo wheels and have decided to use 245 45 19 Achilles Drift Tires. They are traction rated at AA. Amazon was selling them for $75 each delivered to your door. They sold 50 tires in two days. Walmart has the same tire at the same warehouse for $80 delivered to your door. The Base wheels have 18 inch 10/32 Run Flat tires so I will keep those.
Amazon also has 275 35 19 tires for $73 each to your door but they are 41 lbs vs 26 lbs for the 245 45 19 tires. I think that is too much extra weight. In measuring the tires, seems like the 245 45 19's are much closer to 255 40 19 anyway.

So now I need to find TPMS sensors that work. These can be as cheap is $6 or as much as $60. Any advice???

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So is the question what TPMS sensors you need/should get?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Get an obdlink mx and forscan, shut the tpms stuff off forever.

You're welcome.

MrBhp

Reaction score
What 86 said. There is a lot of hate for the TPMS. Although, I thought the system had gotten better by 2014.... FWIW, I never had one single issue with my 2007 while I was on the original "band" type. I've gone thru multiple different "stem" types, and they all are poop. Constant false readings.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Get an obdlink mx and forscan, shut the tpms stuff off forever.

You're welcome.
i am interested as well as i change my wheels seasonally and would like it to go away

Found this on the site

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/tmps-disable.135609/

i would need a windows based Bluetooth laptop or tablet

install the Forscan software https://order.shareit.com/product?vendorid=200254812&productid=300896178

This OBDlink MX https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

guessing this doesn't mess with my tune and can you walk me through disabling the TPMS ?

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yes I understand Forscan can do that. Not sure what the front end cost would be unless you have a friend who has the system. It's the same for installing a premium cluster. Ford has 15 clusters on the same part number. Only one is the right one. Then there is 5 or so different ways it can be Forscan programmed for 2014. Brakes are one input. Standard, then Brembo, then GT500. PATS is another issue and so is mileage. Mileage can not be changed by Forscan.

One thing for sure, junkyards remove the sensors right away and for some unknown reason, they never seem to sell them. They must have 1000's by now. On Motor Trend show Junkyard Kingdom near Washington DC, they say a aluminum company pays them 20 to 30 dollars a wheel and they just sold $17,000 worth of wheels to this aluminum company.

So is the question what TPMS sensors you need/should get?

That would come under the word ADVICE.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well, with all the superfluous blabbering about tires and prices that has to be waded through one likes to be certain... because "any advice" could be taking a lot of ways as it's open ended and while it follows the comment on the sensors, it certainly could be about anything....

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
and you say I am blabbering. I know there are 100 different ways with TPMS systems. It was originally designed by Rocket Scientist for NASA to land the space shuttle. So it is a Rocket Science Question. I was hoping someone would say, "well I know you can use TPMS units out of a Ford Focus". For sure this is a Tire and Wheel thread and TPMS sensors are not Tires and Wheels. So maybe this needs moved again to "What Have You Done with Your TPMS Today"?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried looking for I don’t know, oem tpms sensors? Or what about the ones in your current wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd just like to say this thread is on par with ones on "how is trump doing" and "corona" and "mail in voting."

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oh sweetie.... unbunch your panties

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
i am interested as well as i change my wheels seasonally and would like it to go away

Found this on the site

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/tmps-disable.135609/

i would need a windows based Bluetooth laptop or tablet

install the Forscan software https://order.shareit.com/product?vendorid=200254812&productid=300896178

This OBDlink MX https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

guessing this doesn't mess with my tune and can you walk me through disabling the TPMS ?

there's a thread elsewhere on here with the details on what line to edit, let's see here...

Mustang S197 2005-2009 programmable Codes - FORScan forum

Here's what you need. And I'm glad you asked because I need to save this post offline.

if you are just an ordinary dude who hates hassle just get the tire shop to set you up, i'm sure they'll have the wireless tool I used to use to repogram whatever junk they put in the wheel. Personally I had 8 sets of ford bands at one time and was happy to throw them all out. I would not use aftermarket parts as my time and avoidance of aggravation is more valuable than a few extra bucks. there is a (iirc,) cr2032 battery in there behind the potting in the ford sensors that a guy could replace! I also know I replaced the bands with large hose clamps a time or to, and used some kind of double sided adhesive...

If these are stem sensors my advice carries. Ford parts. Someone at Tasca has a nice bass boat from all the $$ I spent.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have three fords with stem mounted TPMS. Two of them have two sets of tires and wheels. One for set summer and one set for winter. Both sets have Ford brand TPMS and I have no problems what so ever swapping them back and forth. Only alarm when a tire is low. If I get brave and go to town with slicks and skinnies on the Mustang, it will light the tire symbol before I get back home because there’s no TPMS in the race tires. I simply reset it when I put the street tires back on. What’s the beef ?

damnit.gif

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Agreed, but at least its car related. On a similar note, should I get vinyl stripes? What color?

Well, on a tire related note, which is best, glue on white letters or the yellow ones? How much horsepower do they add?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, on a tire related note, which is best, glue on white letters or the yellow ones? How much horsepower do they add?

Dollar store off-brand White-out is the hot ticket. Best of both worlds-yellow in some lighting, white-ish at other times.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Since I do not have a tire machine, I will talk to my installer tomorrow. I really do not want to disturb my existing tires. Maybe I will have to.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I bought OEM Ford sensors off eBay sellers for about $60, shipped from a US location.
I could've gotten them as cheap as $40/set if I was willing to send my money to China.

As far as tires for the Brembo-style 19x9 wheels, they're meant for a 255-265 tire. A 245 will be narrow and will be "stretched" across, so very easy to curb a wheel since they'll be wider than the tires.
A 265/40/19 would fit great on there, and if you're willing to deal with a little sidewall bulge, a 275/40/19 would also work very well. Others have done it and it's a great size.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The measured size seem to be a good 255 inches wide and I count 27.5 inches tall. So they do seem somewhat bigger then 245/45/19. I now have 245/45/18s on the front with a 20mm spacer and I am about 2mm in one side and about 5mm on the other inside the fender well. Then I found out one fender is 3mm wider then the other. Maybe factory tolerance for ford stampings. So these Achilles tires seem to be on the plus side in factory tolerance. All the rage these days is to use 1 inch spacers for the poked look.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back